View Full Version : James Cameron Casting Battle Angel

laureato di arte
12-08-2005, 08:54 PM
http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/674/674233p1.html

he is looking for an actress aparantly

gunslingerblack
12-09-2005, 03:27 AM
i knew he had the rights to battle angel, PLEASE GOD LET HIM DO A GOOD JOB

i loved this anime and i wish there was more of it.

Bonedaddy
12-09-2005, 03:38 AM
i knew he had the rights to battle angel, PLEASE GOD LET HIM DO A GOOD JOB

i loved this anime and i wish there was more of it.

There's the manga, which is 10x longer and 10x better.

/unabashed Gunnm fan

EpShot
12-09-2005, 03:39 AM
i like that he's really trying to cast it. instead of seeing what actress he thinks is popular enough for the role (tho i wouldn't really expect that from him) but it does make me that more confident that he really is going to handle this right.

Frank Lake
12-09-2005, 04:44 AM
I don't see how he's gonna find a young enough actress, who sports octopus lips, with that type of emotional range.

And as for him having a casting call instead of the traditional big star draw well that's easy! His name is James Cameron and it's worth gold, he can name any movie he wants to make and they will listen. Thank doG he's got talent else we'd have another Boll!

gunslingerblack
12-09-2005, 04:58 AM
i wonder too if the "top secret " project he's working on is just last exile, last time i heard he got that too.

bakwudz
12-09-2005, 06:31 AM
I don't see how he's gonna find a young enough actress, who sports octopus lips

Jim meet Jessica...Jessica,Jim....oh wait you two have already met

http://imdb.com/title/tt0204993/

:sad:

Nemoid
12-09-2005, 08:12 AM
Even if it will be a manga adaptation, and therefore a necessarily partial work, this could be a fantastic occasion for sci fi movie to come back with all its power !!
( especially after SW showed to be somewhat weak.)

He should just hire a young actress not particularly famous, only, suited for that role.

phexitol
12-09-2005, 08:25 AM
He should just hire a young actress not particularly famous, only, suited for that role.

Like, hmm, Lacey Chabert (http://www.google.com/search?lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=Lacey%20Chabert)? She's the actress who looks the most like Gally/Alita. When I saw her in Lost in Space, I immediately thought she'd be the perfect actress for a live action movie. But I'd really rather such a movie not be made. As it is, I really can't say I'm looking forward to it, no matter who they cast, but I'll reserve further judgement until I see Michael Bay's Transformers.

pogonip
12-09-2005, 08:54 AM
Yeah that's a good one Phex ! Her voice was a little high pitched in that movie but yeah she has the look for sure . I also think maybe Emily Browning from Leminy Snickets and she seemed to be a pretty good actress.

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2004/11/26/emilybrowning2_narrowweb__200x288.jpg

Boone
12-10-2005, 12:19 AM
I've always had a soft spot for Jim's sci-fi movies, and this is at the top of my wish list. :bounce:

BTW - Jessica Alba is not going to be in this one, as Jim says its going to be an unknown actress.

gunslingerblack
12-10-2005, 02:50 AM
please god let it not be jessica alba, i want to actually be able to enjoy myself at this movie....

eliseu gouveia
12-10-2005, 06:13 AM
I have faith in James, he hasnīt let me down yet. :)

Kwe
12-10-2005, 11:23 PM
christina ricci for angelita!!!

CB_3D
12-11-2005, 01:47 AM
christina ricci for angelita!!!

(Darth vader voice)

Noooooooooo!

12-11-2005, 03:01 AM
Is the main character still "all" cg (like in previous reports)? This actress will probably do all the mocap/voice-over for the character...

Peddy
12-11-2005, 09:07 AM
i wonder too if the "top secret " project he's working on is just last exile, last time i heard he got that too.

wait what? dont make me have to change my pants! what hasnt this been mentioned before?

Boone
12-11-2005, 03:23 PM
Nah, this is Jim's big event but only in that he wants to follow up his T2-3D experiance by improving 3D project etc. This film is currently panned as being a 3D only movie... :hmm:

Alita will be entirely CG, but the actress is to be hand picked by Cameron. He said something about Alita showing her emotions through body language rather than words...or something.

I've just got a strong feeling that this will be another masterpiece from Jim... :cool:

P_T
12-11-2005, 05:08 PM
hmm... If i remember correctly, Alita showed plenty of emotions thru her facial expressions in the manga. I hope JC knows wat he's doing if that "all CG Alita" rumour is true coz from what I can remember from the manga, she looks pretty much like a normal girl except for when she got blown up to bits from time to time. Then again, there's gonna a lot of action sequences similar to those in Blade 2 where an actor with wires just won't look as good as a CG actor.

