PDA

View Full Version : STUDY: Gaming 'Damages Inhibitions Against Violence'

RobertoOrtiz
12-09-2005, 01:21 PM
Quote:
"The research was conducted by Bruce Bartholow (pictured), assistant professor of psychological sciences at the University of Missouri-Columbia.

His study was based around showing images to people and measuring their reactions. He showed young men images that were violent or non-violent, and asked them to rate their feelings on the image. Game-players were more likely to be nonchalant about the violence than non-game players, suggesting that they are immune to such images.

The men were also invited to play simple games against opponents in other rooms. Winners were allowed to send an unpleasant, loud blast to their defeated opponents. Game players were more likely to make their foes suffer than non-game players.

It may be worth noting that very similar studies have produced the opposite conclusion. In one such study, violent-game players and non-gamers each issued noise blasts at people. In that study, the gamers administered the lowest intensity noise blasts.

Bartholow said, in his experience, non-violent games had no effect on players, but first person shooters did increase aggression and immunity to violent images."

>>LINK<< (http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1829&Itemid=2)

-R

laureato di arte
12-09-2005, 01:35 PM
Quote:

The men were also invited to play simple games against opponents in other rooms. Winners were allowed to send an unpleasant, loud blast to their defeated opponents. Game players were more likely to make their foes suffer than non-game players.

-R

lol that is just cruel

Cyborgguineapig
12-10-2005, 03:36 AM
Quote:

-R

Non-game players are obviously boring people with no sense of humour. of-course they won't toot the obnoxious loud blast, because they suck!:p

On a more serious note though,violent first person shooters probably have slightly desensitized me but not as much as the repetitive depressing daily news or the the crazy videos you can see on the internet on some sites. So basically what this research proves is that gamers have more freedom in expressing one of man's natural instincts. Yes, thats right, the natural instinct of tooting your horn in voctory over your rival. The problem with these tests, research projects ect is that they always try to evaluate the human in terms of being perfect(good,non-violent), or evil,violent(bad). Their biggest mistake is in thinking games make people violent when in fact we are a violent species to begin with, games simply are to the human as the ball and spring toy are to a cat...both simply stimulate the natural violent or competitive tendency thats always been inside from the beginning no matter what genre of game first person shooter or not.

The way these articles make people seem is that the ones who show less emotion towards violence are leaning on the un-human side. But shouldn't it really be the other way around?
So someone grew a thicker skin by being exposed to violence, that makes them less normal?

The fact that we are a society which once approved of public gladiatorial events for ENTERTAINMENT just shows us in our real hidden light.

And the fact that the current human survived the test of competision when their were infact several other rival species who were capable of stone tools, hunting, cultur ect just goes to show that we were at one time (and sometimes still are) thee most violent predator on earth and likely forced ( slaughtered) our competitors to extnction..

So I take a lot of this hibab and game research with a grain of salt.

EpShot
12-10-2005, 03:57 AM
well it proves people who play games are more compeditive.
and someoen who has a mild additude towards violence is more liekly to play violent games.

now, i would say that violent games would desensitize oen to violence, makes sence. but these studies don't prove that. they dont' show cause and effect. they show a single layer of facts. sigh, what happend to serious scientific research(that retorecle, i'm quite familiar with many advances being done by veyr intelligent people,)

PhantomDesign
12-10-2005, 05:26 AM
This ‘study’ is clearly not scientific research – I mean seriously - going from "tooting a victory horn" to "violence" is a big jump! What should we expect - any more I can't be offended by "studies" like this – just another news-about-nothing. :shrug:

Pin_pal
12-10-2005, 05:35 AM
Hmm.... link seems to be broken... KILL THEM!!1!

agreenster
12-10-2005, 05:50 AM
Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...........

gilley
12-10-2005, 07:39 AM
Damn that rock n' roll music!

tozz
12-10-2005, 11:38 AM
here we go again :)

Poisen
12-10-2005, 11:43 AM
if this is the case i have finally figured out the root of all evil and violence...
CARs...im always blasting loud honks at my opponents "other vehicles"...
usually feeling pretty violent too! lol
JB.

