PDA

View Full Version : CGChallenge XVIII ("Spectacular") - Finishing Entries

Mibus
12-07-2005, 03:10 AM
Hi all!

The deadline for CGChallenge XVIII - "Spectacular" - just passed.

About 300 people finished the challenge, so go check out their hard work:
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/spectacular/entries.php

Judging should start within a few days, so if there are any problems with any entries, email me (robert@ballisticmedia.net) as soon as possible :)

JeroenDStout
12-07-2005, 03:15 AM
Soooo any self-esteem I had left :)...

Leonard
12-07-2005, 11:52 AM
SPECTACULAR indeed!

Congratulations to everyone who completed the Challenge. You did well!

Leonard :applause:

JamesMK
12-07-2005, 12:01 PM
Wow, 300 finished entries is pretty good, isn't it? Seem to remember it used to be less in the past ones...

Great job everyone! This was a very fun challenge to work on (as usual)

zman
12-07-2005, 12:07 PM
It was really fun and a great learning experience !
Really an honor to take part in a contest with pretty much the "ultimate" theme ...
Some really really awsome entries in this one :thumbsup:

good luck to all :bounce:
and lets hope the judging would be quick and painless

BobbEr
12-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Oh! It finished now! :) Greate 3 month! :) Good luck to everybody!!!

sergioKomic
12-07-2005, 12:13 PM
Thanks to everyone here!

I learned alot... Interactive image creating was something I learned from very very much!

Massive thanks to Lemog for pushing me to enter!

GOOD LUCK!

RockinAkin
12-07-2005, 12:24 PM
Great job to everyone who participated.

I think I've already spotted the 1'st and 2'nd place winners in the 3D category. ;)

Ultemate
12-07-2005, 12:39 PM
Congrats to everyone! Cool stuff! Very Spectacular. :thumbsup:

AndyH
12-07-2005, 12:53 PM
Best of luck to all. Lets hope the judging process is quick, efficient and painless!

How long do you folks reckon it will take for the results to come through? Before xmas?

Vectorius
12-07-2005, 01:01 PM
OH Yeah that's it!:scream: A very good expérience again, with great topic and great advice for every one who run this contest. Thank you and good luck for all!:bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

monks
12-07-2005, 01:02 PM
Best of luck for all :)
it was my first challenge here, and for sure not the last one !

eddieellis
12-07-2005, 01:06 PM
Hey Congrates to all those who entered and finished... 3 months is along time to work on one image but it shows on the quality of all those who entered.... :thumbsup:

ihamid
12-07-2005, 01:11 PM
cool! a big cheer and congratulations to all the participants! truly a spectacular event!:)

Digital Amigos
12-07-2005, 01:19 PM
Everyone can learn from each submit, veeery good idea :)
Good luck.

K.

Gunilla
12-07-2005, 01:26 PM
Yes - this one was so fun! Thanks and good luck to everyone!

cLos71
12-07-2005, 01:27 PM
Good Luck to everyone! Great efforts and entries! :bounce:

Joblh
12-07-2005, 01:37 PM
alot of good images everyone! here's a pic of my favourites (see if urs is in it ;) )
http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/1999/favourites5nk.th.jpg (http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/1999/favourites5nk.jpg)

good luck everyone!

GonzaloGolpe
12-07-2005, 01:42 PM
Good luck to everybody!!This was my first experience on a challenge and I´d like to repeat hehe.Good luck to you again!!:thumbsup:

SONIC-X
12-07-2005, 01:58 PM
Yeah! At last I finnished a challenge in time.I knew it will happen one day.Lots of fun,new friends and 3d,sounds like a bargian to me.

Thanks for all the support every one.

jbballaran
12-07-2005, 01:59 PM
Awesome feeling to be a part of this! Cant wait for the next one! Congratulations to everyone who made it ~peace out :scream:

alancamara
12-07-2005, 02:17 PM
I can't wait the next challenge.:bounce:

Congratulations to everyone, you all have made great works :applause: Also Congratulation to the cgtalk team, you are already winners, excellent support and organization during all contest :thumbsup:

Thanks to all of new friends here, you help me so much with tips and crits. thank you all.:thumbsup:

ok, I wish the best of all and goooood luck to everyone . :thumbsup: :applause:

michael-olszak
12-07-2005, 02:27 PM
cool 300 pics to check !!

let's get to work.

good luck everyone!!

stefan
12-07-2005, 02:31 PM
one big THANK to cgtalk or cgsociety team. They have done it and they are keeping it alive.

maxspider3000
12-07-2005, 02:38 PM
it was amazing ... this is my first challenge here .. and i learned alot of things ...

i realy feel that it was the best thing i done in my cg life ... :)

congrats every1 ....

dandan
12-07-2005, 02:41 PM
congratulations to everyone from the contest, i wish you good luck for the judging! this was my first contest, and i really enjoyed it, so im pretty sure i will be in the next one too! i hope it comes soon... thx everyone for your support, and posts! :thumbsup:

R-K
12-07-2005, 02:42 PM
this was awesome contest, even I'm pretty happy with my pic :O

fgdf
12-07-2005, 03:05 PM
We made it!! :bounce: Thank you all .. those who participated ,who helped me and others and of course CGTalk team ;) BIG cheers :beer: . I learned a lot making my piece and I already won a lot. Wish you good luck judgment day is comming... ;)

Neil
12-07-2005, 03:32 PM
Man... many good entries. Gonna be hard for the judges!

duddlebug
12-07-2005, 04:19 PM
'Twas all great fun... can't wait for the next one!

Just to go back to AndyH's question... Any rough dates for the the results of the judging? Would before Christmas be likely?

