PDA

View Full Version : Cinematic Effects in Valve's Source Engine

Tonedef
12-09-2005, 10:03 PM
I dunno how many of you will care...but I think this is awesome and, aside from the filmgrain, would look awesome ingame. Nice to see Valve pushing their engine. Good read nonetheless :)

http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2005/12/09/source_film_effects/ (http://www.bit-tech.net/gaming/2005/12/09/source_film_effects/1.html)

leuey
12-09-2005, 11:42 PM
wow - i think the mo-blur and dof is pretty cool. Not too crazy about the grain - but I like the CC and the potential for machina is amazing. I love those guys (sniff).

-Greg

heavyness
12-09-2005, 11:58 PM
actually, the grain effect is used in Condemned [for Xbox 360]. when your characters "senses" something, the screen slowly goes black and white and get all grain'y. nice effect.

as for these effects being put into the engine [for free] for some machina to use, then great. glad Valve continues to give.

leuey
12-10-2005, 08:43 AM
Just watched the movie - I think this is amazing. The potential for this is.......wow. I'm surprised nobody else is commenting.

-Greg

Fahad
12-10-2005, 09:12 AM
"Dug in, our fearless Reichwarriors prepare to re-liberate French-occupied France!..."

---

nice pics.

Steve Green
12-10-2005, 12:25 PM
I think this a great move and long overdue, I do a lot of sweetening of my 3D shots in combustion, and the difference between the plain 3D and the comped one is night and day.

It's going to be great when the DOF and Moblur can be improved further so you get proper bokeh on the out-of-focus areas and bright highlights streak on the motion blur, but DOF like that is pretty CPU intensive.

The only thing which is going to be a giveaway is that if you're going for a film look then you need to lock the frame rate at 24fps, which isn't great for gaming...

- Steve

CGTalk Moderation
12-10-2005, 12:26 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.