JeroenDStout
12-10-2005, 01:50 PM
It'd be nice is the 'makes people violent'-camp would come with real studies just one time...

gunslingerblack
12-10-2005, 02:12 PM
they should do a study on parents that allow thier children to be raised by television and video games and parents that actually raise thier children and see what kind of behavioral differences develop in the two.

instead of blaming video games, which increase my reflexes and hand eye coordination.

hmm, i wonder since i play video games am i more likely to act than someone else in any given situation? like if a building is burning would i be more likely to run in to get people out than some other average non video gaming joe?

now that's a study right there, do videogames make people more impulsive in a positive way?

TheChosen1
12-10-2005, 11:35 PM
These articles piss me off. *punches mother in the face*

PhantomDesign
12-11-2005, 08:21 AM
These articles piss me off. *punches mother in the face*
MOM, GET ME MY CHOCOLATE MILK!!! :D

Iysun
12-11-2005, 10:35 AM
I don't even want to ask how much money was wasted on another one of these silly no brainer studies. If I did decide to listen to these studies then I guess I am an oddball. I have been playing video games pretty much religously since my Dad bought me an Atari when I was like 4 years old, and I detest any real life sensless violence.

How in the world do you judge how violent, or I guess in this case how immune to seeing violence someone is just by looking at pictures though? sheesh. Mr. scientist failed to realise there is a big diffence between seeing an image and commiting a real life crime.

pssst.... its the parenting not the gaming.

Sagii
12-11-2005, 01:14 PM
I love videogames, and play violent games all the time and it hasnt made me a violent person at all. When I see violence between people I cant stand it.. if I see a real life fist fight I get physically sick and nauseas... even if it is in tv, to see a movie about people being tortured or cruelly hurt it makes me cry and I get really really upset. I ran out of my classroom when they showed us "American History X" and "Blood in Blood out"... my teachers should have really put out a warning! :rolleyes:

That said, this is my personal experience.. people vary from person to person and I think since videogames are such a huge part of our culture, daily life and upbringing that it is good for researchers and society in general to ask questions on what influence (good or bad) does videogames have on people in general as well as a society.

Psychologists do research about everything and anything in order to undestand the human mind better.. since videogames are huge it would be silly for them to ignore videogames and their role in society today.... As long as it is clinical, unbiased scientific research, with control groups and proper measures Im all for it :thumbsup:

If is some wacky bad run research with alarmists trying to blame videogames for violence in the world then I am compelty against it. I hate it when people say " those guys blew up that church, killed 100 people and raped all those women because they play videogames and videogames made them violent :rolleyes: yeah right.

trthing
12-14-2005, 04:17 PM
HERE (http://www.theonion.com/content/node/43441)

A solution for all this mess... at last!

Trojan123
12-14-2005, 05:00 PM
Quote:
"The research was conducted by Bruce Bartholow (pictured), assistant professor of psychological sciences at the University of Missouri-Columbia.

His study was based around showing images to people and measuring their reactions. He showed young men images that were violent or non-violent, and asked them to rate their feelings on the image. Game-players were more likely to be nonchalant about the violence than non-game players, suggesting that they are immune to such images.

It may be worth noting that very similar studies have produced the opposite conclusion. In one such study, violent-game players and non-gamers each issued noise blasts at people. In that study, the gamers administered the lowest intensity noise blasts.

Bartholow said, in his experience, non-violent games had no effect on players, but first person shooters did increase aggression and immunity to violent images."

>>LINK<< (http://www.next-gen.biz/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1829&Itemid=2)

-R

All I can say is that anything that de-sensitizes people to violence is not really a good thing.

SB

ChrisThatGuy
12-14-2005, 05:29 PM
Something I was wondering about this whole topic a while ago:

What if these studies are noticing an effect but misattributing the cause? I'll explain:

I'll admit, I play a lot of games, so you can take this with as big a grain of salt as you like, and you can figure out my opinion on the subject from my sig line at the bottom of this post. I also watch a lot of movies and TV of all varieties, not just violent ones. I'm not very sensitive to violence on a screen anymore , but I'm also not sensitive anymore to images of cute puppies, flags waving, fireworks, trains rushing towards the camera, panoramic vistas, aliens, dragons, unicorns, butterflies, forest fires or little lost orphans.... as long as they're on a screen. In person, I tend to admire fireworks, get out of the way of trains, fawn over puppies, stay away from forest fires, etc.

