PDA

View Full Version : XBOX 360 GAMES: the Good, Bad and the Ugly

RobertoOrtiz
12-08-2005, 08:17 PM
Quote:
"
We've worn our fingers to the bone the past few weeks (just for you) playing through the 18 titles available when the system launched. While the offering is diverse, many of the games are merely visually tweaked versions from the older consoles. Worse, Xbox 360 games can cost a whopping $60 — roughly $10 more than games for older systems.

Here's our take, from best to worst."

>>Link<< (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051208/ap_on_hi_te/games_xbox360_rdp;_ylt=AghshuFuO0J5imPnq266S0Ss0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3cjE0b2MwBHNlYwM3Mzg)

-R

Hazdaz
12-08-2005, 08:38 PM
I see the words "short" listed a little too much for my liking.

If I am going to drop $60 on a game, I want it to atleast give me more than a handful of hours of gameplay. The extra $10 doesn't bother me that much, but a game I can blow through in a weekend definitly does bother me.

urgaffel
12-08-2005, 08:53 PM
I'm not surprised at all... The first year will probably just be souped up pc games. To quote (or try to anyway, don't remember the exact words) Edge magazine: "they have just emptied a bucket of effects over the games". It's probably going to be a while before you get any really interesting and groundbreaking games. The only game that has made me a little interested is Gears Of War (a launch title coming out late next year?) and god knows how that will turn out :)

-Vormav-
12-08-2005, 10:39 PM
Sounds like a pretty standard new-console release to me. I remember how underwhelmed I was when I first picked up my PS2... Game prices were higher, the launch titles were awful (Summoner was the best game out at the time, apart from fighting games), and the only apparent improvement was better graphics (which still wasn't too huge of a jump, when compared with pc games of the time).
I'll definitely give it some time before picking one up myself, though.

heavyness
12-09-2005, 03:37 AM
i remember playing Tekken Tag for the PS2 while i waited for some more good games...

Condemned should be played by all, scary-as-all-hell and good story and good voice acting. if you like Resident Evil of Silent Hill, pick this up.

PGR3 is fun to play, the online options are really taking advantage of the new Live features. and Call of Duty 2 is not a port, it feels like it was built for the 360 from the ground up, the controls are perfect [and i played through CoD1 on the pc]. haven't had time to crack open Kameo, but i hear its good. depressed with FIFA, i was wishing for the FIFA i remember playing years back...

and once again, they didn't review the Xbox 360 Live Aracde Games... come on people! $5 games that are as addicting as crack! Geometry Wars rules and Marble Blast Ultra soon!

also, the Achievments and leaderboards bring more life to these games. like in Condemned, when you unlock an achievement, you unlock concept work, same with Kameo [even old Kameo art from N64 days]. i also listened to a blogcast on www.majornelson.com where he interviewed a tester from Kameo. the tester explained more about the achievments and gave the game even more depth... i can't wait to dive in now! plus, Rare will be unlocking the online co-op mode soon!

SheepFactory
12-09-2005, 03:39 AM
I cant wait for ghost recon 3 to come out for 360. It should be widely available by then too. I really dont want to get it now bundled with 3 games i dont plan on playing and every store I checked out is trying to push down some overpriced bundle down everyones throat.

PhantomDesign
12-09-2005, 05:51 AM
<snip>
Don't take this personally - but objective reviews from someone who works at Microsoft? :hmm:

Tonedef
12-09-2005, 06:03 AM
I have only played display systems containing the demos of CoD2 and Kameo. I must say that they are brilliant games from what I have experienced.

I have played all the way through CoD2 on PC...but playing it on the 360 was infinitely better (and I hate console FPS)! The controls where very natural, gameplay (like the PC one) was breathtaking...and well the 360's graphics where beautiful! Like said above "it feels like it was built for the 360 from the ground up"...it seriously put the PC version to shame.

As for Kameo, I thought it had looked so un-interesting. But since it was not like I had a slew of games to try I gave it a go. I personally thought it was fantastic! My GF watched me playing in awe...it was like playing Zelda:OT x300!! Great game...all that are looking forward to it, but haven't played, should be more than happy :).

Those reviews seem like a stretch to find problems with this launch. Why are so many people so pessimistic?? :(

morimitsu
12-09-2005, 11:04 AM
Sounds like a pretty standard new-console release to me. I remember how underwhelmed I was when I first picked up my PS2... Game prices were higher, the launch titles were awful (Summoner was the best game out at the time, apart from fighting games), and the only apparent improvement was better graphics (which still wasn't too huge of a jump, when compared with pc games of the time).
I'll definitely give it some time before picking one up myself, though.

