PDA

View Full Version : WIP: Game Character

M3anBONE_SJ_
12-08-2005, 09:18 PM
This is a new model i've been working on the past month. It's still needs texture work and a few tweaks with the mesh, other than that, it's nearly complete. Comments and suggestions would be appreciated. http://www.orvillevillanueva.com/natalie/rdypose1pan.jpg

itsallgoode9
12-08-2005, 09:43 PM
pretty snazzy character ya got there....one thing I noticed was the color of the skin on her forearm compared to the color of her face. They kinda don't feel like they match up to me...the arm seems alot more pale and has a different, more yellowish tone to it. Definitly a cool piece though

dees
12-09-2005, 02:06 AM
heya mean bone,

lookin pretty good from here. Just a simple question, middle picture, character's right lower arm...... "dark shadow" what is that ? Maybe a small UV glitch. Overall is an A+++ !

Wireframe + texture sample + tris count + details.......... I hope it follow soon :thumbsup:

dees :bounce:

NB: you really work for Sony-EA??

M3anBONE_SJ_
12-09-2005, 03:22 AM
Hey, guys. Thanks for replying to my post, I appreciate it. I'm still trying to get things squared away - putting the textures together into their appropriate panels (2) 1024X1024 body maps and (1) 512x512 head map. I'll get these on here as soon as I finish texturing everything. For now, I can only post the wireframe.

As for the colors, I'm still adjusting things... trying to desaturate some areas as well as add more details. The total tri at this point is 3978, including the sword.

http://www.orvillevillanueva.com/natalie/wireframe.jpg

D4NN0
12-09-2005, 06:52 AM
It looks really cool but something about that right forearm is buggin it kinda looks like a smoothing group issue or something of that nature.

powerACE
12-09-2005, 07:26 AM
wow that's pretty cool! :bounce:

M3anBONE_SJ_
12-10-2005, 01:30 AM
Dees, when i set Maya to render this model, that shadow you're talking about just appeared. I'm assuming it has something to do with the deformation of the elbow. I'm trying to find ways of resolving this without making any heavy modifications.

Thx for the post =)

dreamsunlimited
12-10-2005, 11:35 AM
got job .nice modeling.i personly like her pose.keep it up.:thumbsup:

dees
12-10-2005, 02:46 PM
did you "pre-lighted" the texture ?

If you change the camera angle, does it sticks ?

If you change the pose......... does it sticks also ?

I still say that you got yourself a helluva character with very decent tris-count and shape.:thumbsup:

dees:bounce:

btw.......... howbout a texture map ? small resolution/ thumbnail is fine if you're afraid to jeopardize the work.

M3anBONE_SJ_
12-10-2005, 05:49 PM
I did have to paint in most of the lights and shadows directly onto the textures since I didn't know how to use specular, bump or any other type of mapping - so, I basically just kept things plain in terms of texture application. If I knew how to apply those other types of mapping, it probably would have made things a little less painful.

Dees: " If you change the camera angle, does it sticks ?

If you change the pose......... does it sticks also ?"

I'm not quite sure what you're refering to. The light I can say were left at default. I used Area Lighting (3 sources), and just placed the around the model. When the final render came out using Maya's Metal Ray, the shadows just went off on their own and I didn't make any changes. I guess I just need to tweak the shadow settings a little so they don't come out too dark.

Thx for posting :)

the_podman
12-10-2005, 11:46 PM
What kind of material do you have on her? If you're not using specular mapping, go with a lambert, you won't get those shiny issues with it. If you already are using one, it could be a couple of things. I got those on one of my model's when it was in certain poses. I was able to resolve it by either flipping some triangles or pruning the skin weights. EDIT SMOOTH SKIN>PRUNE SKIN WEIGHTS. In maya, sometimes this annoying thing happens when you are painting weights, you end up with a stray value of like, .023 or something affecting an area waaay off from the joint. Did you know you can also select a bunch of verts in component mode, then go into your EDIT SKIN WEIGHTS tool in the animation shelf, and "flood" those verts with a value of 0 or 1? It's useful for fixing up very small unwanted influences that you sometimes don't notice on your monitor.

Of course, it could also just be the low tesselation of the forearm, it doesn't have many subdivision around the arm.