What if exposure to violent games ( ...TV / movies / rock and roll / talkies ...) doesn't desensitize us to violence, but rather to the sway that artificial images hold over us? The reason their test subjects might not react to the violent images is because they recognize it as just an image, and nothing more.

Rudity
12-14-2005, 06:39 PM
All I can say is that anything that de-sensitizes people to violence is not really a good thing.

SB

Awww, whats wrong with hockey?

UrbanFuturistic
12-14-2005, 07:36 PM
What if exposure to violent games ( ...TV / movies / rock and roll / talkies ...) doesn't desensitize us to violence, but rather to the sway that artificial images hold over us? The reason their test subjects might not react to the violent images is because they recognize it as just an image, and nothing more.

Actually, I was already going to post about the rigorously scientific study done where a group of pre-teens were shown Films and TV programmes with lots of violence in them.

What they discovered was that this exposure did nothing to desensitese them to images of real violence; Even when they could watch gory horror movies with no sign of even discomfort they were still visibly upset by the kinds of images shown just on the 6O'Clock News.

...and I really don't think it's that much of a leap to transfer this to video/computer games. Fake violence desensitises people to fake violence, it's called being able to distinguish between the real world and the non-real world, something the vast majority of humans have the ability to do.

Sheesh.

Edit: Also, what this 'study' failed to do was ask any of the gamers if they watched a lot of CNN, I mean, don't news channels have a lot of 'desensitising' images?

regards, Paul

ekah
12-14-2005, 07:46 PM
HERE (http://www.theonion.com/content/node/43441)

A solution for all this mess... at last!

That is hilarious. I can't stop laughing. Love the Onion.

Excerpt from the Onion:

"With Stacker, the player interacts with an environment full of boxes—lightweight, uniformly brown boxes with rounded corners—and uses diligence and repetitive hard work to complete his mission," said Doug Benzies, Stacker's chief developer. "We're confident that the new 'reluctantly interactive' content engine we designed will prevent any excitement or emotional involvement, inappropriate or otherwise, on the part of the player."

To avoid any appearance of suggestive or adult situations, the graphics consist entirely of rectangular polygons rendered in shades of brown against a simulated gray cinderblock wall. The game is free-roaming inside the warehouse environment, meaning that no goals are set for stacking a certain number of boxes, nor is there a time limit for the stacking. The health-level bar remains at a constant peak, and the first-person perspective avoids the problem of players identifying too closely with the main character, whose name is never specified and to whom nothing actually happens."

XLNT-3d
12-14-2005, 09:25 PM
like if a building is burning would i be more likely to run in to get people out than some other average non video gaming joe?

now that's a study right there, do videogames make people more impulsive in a positive way?

gamers would probably die. They are used to having multiple lives and other virtual health extenders. They would also be too busy trying to pick up bonus items while running through the building.

pgp_protector
12-14-2005, 09:28 PM
gamers would probably die. They are used to having multiple lives and other virtual health extenders. They would also be too busy trying to pick up bonus items while running through the building.

Where's the Control panel, I want to enter God mode :D

trthing
12-14-2005, 09:35 PM
That is hilarious. I can't stop laughing. Love the Onion.

Isn't it?

My favorite part is:

..."We're just giving kids what their parents say they need," said Take-Two vice president of marketing Allyson Spicer. "In today's economic environment, it's foolish not to listen to the people who dislike everything about our products."...:scream:

visionist
12-14-2005, 09:50 PM
"It can reduce inhibitions against aggressive behavior and increase the possibility of inflicting violence on others."

This is just a theory and assumption. If someone doesn’t quiver because he sees blood and gore doesn't mean he's going to inflict violence on others, look at doctors. My opinion, he just debunked all of his research with this comment.

LmB

CGTalk Moderation
12-14-2005, 09:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.