Is there anyone here who remmembers the first Gran Turismo for PS2?
Comparing it to GT 4, is just unbelivable how they improved it and took full advantage of the hardware. It´s almost if it is from another console.

But I hope PS3 have better games at lauch than XBOX 360, since they have more time to develop them.

laureato di arte
12-09-2005, 01:47 PM
Don't take this personally - but objective reviews from someone who works at Microsoft? :hmm:

In Koles deffence. I must say that he seems quite fair in judgment when it comes to the whole console war thing eventhough he works for microsoft.

Like the car designs on your site by the way.

RobertoOrtiz
12-09-2005, 02:27 PM

In all the time Kole has posted here in our forum, he has been fair and quite objective in his postings.

-R

Sonk
12-09-2005, 03:00 PM
In Koles deffence. I must say that he seems quite fair in judgment when it comes to the whole console war thing eventhough he works for microsoft.

Like the car designs on your site by the way.

I dont know, i cant trust anyone that actually listen to Major Nelson , and takes him seriously;). Major Nelson did a "fair" comparsion about the PS3 vs 360 spec wise..and guess what the 360 was better in most area! OK, im not suprised.

As for the thread, i think GOW would of been a good app, to launch with! I agree with the article, usually launch games arent really worth it. PS2 launch wasnt great either, hopefully the PS3 launch lineup would be better.

heavyness
12-09-2005, 05:00 PM
wow, people defending me [that must mean people actually read my posts... they like me, they truly like me]...

yes i listen to Major Nelson's blogcast, i also listen to Gaming Steve's and others. and if Nintendo and Sony start some up, i'll be listening to them too. also, i don't work for Microsoft, i'm a contracted employee through Filter Talent, i didn't receive a free 360 and i was waiting in the cold just like everyone else.

here ya go...

me and my nintendo posts (http://forums.cgsociety.org/search.php?searchid=2852022)

me defending Kojima's team and MGS4 demo (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=2651177&postcount=90)

i'm camping out for my Revolution on day 1, same for the PS3 [not liking sony lately because of some problems, but i loved my PS2 and PSX], and play my DS daily [Mario Kart ownz all]. and here is a shocker, i didn't buy the original Xbox on day 1... actually, i didn't buy it until Burnout 3 and Halo 2 where out. why? i was skeptic of a Microsoft Video Game System and was actually against it when first announced [oh yes, the truth, it hurts]. but after playing games on Xbox Live i was sold. Microsoft made a believer out of me and i think they are doing a lot of things right and planning for the future..... but i still need a Mario and Zelda fix!

...and i also said FIFA wasn't that great. i chose to put that i'm an artist at Microsoft because i would rather be straight forward with people then hiding it.

hiphopcr
12-09-2005, 05:53 PM
Those reviews are so paltry it makes me doubt they played the games down to the bone - I could've wrote those by just reading some game info off of ign

agreenster
12-09-2005, 07:12 PM
Kameo is NOT Zelda:OT x300! Are they on crack?

Blasphemy!

I was bored 2 minutes into it, and it has sluggish controls and bad animation. And the particle effects actually looked like PS1 in many cases!

BillSpradlin
12-09-2005, 08:40 PM
Actually COD2 was a straight port from the PC to the 360. It's by far the best game for the system out so far, but nothing different in it from the PC version.

Hazdaz
12-09-2005, 08:56 PM
Actually COD2 was a straight port from the PC to the 360. It's by far the best game for the system out so far, but nothing different in it from the PC version.
Welll except that it is running on a $400 console, versus a $1500 PC.
I would call that a huge difference.

opus13
12-09-2005, 09:19 PM

thats a rather useless statement. you forgot to add in the price of the game as well as a display device of equitable resolution... or would adding $60.00 and $1500 just not make your math work to your advantage?

JWRodegher
12-09-2005, 09:45 PM
And you also forget that all you can do with your 400$ system, is play games. Which is cool, but the comparisson was totally unnecesary.

