PDA

View Full Version : Check out my new squash/stretch animation!

ryankittleson
02-28-2002, 02:20 AM
Hey everybody!

I just finnished a new 3D animation that was originally just meant to be a test for a larger animation I'm planning, but this turned out good enough to stand on it's own (I think). The flat environment is intentional, I wanted the animation to be the focus (ok, so I watched TRON before starting it :rolleyes: )

Anyway, let me know what you think and, yes, I am looking for a job.

see it in full divx 640x480 glory at: www.brainbutter3d.com/metamorphic.avi
1.5 minutes, 5 megs.

http://www.brainbutter3d.com/mmshot.jpg

TheDevil[DK]
02-28-2002, 03:30 AM
nice nice...one detail...I think he's reflex's are to fest when the wall pops up,,,I think it's impossible to react that fast !!!

Edgemaster
02-28-2002, 03:42 AM
Pretty cool animation...The only thing is when the wall pops up maybe some sound effect or something....Other than that looks real good.....

right eye
02-28-2002, 04:22 AM
Well you can't go wrong w/ Rush.....
nice choice in music

Flynn
02-28-2002, 04:46 AM
you did a really good job conveying emotion of the character.

Gilgamesh
02-28-2002, 06:32 AM
That is the most animated glob I have ever seen. Good job.

CHRiTTeR
02-28-2002, 06:46 AM
Verry good attmept at giving emotions to a stone. And even more succeeded in it!

My 10year old neece after seeing that animation:
"Do stones really live?" :)

ryankittleson
02-28-2002, 07:40 PM
I just remembered a specific question I had about how the animation was recieved. you see, since the rock has no distinguishing 'front' side, I just picked one side and had him face forward with that side through the whole animation. Is it clear to the viewer that a certain side is front facing? or should I add a visual clue to show what side is front? Or is it even neccissary to maintain a front side? could it arbitrarily change?

thanks!

leigh
02-28-2002, 08:13 PM
WOW that is really great, Brainbutter!!!! Excellent work!!!
The personality of the blob is awesome!!!
Very very well done! :)

Totitch
02-28-2002, 09:49 PM
It's Amazing!!!

You are a Great Animator!!!

Can you show me how you put bones in it???
The stone is so in live!!! Please...Give us Tips!

What soft do you us???

ryankittleson
03-01-2002, 04:15 AM
sure, totich, I used 3DSmax4.2....I'm thinking of doing a proper tutorial of how to set this kind of animation up, but it's really so simple. you just put one dummy at the top, one at the bottom, skin them to the mesh (making the blend as big and smooth as possible), link the head dummy to the bottom dummy and have at it. plus a little FFD for the breathing/toe-tapping, Plus a light that animates the shadow to get blurier and less dense while the rock is farther off the ground (a little area-light fake that works in a few situations like this one.)

just a bunch of simple tricks and nonsense

right eye
03-01-2002, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by Mr_Wolf
its a very bad ...
go a way

Mr Wolf

One of the great things about CG Talk is the criticism. Both good and bad help give a new perspective. But if your going to criticize at least give reasons. Otherwise your post is just taking up space.

pascal_blanche
03-01-2002, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by right eye

Mr Wolf

One of the great things about CG Talk is the criticism. Both good and bad help give a new perspective. But if your going to criticize at least give reasons. Otherwise your post is just taking up space.

.............I removed the quote mentionned........

btw..good anim brain butter ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.