PDA

View Full Version : Improving Photoshop

griffdrc
12-08-2005, 09:23 PM
i am looking to improve my photoshop skills and was wondering if there are any books that you would suggest... thxs...

Crazzy Legs
12-08-2005, 09:34 PM
what do you want to become better at.
Basic skills I would recommend are knowing the hotkeys. That speeds things up big time.
Do you know how to bring up the magnifing glass. Do you understand the mathmatical operations that accure with basic blending modes "screen", "multiply", "difference", "overlay"? So if I asked you to write out the equations for each, would you be able to? Do you know the difference between "fill percent" and "opacity percent" with layers?

There are a ton of books out there. The truth is most of them are the same and most of them teach you a lot of the samethings found in the manual just reworded. There are a couple of really good ones out there.

So, what do you use photoshop for most often or what do you want to do with it? Thats probobly a good question to answer, so we can recommend a good book? Even if I don't recommend anything, somebody else will be able to.

griffdrc
12-09-2005, 05:06 AM
sorry for the vague question... looking back on it it isn't very specific... i already do a lot of photo editing... i am fairly comfortable there... i would like to improve my painting skills... i have seen some amazing work on here and i know it takes some natural talent... something to work on in my spare time... thxs

Jozvex
12-09-2005, 05:08 AM
Check out this thread in the Art Theory forum:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=226083

Has lots of great book suggestions etc!

griffdrc
12-09-2005, 04:18 PM
thanxs for the link... there is some great stuff there...

Jack Youngblood
12-09-2005, 10:03 PM
To learn PS there is nothing better than having some specific project that we want to do with it. In teaching this is called student-based learning. cant be beat.

Sagii
12-10-2005, 06:02 PM
Best way to improve your skills is to do it everyday.. I way I learned photoshop is by doing the daily sketch here as often as I could. In the first year I improved a LOT .... if I had done a sketch everyday I would probably be pretty decent at it now.. but oh well, I didnt.. I just need to get into the habit of doing it.

:D DSG FORUM JOIN ! (http://forums.cgsociety.org/forumdisplay.php?f=130)

EricUNSL
12-10-2005, 07:02 PM
The best digital painters I know all have a strong traditional art background. Why not learn to do it the old fashion way and then apply what you've learned to the digital stuff. Don seegmiller put out two excellent books on digital painting but also does amazing traditional work as well. PS is just a tool. Good luck.

-NG-
12-13-2005, 09:44 PM
Take the adobe books if you want to learn the tools, but its basicly that. If you want to go deeper i suggest search for art and design books, basicly depends what you want to do in ps.

There's 1 book i founded pretty helpfull, Extreme Photoshop by Matt Kloskowski, he describes various kind of art and techniques in his book. :)

amn7
12-15-2005, 07:59 AM
Take photos and make adjustment or some editing will surely improve your skill. :)

roguenroll
12-15-2005, 04:50 PM
theres about 10 great concept and mattepaint DVDs at Gnomon, a couple are Painter, but a large majority are PS, if thats your interest, landscapes, perspective, etc. nice stuff.

CGTalk Moderation
12-15-2005, 04:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.