Hazdaz
12-09-2005, 10:48 PM
thats a rather useless statement. you forgot to add in the price of the game as well as a display device of equitable resolution... or would adding $60.00 and $1500 just not make your math work to your advantage?
Why, cuz you get your PC software for free maybe?? So it costs $10 more for the X-box... WOW... there you GOT ME. That makes the PC version sooo much better then. :rolleyes:

Sounds like someone is upset that their $2000 PC is being trumped by a console costing a few hundred bucks. The rest of us are thrilled about that, but whatever. :shrug:

And you haters want to turn this into a PC vs Console war, maybe you should start another thread. The article that was link specifically mentions how faithful the XB360 version is versus the PC version. That is a HUGE selling point for this game, and consoles in general.

heavyness
12-09-2005, 10:52 PM

yes, the game is the same, but the controls are not ported. the controls are very tight [and as the same as Halo] i would rather play this FPS with a controller then a mouse. but, that comes down to everyone's personal taste. give it a fair chance, i think you will be surprised how natural it feels on the 360.

Shaderhacker
12-09-2005, 11:42 PM
Like said above "it feels like it was built for the 360 from the ground up"...it seriously put the PC version to shame.

Uhh.. what kind of PC do you have? If your system has the "beef", it should look identical to the Xbox version.

Also, comparing a gaming console (bought solely for games) and a computer is rather senseless. I would hope that the computer wasn't bought just for games otherwise, your argument would be sound. As it stands a PC purchase is more of an investment in other functions not seen on a gaming console. The games come as an added benefit. ;)

-M

rakmaya
12-10-2005, 12:00 AM
Why, cuz you get your PC software for free maybe?? So it costs $10 more for the X-box... WOW... there you GOT ME. That makes the PC version sooo much better then. :rolleyes:

I don't know about you, Only thing software to you need to play game on PC is Windows Home Endition and the Game itself. You get to do a lot of other things with PC that you can't with the console. I think that comparision is not fair in either sense.

Anyway, back to the topic. I think all games except the COD is a ripoff. All sports games aren't worth a dime. I am waiting for the next batch of games before I put my money into any.

Tonedef
12-10-2005, 12:09 AM
Uhh.. what kind of PC do you have? If your system has the "beef", it should look identical to the Xbox version.

I do have a great system, ran on almost all max settings...but it still had an element on the 360 that made it look so much better. But like you said 'should look identical'

PhantomDesign
12-10-2005, 03:21 AM
In all the time Kole has posted here in our forum, he has been fair and quite objective in his postings.

-R
Fair enough. I wasn't trying to accuse him of anything or offend him, it's just that a bias can be expected when it's related to your 'investments.'

"Kole! Seems you've earned your right of passage! Proceed! ...With HONOR!"
Seems you've earned your rep! As I said - don't take my comments personally! Well - I'd hate to cut everyone out of the discussion that has any relation to the subject at hand - so feel free to continue! :beer:

Like the car designs on your site by the way. Thanks! You'll get a Private Message shortly.

opus13
12-10-2005, 05:57 AM

Sounds like someone is upset that their $2000 PC is being trumped by a console costing a few hundred bucks. The rest of us are thrilled about that, but whatever. :shrug:

And you haters want to turn this into a PC vs Console war, maybe you should start another thread. The article that was link specifically mentions how faithful the XB360 version is versus the PC version. That is a HUGE selling point for this game, and consoles in general.

do you use every post you make as an attempt to lose any modicum of credibility you just might have garnered?

KevinKraeer
12-10-2005, 06:31 AM

Oh Hazdaz, what happened to you? I remember us going down to the beach grabbing a few beers and cruising the local babes. You were so happy-go-lucky and carefree. Now... Gah. So much anger.

AndyH
12-10-2005, 07:20 AM
We've worn our fingers to the bone the past few weeks (just for you) playing through the 18 titles available when the system launched. -R

No we bloody havent!!!

Theres a major stock shortage in the UK - I preordered mine a month ago, and i probably wont get one before christmas due to the paltry amount of stock thats been allocated to the UK.

Bah!

Hazdaz
12-10-2005, 09:07 AM
do you use every post you make as an attempt to lose any modicum of credibility you just might have garnered?
Do you use every post of yours to look like a foolish jackass?
Reading comprehension doesn't seem to be your forte.

I'll re-quote my previous post in this thread... this time, read it slower, and use a dictionary if need be for the larger 5+ letter words.

And here is the quote directly from the article that I was commenting on:

"Call of Duty 2" (Rated T, $59.99). Emotional and intense, this World War II epic is the best first-person shooter available so far. In a recurring theme, it costs $10 more than the PC version for no good reason other than it comes in an Xbox 360 lime-green plastic case. But it's an impressive display of the Xbox 360's power: it ran smoother on the $400 console than it did on my $2,500 gaming PC.