So... you guys think the current/upcoming technology is gonna be enough to make realistic human expressions for this movie?

Boone
12-11-2005, 06:20 PM
Re: P_T.

Yeah, but drawings do rely on a character's expression for they are still.

Cameron could make any film he wanted to - why wait eight years after Titanic only to do a movie based on a rather unknown Japanese Manga? Its because he wants to make this movie! Something about the Manga has drawn him to stand up and say "This is my next movie!" - The same thing happened on T1, ALIENS, T2...

I've never had such a strong feeling about a project before... :thumbsup:

P_T
12-11-2005, 06:40 PM
Indeed he has the midas touch for sci-fi actions. I'm a fan of both T1 and T2 as well as Aliens though I must say T1 is my fave.

As for Alita, her face design is that of a human and in one of the manga episode, she fell in love with a human and she expressed a whole range of human emotions such as happiness, doubt, anger, sadness etc. which led me to question if the decision to use all CG Alita is wise, especially when most if not all previous attempts on CG human's facial expression has only managed to reach the Uncanny Valley level of realism.

Boone
12-11-2005, 07:34 PM
Re: P_T.

I see what you mean.:D

I always thought that Battle Angel Alita was a Sci-Fi Manga version of Phinocio. That she was a doll tormented with emotions of a real girl. So in a hypothetical scenario you would meet her in the street you would label her as a Doll - but hang out with her and you'll find a girl underneath that steel face. So for the inital "Hmph - shes just a robot!" - CGI would be the way and I think it would be its greatest strength. If she was just an actress - it would take effort on the audience's behalf to accept that she is a cyborg. In contrast you have Arnold in The Terminator in which the point is that he can move about humans because he acts, looks and smells like a human. Jim's job for Battle Angel Alita to convince the audience that the cyborg Alita IS a girl with human qualities. On T1 - Jim had to convince them that the Human killer is an Inhuman machine devoid of any emotion or stopping.

And I think he holds the magic formula to do this. The Terminator was made for a shoe-string budget, but when the Terminator repairs itself - it starts smoothing its hair, using a towel to remove blood from its damaged eye and worries about whether its Shades are fashionablly in place?! Jim is the only guy I know in Film history that has ever given as much thought and character to his robots!
And I have to say, Jim is a hard man to please - it has to be right! :bounce:

I didn't fancy True Lies or Titanic as much as his other films, but I know that Jim will deliver with this film. I just hope I can watch this in the intended "super 3D o Vision"... :sad:

I have to say that I'm really enjoying this chin-wag about Cyborgs'n'Cameron! :applause:

kmest
12-11-2005, 08:42 PM
any chances for me to play the main role??....what?.....0%?....cause im a guy???....but i'll try my best:)

anyway...i have fait in this movie...cameron will be back for after 10 years....after chosing and closing many many projects,i think he knows what Amazing piece he wants to deliver....well..lets hope:thumbsup:

P_T
12-12-2005, 02:36 AM
Boone, not quite a pinocchio. The boy she fell in love with in that story didn't even realise she was a cyborg except for some hints like her very heavy body revealed when they fell so if Cameron turn her into a pinocchio like doll, there goes a very important element in Alita... plus he better get ready for a lynching mob outside his house lol.

I do agree that it would be hard for the audience to accept that she's a super cyborg if cameron's using an actress and wires for the action sequences, she just won't look heavy enough, fast enough and I always thought wires movement don't really look natural, specially when the actor is not an acrobat or martial artist.

Nemoid
12-12-2005, 10:59 AM
i think he could go with a mixed solution : have a good, unknown actress suited to that role, then obviously use some real prosthetic fx, digital prosthetics, a digital double moved through motion capture and more devices to achieve her cybernetic look and features. so CG willl have a great role into that of course , has it had mostly i T2, the Abyss, but i do not think he will go completely digital for the main character of the movie. there could be some completely digital sequences tho.

kmest
12-12-2005, 04:08 PM
i agree with nemoid...cameron always used the higest usage of visual effects in his movies and in these recent 9 years,the 3d technology have been improved amazingly....digital doubles is something he can't resist,although he did it several times in titanik

Nemoid
12-12-2005, 05:41 PM
And don't forget Cameron was also a special fx guy before becoming a director, so.. he does know it all. They used Alias for T2 sequences , that were outstanding at the time, plus some machine sequences they used for the trailer and we didn't see in the movie. they were somewhat like matrix, but many years before. (washowsky bros copied alot). Now, i think he'll use an actress for sure, but with the current technology status alot of CGI will be used to give her the cybernetic features, plus i gues soem great animatronics if it will be the case. To say it all. Alita movie will not feature only a girl into an armor or suit : we'll clearly see she's a cyborg. :)

CGTalk Moderation
12-12-2005, 05:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.