It's a really nice model, you've captured her asian face perfectly.

M3anBONE_SJ_
12-12-2005, 07:53 AM
I'm experimenting with different hairstyles, dresses, and other little details with this model. I thought the ponytail look was a little plain so I thought about trying this kind of hairstyle out, instead. It's not much of an improvement for the overall look but it helped in covering up mistakes :D

The textures....you know, i'm not even sure...i'm still pretty much a noob when it comes to Maya. All I know how to do is get the textures on there...as far as what type of textures....uhh...all the textures appear to be set to Lambert...I've never really toyed with this section of Maya, manipulating any of the settings under Hypershade. Anyways, here's the new hairstyle. Comments and suggestions would be appreciated. Thx.
http://www.orvillevillanueva.com/natalie/update2.jpg

the_podman
12-12-2005, 08:14 AM
That's really beautiful, dude! I like the new hair. The texture work on the legs is top notch stuff. Excellent capturing of form and volume with some really nice delicate shading work. I wish my first female character looked as good as this. You got the skills, man! I wouldn't worry too much about little "tech" tweaks in Maya. If you can unwrap and paint a texture well(and it's obvious you can), the work will shine.

One thing I will recommend to push it even further(without spec maps) is to set the diffuse channel on the lambert material to 1.00(it's at .8 by default). This will boost the color so it doesn't appear too desaturated.

Something I like to do at the end when I'm done painting the textures... If you take your texture sheets and do a copy merged in PS and place that merged copy on top, then DESATURATE that layer and look at a greyscale of your image. You can start to put tonal balance into the texture. hmmm. kinda hard to explain. I posted a detailed crit about it on this thread over at cgchat:
http://www.cgchat.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22394&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

Basically, you can make parts of the model really "pop" by adjusting tone. Color saturation variations can work like this too.

Anyhow, you probably don't need my advice. It's an excellent peice. :)

-pod

dees
12-12-2005, 08:42 AM
still good........ even tho I prefer the older hair.

Texture shading, on skin-tone is kinda rainbow like.........multiple colors. Poopinmymouth has a good tutorial .......... if I can find it somewhere...... Unless you use photos.....

http://www.poopinmymouth.com/process/character_tutorial/character_process_page_5.htm

dees...

NB: love to see the next render :bounce:.

M3anBONE_SJ_
12-15-2005, 03:35 PM
Okay, I pretty much finished the blouse. I added clothing wrinkles throughout the blouse and added button locks. I'm still adding other bits of detail here and there, hopefully it will come to a point where I can call it done.

http://www.orvillevillanueva.com/natalie/update3.jpg

Aggroblakh
12-15-2005, 05:02 PM
For such a low poly count it looks great. However, one potential problem I can see is that the cloth robes coming from her waist appear to be one-sided planes. I believe most game engines only render one side of a polygon, to optimize gameplay. It's a minor thing, and you could probably get away with it, but just to let you know.

M3anBONE_SJ_
12-15-2005, 11:56 PM
Thanks for the heads-up, Aggro. I'm not too familiar with all the ground rules for producing a game character, only a vague understanding of the polycount factor and texture map sizes. If anyone has a list, or some kind of "tech list" describing what most console-based or current pc-based systems require in terms of character technical requirements, i'd love to know so I can build my next character around those set of rules.

Thx for posting, Aggro

the_podman
12-16-2005, 01:20 AM
The way you can get around that is just to duplicate the cloth and reverse the normals and move it slightly back. It's exactly what I did with one of my game characters.

However, I know that UnrealTournament 2004 supports doublesided materials so I don't think you really need to do that with a lot of the engines. Unless you plan on placing the character in a particular game engine, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

herr
11-15-2006, 08:58 AM
Poddman is right, you don't need to create a double sided cloth. Most or All of the current engines now will let you use double sided texturemaps on your mesh. No need for unnecessary poly count my friend. Excellent work btw.

F3D
11-15-2006, 11:51 AM
Im not a big fan of your poly usage or that you're not using your triangles for any real good.
I do however love the character, maybe you could go for a tad more asian look on her face?

gg!

13thDeV
11-23-2006, 02:43 PM
I like the outfit, and the face looks a bit mystical, which is a plus in my book :D

CGTalk Moderation
11-23-2006, 02:43 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.