Maybe your closed little mind is blown away by the fact that your over-priced PC is getting hammered by a 'simple' console costing a few hundred dollars - after all the fanboys have to try to justify their wasteful upgrades every 6-months, BUT the rest of us are rather impressed by the fact that they can play such advanced games on such a cheap device. You seem to have more money than sense, but whatever.
Either way, I suggested you drop your PC fanboy-ism in this thread, since after all, it is about the XB360, but you just had to bring it back up again like a total dumbass.

PhantomDesign
12-10-2005, 09:16 AM
Whoa, chill out on the hostility! It's one thing to have an opinion, but avoid making the discussion personal.

Trenox
12-10-2005, 10:21 AM
But you need your 2500$ PC to make 3d anyway ;) - so why not also use it for call of duty (and with a superior controller) and save the 400$ ?

Also when Call of Duty 3 is out and the PC is even stronger, then the xbox doesnt look so hot anymore.

What boggles my mind the most is that it seems that MS is trying to introduce PC games to the xbox instead of making games more specifically for the xbox and taking advantage of the controller (FPS is PC imo - find something else for console like sony and nintendo does). By setting themselves up between 2 chairs is what stops them from achieving greatness imo.

cgtalkiest
12-11-2005, 02:27 AM
But you need your 2500$ PC to make 3d anyway ;) - so why not also use it for call of duty (and with a superior controller) and save the 400$ ?

Also when Call of Duty 3 is out and the PC is even stronger, then the xbox doesnt look so hot anymore.

What boggles my mind the most is that it seems that MS is trying to introduce PC games to the xbox instead of making games more specifically for the xbox and taking advantage of the controller (FPS is PC imo - find something else for console like sony and nintendo does). By setting themselves up between 2 chairs is what stops them from achieving greatness imo.

superior controller my ASS.. plug in your 360 pad into ur USB slot, and NOW you have a superior pad... the pc's needed one for ages...

and well yes, that is all your 'IMO' cos fps is now great on a console... its 2005 now btw;) things have changed since doom and quake.

and finally, when cod3 comes out on pc, devs will have optimized there code to run it smoother than your pc and with no fps drops crappy load times, and several huge hunks of hardware lying around you....

JeroenDStout
12-11-2005, 02:50 AM
But it's an impressive display of the Xbox 360's power: it ran smoother on the $400 console than it did on my $2,500 gaming PC.
Isn't it a public secret they sell consoles at massive loss and the games at massive profit since you're not buying a console without games?

At any rate, the comparison is flawed, considering for a PC you usualy buy a monitor (and a good one, if you can afford 2500), few people buy a tv next to their xbox. PC has a sound system, keyboard, mouse, modem, etc. These things add up massively. I wonder what the actual hardware price on the PC would be compared to the Xbox at a price where MS makes as much profit as retailers do on PC. Wouldn't surprise me if it would add up to PC being just a little more costy - and you pay much more for more items.

No, comparing PC to XBOX is just silly; XBOX to other consoles with equal abilities, ok, but comparing a PC where I can run 3ds Max, Half Life˛, FireFox and Open Office on to a Console where you can play games on is a bit silly.

cgtalkiest
12-11-2005, 12:30 PM
Isn't it a public secret they sell consoles at massive loss and the games at massive profit since you're not buying a console without games?

At any rate, the comparison is flawed, considering for a PC you usualy buy a monitor (and a good one, if you can afford 2500), few people buy a tv next to their xbox. PC has a sound system, keyboard, mouse, modem, etc. These things add up massively. I wonder what the actual hardware price on the PC would be compared to the Xbox at a price where MS makes as much profit as retailers do on PC. Wouldn't surprise me if it would add up to PC being just a little more costy - and you pay much more for more items.

