PDA

View Full Version : automatic renaming of hundreds of OM objects

mt_sabao
12-08-2005, 06:53 PM
Hi gents,
Is there a quick way using Xpresso to automaticaly renaming hundreds of objects in the OM? Let me clarify. I´m using Jenna´s Allie. I have 2400 spheres, and when doing current state to object (to export my spheres to do some dynamic sim), all the spheres under the new null have the same name. How do i go about renaming them? "sphere1" "sphere2" ...you get the idea.
Surely there´s a way using Xpresso, or maybe C.o.f.f.e.e.?

thanks in advance.
Lu

Per-Anders
12-08-2005, 06:58 PM
Rui did a find & replace plugin sometime ago that i'm pretty sure had a sequential rename function in there.

Otherwise yes it can be done with a coffee script. Maybe rui could chip in and let us know.

Srek
12-08-2005, 07:01 PM
Hi,
try this: http://www.bonkers.de/download/xp_indexer.c4d

Copy / Paste the object named index in your scene and place it as the first object above the to be renamed objects (just like in the xp_indexe.c4d file). Then enable the Xpresso tag (it will disable again automaticaly) and press "a" to refresh the scene.
Cheers
Björn

wuensch
12-08-2005, 07:02 PM
In Expresso alone it could also be done with an iterator or a link-list node(where you can dragdrop your objects when they are not in the same hierarchy).
then you would cycle through the link -list & use the string-functions to do the name operations.
If you have DiTools,
Ditools has some wonderful string-operation nodes.
*Edit:
--opps--- Srek has already the perfect example ;-)

Olli

mt_sabao
12-08-2005, 07:51 PM
cheers guys,
will try your solution srek. thanks as usual.
:thumbsup:
Luis

mt_sabao
12-08-2005, 08:43 PM
Srek,
tried it already, works like a charm!
Thanks
Luis

CGTalk Moderation
12-08-2005, 08:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.