PDA

View Full Version : Trouble to substitute geometry maya 7.0!

doude
12-09-2005, 09:27 AM
:) Hello everyone,

I 've been using maya 7.0 for few days ago and I need to use the "substitute geometry" tool which allows to get directly the new skinned model.

So I have a model already skinned weighted. and I want to replace this model with the new one. Sometimes, it's working and sometimes not, I can't understand.
This is not working now and the warning message appears: "Warning: No deformers found attached to the geometry."

Even on the help of maya, there is nothing about deformers and substitute geometry.

I'd like to know what to do exactly to make it working. If someone has some informations about this, It's very nice.

Thank you very much guys.

Doude

sabathyus
12-20-2005, 09:41 PM
i think the "No deformers found attached to the geometry." Comes from what you choose first. You need to pick the bound object first, then it's replacement. not the other way around.

my problem is getting the new geometry weighted after it works. I paint the weights on the new geometry and it doesn't react ie: I add geometry to the elbow, substitute it, an of course the elbow area is not weighted. I paint weights, and it still doesn't move with the character. What's up with this tool?

underearth
12-21-2005, 04:32 AM
why don't you save weight and then reimport

there arte also some nice scripts to do that toooooooo

Dromond
12-26-2005, 08:39 PM
I have the same problem as the first poster. I'm definitely selecting the models in the correct order, too. I've gotten this command to work on some characters but yet I get this error on other very similarly setup characters. I can't figure it out!

doude
01-12-2006, 02:25 AM
Hi there,

Yeah, it seems to be a bug, finally...
If anyone get a new information about this trouble. please, post it.

Thanks a lot to all.

Dromond
01-12-2006, 05:36 PM
I'm still getting the "No deformers found attached to the geometry." error, and it's with a different set of models this time. It's rather frustrating, really!

seven6ty
01-12-2006, 05:52 PM
Maya has problem changing geometry if it is already skinned and weighted. If you change the number of verts or the vertex order, screwy things are going to happen regardless. It's best to just try and do any model changes before skinning.

Dromond
01-12-2006, 06:08 PM
Maya has problem changing geometry if it is already skinned and weighted. If you change the number of verts or the vertex order, screwy things are going to happen regardless. It's best to just try and do any model changes before skinning.

Fair enough. Too bad our production schedule didn't allow that. Time for some re-weighting! *sigh*

seven6ty
01-12-2006, 06:13 PM
Yah, check highend3d though, there is a good script I remember finding over there that will save the skinned info directly onto an extra vertex attribute so you can unskin the geom, alter it, and skin it back and the skinning info for each vert that you already painted the weights for should be reapplied. Not sure of it's exact name, but googling it twice it wasn't very hard to find, but yeah, should be easy too, already knowing that it's over there.

I know maya7.0 has several new features which is supposed to help this kind of stuff, but I haven't used it yet, nor have I heard much of how successful it is, but I would be weary of it.

doude
01-13-2006, 01:36 AM
Hey Seven6Ty,

Thanks a lot for your suggest, your point of view is really welcomed and interesting.
I think alias should do something for this trouble, because the particularity of this tool is especially to change model when the skin is already applied. If it's not working when the skin is applied, what the hell this tool is useful for?
I will check it out this plugin for maya immediatly on Highend.
Thanks!
Gambate guys.

Andrei2k
01-20-2006, 06:27 AM
Why arent you guys binding a referenced model in the rig file? THis would solve everyones problems with maximum flexibility and minimal weights adjustments.

doude
01-20-2006, 08:55 AM
Hello andrei,

Well, It's a very nice idea...However, the magical thing with the substitute geometry was that you don't have to rebind your model. With using reference, if you add for example some vertex or if you refine the model, you have to adjust the skin in the rig file after...

But I can say your technique is the best so far, definitely using this.
Thanks for your share. :)

yenvalmar
01-31-2006, 05:22 AM
if you are using smooth binding, theres also the export/import skin weights function, the one that writes out a map for every joint and takes a long time.. you can write out the weight maps on your original mesh, delete history and do whatever edits, then re bind it and import the weight maps. you also have to be carefull if you are binding to selected joints to save the selection set as its happy if you have the exact same joints. but hey. its never perfect but i have had it get me in the ballpark, as long as your UVs dont substantially change (assuming you are using poly meshes)..

this is a bit of a tangent but just in general due to these issues with it being a pain to edit bound meshes, i try to make things work as much as possible without having to edit weights, so that its easy to re bind the mesh if you have to. maya seems happier using a ton of joints to controll things, rather than few joints with elegantly painted weights. of course if you use lots of joints you need complexity in the rig to controll the joints, so depending on your exact talents or interest, one approach or the other may suit you..

CGTalk Moderation
01-31-2006, 05:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.