No, comparing PC to XBOX is just silly; XBOX to other consoles with equal abilities, ok, but comparing a PC where I can run 3ds Max, Half Life˛, FireFox and Open Office on to a Console where you can play games on is a bit silly.

o yea, of course... their like chalk and cheese arent they?:rolleyes:

Sagii
12-11-2005, 12:50 PM
My roomate is getting the XBOX 360, my boyfriend is getting the PS3 and I am getting the Nintendo Revolution :) so I can get the best out of all worlds.... I am a zelda freak (see avatar) so I must have a nintendo. :D

As for "is a PC or a console better" it is really a matter of preference... to each their own. I like both really. If I want solo action or play a MMORPG I'll use a PC. To be sprawled out in the couch playing with my friends I like a console... Thats all I am going to say about this.. since this thread is getting a little hostile about peoples opinions :argh: .... *backs away slowly*

Shaderhacker
12-12-2005, 02:16 AM
But like you said 'should look identical'

Well, I bet that they look the same.

-M

Shaderhacker
12-12-2005, 02:37 AM
I'm sorry but I must comment on some of these opinions..

Maybe your closed little mind is blown away by the fact that your over-priced PC is getting hammered by a 'simple' console costing a few hundred dollars - after all the fanboys have to try to justify their wasteful upgrades every 6-months, BUT the rest of us are rather impressed by the fact that they can play such advanced games on such a cheap device. You seem to have more money than sense, but whatever.
Either way, I suggested you drop your PC fanboy-ism in this thread, since after all, it is about the XB360, but you just had to bring it back up again like a total dumbass.

The Xbox360 is indeed a very powerful system and clearly rivals the best PCs today. The PC is over-priced if you only purchase it for games. This makes your argument silly and somewhat invalid. People don't usually buy PCs for just games. Having said that, it would take a powerful PC to rival an Xbox 360. The thing is - it CAN. I have no doubt that some games are meant to be played on a console and some are meant to be played on a PC. We are all grown people here so I can assume you can tell which ones are beneficial on the platforms. Having said that, a FPS will always be better to "control" on a PC given the mouse/keyboard combo. Strat games will also be better too.

superior controller my ASS.. plug in your 360 pad into ur USB slot, and NOW you have a superior pad... the pc's needed one for ages...

Yeap and it has plenty of good ones now. 360 controller isn't the only controller. Logitech has been putting out very good pads for awhile now.

and well yes, that is all your 'IMO' cos fps is now great on a console... its 2005 now btw;) things have changed since doom and quake.

Surely you are joking right? It will never be logical that I can control a FPS better with a joystick+analog controller vs. a mouse/keyboard. Stop smoking the stuff dude..

and finally, when cod3 comes out on pc, devs will have optimized there code to run it smoother than your pc and with no fps drops crappy load times, and several huge hunks of hardware lying around you....

This may be true. But that's not the PCs fault. It's the developers fault. Likewise, if a PC game is optimized for a PC and then it gets ported for the next-gen consoles, you may see some unoptimization that is seen with slow framerates and/or missing bells-n-whistles.

-M

JMcWilliams
12-12-2005, 02:51 AM
Do you use every post of yours to look like a foolish jackass?
Reading comprehension doesn't seem to be your forte.

I'll re-quote my previous post in this thread... this time, read it slower, and use a dictionary if need be for the larger 5+ letter words.

And here is the quote directly from the article that I was commenting on:

Much anger in this one.
We got a bunch of 360's to play on where I work a few weeks back... been encountering lots of frame dropping in several of the games so far. Call of Duty 2 looks exactly the same as the pc version from what I could tell. Some of the games looked quite ugly (fifa especially), but that was down to poor art and not the machines fault. Overall, I think it has a lot of potential. But of course, I don't really judge a machine on graphics power alone. It's kind of beside the point compared to how good the games are and for that we will have to wait and see.

RobertoOrtiz
12-12-2005, 04:41 AM
Guys, lets keep it light.

-R

cgtalkiest
12-12-2005, 09:49 PM
Surely you are joking right? It will never be logical that I can control a FPS better with a joystick+analog controller vs. a mouse/keyboard. Stop smoking the stuff dude..

see... this is what im talking about.. get off of your pc elitist chair for a second and look at your setup for a sec...

a joypad is ergonomic... designed to fit in and be used by your hands... do you get rsi from a joypad? no...

you prefer to use digital controls for your movement? no analogue? you prefer to have either full running pace or complete stand still? no creeping forward/back or strafe?...

you prefer to have a whole bunch on non-intuitive or even distinguishable buttons from eachother as your controls? leaving you often fumbling for the right key (dont pretend you dont)

all buttons are in instant reach, and each button is fully analogue with xbox. the come with headset slots for voip... the only thing with joypads, is that people prefer to use a mouse for aiming. This is a skill problem then i assume... i use both pc and console for fps, and i have done for years... i have noticed the only people who complain about pads for fps are those who cant use them, or have trouble using a stck for aiming...

if you dont believe me, come play me on battlefield 2 or halo 2 on xbox live... and then battlefield vietnam on pc... i will own you on both so there will be no excuses.... like i said, thats oold skool thinking about the mouse and keyboard... just look at the crappy design of the setup one more time... haha.. its ludicrous...

