PDA

View Full Version : "Gollum" by Andy Bee - WIP

BuzzUK
12-09-2005, 03:13 PM
Hi

Thought you might want a look at an image ive drawn in Photoshop CS on a Cintiq 21UX:

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/andrewbee2005/images/newpaintings/gollum.jpg

It started off as a pencil sketch:

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/andrewbee2005/images/newpaintings/gollumpencil_small.jpg

which i painted over in oils and it was driving me crazy so i threw it away. Sometime later, i found a scan of it on my PC and when i got my Cintiq i decided to give it another go and this was the result. Just need to finish the hair and his hand.

I hope you like it :)

Thanks

Andy Bee

BuzzUK
12-09-2005, 07:21 PM
Since my other post hasnt appeared, here is a portrait of my wife, i also did this in PS, i worked from a photo of her at a wedding where she was a bridesmaid:

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/andrewbee2005/images/newpaintings/paula.jpg

Almost there, just need to add the Tiara and perhaps the shoulders.......oh and some eyelashes would be good too :)

carlsden
12-09-2005, 11:19 PM
very nice. carry on the good work

Euphrosyne
12-09-2005, 11:51 PM
Nice work! I am looking forward to seeing more.

BuzzUK
12-10-2005, 12:08 AM
Thanks :) im working on some other things too. ill post as soon as they are worth showing.

BuzzUK
05-16-2006, 10:59 PM
http://web.ukonline.co.uk/andrewbee2005/images/newpaintings/gollumlarge.jpg

Well i finally got around to doing some more and i think ive nearly finished this one. :applause: I may submit this to the 2D finished thread, unless anyone has some good crits?.

Once this one is done and dusted, I can then concentrate on my Sharpe picture(click on the link in my Sig).

Rybbb
05-17-2006, 12:10 AM
I prefer the attachment sketch, the painted version is a bit too static as for me, but still very impressive

Mikevisetsouk
05-17-2006, 12:36 AM
Yes, very nice. Gorgeous details. The gollum has a sort of clean look to it..a sort of soft ambiant lighting as you would see some photographers use. It's as if youre sort of giving the character a glamourous appeal, regardless of it's more...hideous position in the movie.

audit
05-17-2006, 12:41 AM
oh my god you have a cintiq....................................................................!

sorry..

well, it is impressive work, but i find you've made it a bit flat in painting it. This is probably why the sketch looks good, better probably than this version. I would love to see you push the values more, and try to really delineate the bone/muscle structure and fleshy feeling of the gollum. You could add more chaos to the wrinkles, make them less uniform, and vary the depth of shading within each to add some variety...also you might experiment with some warmer tones, reflected light and transluceny effects (esp. in the ears)

and maybe make your textures more apparent? just my preference though..

eishiya
05-17-2006, 01:49 AM
I don't know what your wife looks like, but I think the face in your rendition of her is too large and perhaps a bit too high on the head. Also, her teeth should probably be smaller, unless you're going for some sort of caricature effect.

Nice job on the gollum, but I agree with the others, it does need a bit more chaos and texture.

Runecaster
05-17-2006, 01:50 AM
^^ I agree with Audit... a more texturized version would suit this character better. Grittier, grimier, more evil -- even if you were trying to paint Smeagol at his best, he is dastardly wicked. This looks almost sanitized.

Sorry! Just my opinion about Gollum. As far as technique goes, it's looking good :)

pap87
05-17-2006, 11:20 AM
"...tasty fish, so juicy swEEEEEt"

anyway

I think gollum could do with softer highlights, it will help make him look dirtier. Also his chin looks a little too chunky.

But your technique is good!
Keep it up!:thumbsup:

BuzzUK
05-17-2006, 06:53 PM
Thanks for taking the time to reply. :thumbsup:

It looks like ill have to hang on to this for a bit and add some more texture, ive already overlayed one subtle texture to rough the skin up, ill have to add more i guess, and perhaps work on the wrinkles like some of you have mentioned :D

Oh and btw, my missus *is* kinda funny looking, just like the picture. :D

BuzzUK
05-17-2006, 09:21 PM
Hi all, Ive updated the above attachment with a new image(So you may need to refresh the page). Ive basically added more texture to the skin, blended the face into the green mist(to help reduce flatness), altered the eyes to squint more(so he looks more suspicious/evil) and increased the contrast a bit(so the image isnt washed out as it was).

Still need to tinker with the wrinkles though.

CGTalk Moderation
05-17-2006, 09:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.