PDA

View Full Version : Portrait WIP for Enayla

JesseBlunt
12-08-2005, 12:34 PM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b385/jesseblunt/ss.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b385/jesseblunt/detail.jpg

This is my first attempt at digital painting with Photoshop. I used a mouse and I've put in about 10 hours so far, but it's been a learning process and things seem to be speeding up a bit. I'm thinking about shopping for a Wacom after all of the forum threads I've read have praised them so much. Critiques/hints/advice are all welcome.

This is dedicated to Enayla, by the way. Her tutorials and artwork inspired me to give this a shot and I'm really enjoying it. :)

(edit...I wanted to make it clear that this image was referenced from a photo of an actress named Sarah Silverman and is intended to portray her...I don't know what's assumed on CG, so I thought I'd clarify)

Sarford
12-08-2005, 01:01 PM
U did this all with a MOUSE??? Quite impressive mate!

Not much to critique so far, but I'm missing a composition. Maybe u have some sketches u can show us?

JesseBlunt
12-08-2005, 01:20 PM
U did this all with a MOUSE??? Quite impressive mate!

Not much to critique so far, but I'm missing a composition. Maybe u have some sketches u can show us?

Well, this piece is kind of in need of a compositional overhaul. Initially it was intended as a full page illustration for a magazine article about the actress and her recent (and pretty controversial) movie. The idea was to portray her in an byzantine style doing something blatantly not P.C. (Her movie is nothing but offensive material, but it's presented in a way that makes you think about heavy topics like racism, terrorism, and slavery in a more introspective way). Don't mean to rant about the movie, but I feel that it's important to the context of the artwork and I'm having trouble deciding on a setting or hand/arm arrangement/props. Any suggestions?

mikkamakka
12-08-2005, 02:42 PM
very nice portarait! :applause:some background can make it more authentic. I read that you don't have tablet, i just could say to buy one! you have a real good talent and using a tablet will help you to advance even more:thumbsup:

JesseBlunt
12-12-2005, 11:27 AM
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b385/jesseblunt/sarah-final-composition1.jpg

In order to finish my portfolio project, I had to rush a background and final concept for this piece using images and some painting. It's pretty obvious that the hands are the only extra that I've painted, but I wanted to concentrate on the concept of the piece since the picture is just a picture without that. I read an article about social dialogue being like a chess game for performers like Silverman, where there's typically an underlying scheme or idea in their words that is just off-track enough to make us intuit a greater idea. (search for Sarah Silverman "Jesus is Magic" for more about her)
I found the perfect setup for the background and essentially created a spiderweb of inter-connected relationships and themes, both grand and minor in scale. See if you can connect the ideas...

CGTalk Moderation
12-12-2005, 11:27 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.