LOOKS LIKE YOU NEED TO PICK UP THAT PIPE AND START SMOKING

heavyness
12-12-2005, 09:57 PM
omg...

look, arguing over what is better, mouse/keyboard or controller is down right silly. it is a personal preference. its like arguing that you like pepperonis pizza better then sausage, then having someone come up and tell you "no, your wrong, sausage is better."

PERSONAL PREFERENCE.

i would never use a keyboard and mouse to play mario kart, and i would never use a controller to play UT2004 and i liked playing Splinter Cel on a pc... why?

PERSONAL PREFERENCE.

should we get back on topic on just lock this thread now?

also, just finished Condemned... great scary game and it makes me want to go back and play more [and earn some more achievement].

MK2
12-12-2005, 10:04 PM
hmmm i dont know, but this is exactly that kind of thread where i wish cgtalk has a Ignore-List, where i can put some users on it...

Rivendale
12-12-2005, 10:49 PM
I have only played Call of Duty 2 on pc but something to think about when comparing the 360 with the pc is that a highend pc will be able to play the game at much higher resolution making it look a lot better. More pixels = more fun!

CoD 2 would be the only reason for me right now to play the 360, but since I've already played through that I'll hold off a while for more games(even though we''ll all get a 360 for christmas from the company:)).
CML

PhilOsirus
12-13-2005, 01:23 AM
Here is the ugly: (http://www.kotaku.com/)

The train wreck that is the 360 Japan Launch continues. Unloved 360s consoles collect dust, and retailers are unable to return those unwanted Xbox 360s to Msoft due to contractual obligations. To cut loses and cover their arses, stores are left with no choice but to offer discounts. The originally 38,800yen (about $350 US) consoles have been lowered to 18,800yen (about $150 US) with Internet Service Provider contracts so that the shop could get some kickback money from the IP. And this is what, four days from launch?

And Bloomberg (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000087&sid=aneIB1J7q2Ss&refer=top_world_news):

Microsoft, which started selling the Xbox 360 on Dec. 10, sold 62,135 of the 159,000 consoles it shipped, according to Tokyo-based Enterbrain. That compares with about 123,000 units sold in the first three days for the first Xbox, which debuted on Feb. 22, 2002, the report said.

slaughters
12-13-2005, 03:44 AM
Here is the ugly: (http://www.kotaku.com/)Ummm...

No names and just one photo = Internet rummor = sloppy sloppy sloppy reporting = Personal Internet Blog :)

A quote by some one in the forum linked to by the article says:

Personally, I think its a biased reaction the stores are having towards a non-Japanese company/product. Its always been this way for Japan. For the people here, if its NOT Japanese made, they don't *trust* it. They won't buy it, and don't want to help promote it. Seems to me having sales like that so close after a launch is just a way for them to get the "crap" out of their stores so they don't have to look at it. They just don't want to sell it. Instead of having these sales, why don't they just wait a bit for the must-have titles to hit. Hell, DOA4 had a 50% attachtment ratio for 360 pre-orders here...maybe once that hits there'll be an influx of buyers. Why cut themselves short?...

I was in Yamada Denki the other day and I saw a man buy his son a 360. They guy behind the counter asked the customer if he was "sure" about buying the 360, and didn't want to wait for the PS3...

PhilOsirus
12-13-2005, 04:52 AM
Alright then, here is a non-rumor site saying the same. The 360 is selling worst in Japan than the original Xbox did.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000087&sid=aneIB1J7q2Ss&refer=top_world_news (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000087&sid=aneIB1J7q2Ss&refer=top_world_news)

No need for Japanese conspiracies:p There were even pictures of stores full of unsold Xbox 360s, in fact not a dent in the pile, two days after the release. The only place the 360 sold fast was at the launch party, something like 250 consoles.

(http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000087&sid=aneIB1J7q2Ss&refer=top_world_news)
I hope this means Mistwalker will focus on games for Nintendo later on, Blue Dragon looks nice, but I'm unlikely to get a 360.

ambient-whisper
12-13-2005, 05:16 AM
ps3 and nintento for me :). nice thing is, they are backwards compatible too, so i can get myself wind waker and metroid that i missed out on, booyeah!.

