PDA

View Full Version : Question about IK, Expression and bones

Carm3D
11-23-2002, 10:27 PM
Hello..

I have a rather elaborate neck setup, and getting it to work is frustrating..

I have a big neck_IK bone that doesn't control geometry.. It IK's to a heal_IK null. Then I have 3 neck bones that do control geometry.. I was wanting these neck bones to bend around via expression based on the movements of the neck_IK bone. But I'm realizing that having the neck_IK bone targeting or IK'ing to another item is not creating actual keyframes... and expression seem to look for keyframes. Is there a way to do this?

I would eventually like the Head bone to follow the XY and Z position of the last neck bone, and HP and B would follow the Head_IK controller object.

Any thoughts? :shrug:

its837
11-24-2002, 12:28 AM
if you want to use expresions based on the neck bone you can ad motion baker to the neckbone and it will lay down keyframes as it goes

but it used to be really crapy and slow maybe good in 7.5 havent tried it though

or i think you can refrence world coordinates when writing expresions that might work alittle different but im not sure

-hamburgers

SplineGod
11-24-2002, 01:26 AM
On my website in the rigging section I have a simple example of animating a long neck with IK.
Another ways is to screw using the expressions...too much setup time and you have only a limited amount of control.
Heres what I do:
Select all the bones in the neck and create a selection set in the scene editor. With the bones all selected you can rotate them all together ADDITIVELY. The selection set allows you to select that group of bones all the time.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.