PhantomDesign
12-13-2005, 06:00 AM
Here is the ugly: (http://www.kotaku.com/)
They seem to be in high demand in the US. My friend is still waiting for his & he preordered it months ago. He ended up buying a gamecube to fill time.

Saurus
12-13-2005, 07:02 AM
Alright then, here is a non-rumor site saying the same. The 360 is selling worst in Japan than the original Xbox did.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000087&sid=aneIB1J7q2Ss&refer=top_world_news (http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000087&sid=aneIB1J7q2Ss&refer=top_world_news)

No need for Japanese conspiracies:p There were even pictures of stores full of unsold Xbox 360s, in fact not a dent in the pile, two days after the release. The only place the 360 sold fast was at the launch party, something like 250 consoles.

(http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000087&sid=aneIB1J7q2Ss&refer=top_world_news)
I hope this means Mistwalker will focus on games for Nintendo later on, Blue Dragon looks nice, but I'm unlikely to get a 360.

This is not only a 360 thing, but anything developed (even games developed for ps2) outside of Japan has a hell of time trying to sell anything in Japan...it's a weird market. Something western developer has yet to understand.

I tried Call of Duty 2 on 360. It was nice but it was way too slow and the motion was too linier. No wonder some console FPS has snap to enemy feature. I can't wait to start playing FPS against consoles gamer…bump my score and also give PC newbie something easy to shoot at.

heavyness
12-13-2005, 03:56 PM
well, Dead or Alive 4 comes out very soon and that should move some more systems.

slow start, but with some of the Japanese RPGs missing launch, i think everyone saw this coming. its not secret the original Xbox struggled in Japan and of course the 360 is going to have an uphill battle.

cgtalkiest
12-13-2005, 09:04 PM
This is not only a 360 thing, but anything developed (even games developed for ps2) outside of Japan has a hell of time trying to sell anything in Japan...it's a weird market. Something western developer has yet to understand.

I tried Call of Duty 2 on 360. It was nice but it was way too slow and the motion was too linier. No wonder some console FPS has snap to enemy feature. I can't wait to start playing FPS against consoles gamer…bump my score and also give PC newbie something easy to shoot at.

sounds like your the noob. lern to use them stiks. theyl b ur best friends

Saurus
12-13-2005, 10:18 PM

I'll meet you in the field :p console boy.

noisewar
12-13-2005, 10:29 PM
I'll meet you in the field :p console boy.

Actually in a mouse vs. controller battle on Halo, the controller players won. On the other hand, Halo is an auto-aiming noobfriendly mess. The best aimers are no doubt on PC, but I wouldn't discount stick players so fast just because of Halo. Some of the Unreal Championship 2 guys aim like champs on the stick. Check out the movies at http://www.pwnation.com/. Skill does exist on the console.

PhilOsirus
12-13-2005, 11:05 PM
well, Dead or Alive 4 comes out very soon and that should move some more systems.

slow start, but with some of the Japanese RPGs missing launch, i think everyone saw this coming. its not secret the original Xbox struggled in Japan and of course the 360 is going to have an uphill battle.

Yeah except it's doing worst in sales than the original Xbox did when released. I keep hearing about Japanese being "arrogant" and what not as an explanation for the lack of sales, how ridiculous:p The iPod and Macs are big success in Japan. They just don't see any worthy games yet to buy the console.

Shaderhacker
12-14-2005, 03:30 AM
see... this is what im talking about.. get off of your pc elitist chair for a second and look at your setup for a sec...

Me saying that it is an advantage to have a mouse/keyboard combo isn't being an elitist dude. :rolleyes:

all buttons are in instant reach, and each button is fully analogue with xbox. the come with headset slots for voip... the only thing with joypads, is that people prefer to use a mouse for aiming. This is a skill problem then i assume... i use both pc and console for fps, and i have done for years... i have noticed the only people who complain about pads for fps are those who cant use them, or have trouble using a stck for aiming...

Knowing about games, you should know that aiming in a FPS is paramount to getting a kill. I can guarantee you that the time it takes for one to lock on to some moving target (not necessarily large) with a analog gamepad will be longer than doing the same thing with a mouse/keyboard. Aiming is key - and definitely the basis of my argument.

Would you play a 3rd person adventure game with a mouse/keyboard? Certain games lend themselves well with certain peripherals. That's just fact..not elitism.

-M

PhantomDesign
12-14-2005, 06:15 AM
Do you have anything better to do than troll, flame, and then troll some more?

JeffPalmer
12-14-2005, 07:29 AM
Like the x-box i havent seen anything that has justified buying the 360 that is if i could find it anywhere. Then again this is 1st gen games and they wont look that great. The controler is a MUCH apreciated change from the first controler from the xbox, it feels and looks great. Well have to see what happens in the year to come.

BTW, i started FPS's on consoles with golden eye and such, moved to PC with quake, doom, halflife, Half life and cannot go back to playing a FPS on a console (regardless of console).

cgtalkiest
12-17-2005, 12:50 AM
2 words ..... geometry wars.

PhilOsirus
12-17-2005, 05:28 AM
2 words ..... geometry wars.

Great game, but does a new-gen pac-man justify the purchase of a 400$ console, a price greatly influenced by the bundled graphic card, in 2006, on the verge of the HD era?

DevilHacker
12-18-2005, 06:14 AM
Yeah except it's doing worst in sales than the original Xbox did when released. I keep hearing about Japanese being "arrogant" and what not as an explanation for the lack of sales, how ridiculous:p The iPod and Macs are big success in Japan. They just don't see any worthy games yet to buy the console.
IF YOU READ, you will see that the sells being lower than the original system have nothing to do with the Xbox360’s lack of sells/desirability. But in-fact, from lack of supply. Microsoft is simply not pushing them out as fast as they were with the Xbox, mostly because of the rush to market, and the amount of time required to build an single system…

So before you start trying to make the 360 sound bad for whatever your reasons may be, please read. And as far as Japanese Sells, your correct. They just aren’t biting. O-Well, just means more systems for us that are wanting them…

parallax
12-18-2005, 11:10 AM
A mouse/keyboard combo in a traditional FPS is in an otherwise identical situation, with players with similar skill, far superior to a joypad.

This is a scientific fact.

PhilOsirus
12-18-2005, 06:18 PM
[/color]
IF YOU READ, you will see that the sells being lower than the original system have nothing to do with the Xbox360’s lack of sells/desirability. But in-fact, from lack of supply. Microsoft is simply not pushing them out as fast as they were with the Xbox, mostly because of the rush to market, and the amount of time required to build an single system…

So before you start trying to make the 360 sound bad for whatever your reasons may be, please read. And as far as Japanese Sells, your correct. They just aren’t biting. O-Well, just means more systems for us that are wanting them…

I was only talking about the Japanese launch, there were no clear numbers yet on US sales, and we all know there is a shortage of supplies here, I never said it was not successful in America. The site I linked to earlier only mentionned Japanese sales.

Berserga
12-19-2005, 02:28 AM
A mouse/keyboard combo in a traditional FPS is in an otherwise identical situation, with players with similar skill, far superior to a joypad.

Tell that to my freaking newtype friend, who in Halo 2, can jump out of a Banshee in mid flight , shoot me dead with the RL from halfway across the map then get back in the banshee again and fly away before it ever hits the ground. all that with the S controller. :eek: And the $#%^&*#@! has done that more than once I might add.

PhantomDesign
12-19-2005, 08:09 AM
Tell that to my freaking newtype friend, who in Halo 2, can jump out of a Banshee in mid flight , shoot me dead with the RL from halfway across the map then get back in the banshee again and fly away before it ever hits the ground. all that with the S controller. :eek: And the $#%^&*#@! has done that more than once I might add.
Regardless of whether or not it’s physically possible to jump out and back in the banshee in mid air, there seems to be a slight flaw in your statements.- a rocket flying half-way across the map takes quite a bit of time, implying that you didn’t move, implying that you didn’t see the rocket, implying that you didn’t see him perform the stunt, implying that your statement is incorrect.

Berserga
12-19-2005, 03:39 PM
I'd think it was BS too but no... it has happened. I was relatively still shooting at him on Coagulation (one on one fight). I didn't SEE the act per'see But I do know this for a fact he was in the banshee... out of the banshee, and back in the banshee before it ever hit the ground... already bragiing about his "Major Kusanagi shit"

IIRC He also did it to me on headlong once.

As far as Halfway across the map... That might have been a WEEE exaggeration :p

CGTalk Moderation
12-19-2005, 03:39 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.