Not that we're impatient or anything...

;)

TraceR
12-07-2005, 04:20 PM
Great job everyone. I need to start participating in these challanges. Maybe next time. :thumbsup:

dannyfalch
12-07-2005, 05:06 PM
Oh yeah!

That was great fun!
Let's do it again, he he

Congrats to all who finished, 300 wow!
good luck.

See you all in the next challange!

zman
12-07-2005, 05:39 PM
Btw, seeing so many QUALITY entries, I think this is one contest that may deserve a book after all.
I think this one can sell pretty well.

dannyfalch
12-07-2005, 05:51 PM
and your image will make a nice cover Ziv!

Grorum
12-07-2005, 06:08 PM
Good luck to everybody, this was a cool challenge, lots of nice ideas. :D

12-07-2005, 06:26 PM
Are all entries (re)compressed to JPEG automatically? I noticed in a few pictures very visible compression artifacts, most noticable in the following entry (around all sharp hard edges): http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/entries/10/9522/9522_1133793483_large_tiff.jpg

Because of the filename i assume the entry was submitted as TIFF, and then recompressed into JPEG by CGSociety.

ninjacore
12-07-2005, 06:55 PM
oh my. some cool stuff. some reallly cool stuff that can be termed as "Spectacular" , but there is some serious tat in there!! . theres a lot of stuff i dont think really fits the Breif too well. i think the Space Opera was a better showcase of entries.

JoshBobillot
12-07-2005, 06:57 PM
Hey Nice work everyone, it's been a fun time, even though I didn't finish this round. It has been a privilage to see how everyone works and I have learned a lot.

this was my first contest and definetally not my last...I know I will be entering in other contests to come.

Thanks a lot,

FrozZT
12-07-2005, 07:05 PM
Hi!
This was my first challenge and also my first work posted on the internet ever. Its been a great experience and also very much fun! Thanks to everyone for sharing their thoughts and their artwork! Thanks to the people behind all this for doing such a great job! I hope to see you all in the next challenge! :)

Congrats and good luck to all who finished!

Ducklator
12-07-2005, 07:38 PM
:bounce: GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE!!!:bounce:

:thumbsup: I'LL SEE YOU CHALLENGERS IN THE NEXT CHALLENGE:thumbsup:

zancan
12-07-2005, 07:50 PM
That was a first try at a CGTalk's challenge for me and I clearly lacked some planning: the final rush was sooooooo exhausting. But it was a lot of fun! The overall quality of posts is extremely high, with strong community encouragement added to it, it pushes us beyond our limits. I'm really glad I was part of it!
I think I deserve some rest ^_^, now your turn: good luck guys for the judging , the task will be tricky and huge ! :thumbsup:

swadepgh
12-07-2005, 08:11 PM
Is this really the 18th challenge? I thought it was only the 5th one. Why is it XVIII? Did I somehow miss seeing a bunch of these things? I'm confused...

mummey
12-07-2005, 08:54 PM
Soooo any self-esteem I had left :)...

Wow! Its very... PURPLE! :D ;)

http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/spectacular/entry.php?challenger=8917

paperclip
12-07-2005, 09:04 PM
A BIG CONGRATULATIONS to everyone who finished! It's a lot of hard work, I know (m & s veteran speaking here) but don't you feel you learned a whole lot and made a lot of friends? It's a great way of pushing the boundaries of your work.

The results weren't announced until about 4/5 weeks after the end of M & S, so the people hoping to see the results before Christmas shouldn't hold their breath. :D

beelow
12-07-2005, 09:07 PM
Congrats to everyone that is competing in this challenge, best of luck to all, and c ya next contest!!:thumbsup:

Agamemnwn
12-07-2005, 09:32 PM
This was a great challenge and it was fun ( most of the times the others were frustrating ) making it. Thats were people like Lemog and Gunilla and makaron came and pull me up to finish it. Great job to everyone that finished it and Good luck witht he jury!!! :D

DoInferno
12-07-2005, 09:33 PM
Great to be a part of the chalenge! Congrats to everyone. A lot of beautifull images and i learned a lot!

Wanna next chalenge!!!

JurajMolcak
12-07-2005, 10:09 PM
3 months... I can't believe it... it's over... it's... it's...
:buttrock: S P E C T A C U L A R :buttrock:

DDS
12-07-2005, 10:26 PM
Very good entries, images in general were original despite the theme of the challenge :rolleyes:

NinjaA55N
12-07-2005, 11:28 PM
And its over.. damn, this was an awesome and very educationable challenge (I hope I expressed my self correctly). I learned a lot and many thanks to everybody who helped me in my painting process. I hope to find some free time and thank to every single one of u in ur threads, but till than good luck to everybody and congratulations for participation and some kick ass images. And thanks to all the ppl who made all of this. Cya all in next challenge! :)

Shortgrey
12-08-2005, 12:12 AM
This challenge was great, really happy to have finished it.
Congratulation to all.

Climax
12-08-2005, 01:10 AM
I am glad to have participated One more time among lots of great artists and friends,
I wish luck to all of you
All are winner images and deserve the best, so CONGRATULATIONS TO EVERYONE, i hope to see you all in the next one!
:beer:

adrianguerra
12-08-2005, 01:23 AM
Hi, My name is Adrian Guerra challenger #107263_119186, Today i was viewing the complete entries and noticed that my image did not appear in the list, so after reviewed my thread I realized that I missed 2 milestones, I understand it was a mistake by my side, but my english is not that good and i didn't understand the rules of the contest, so started submiting as i was working,
As I said before, I understand that it was my mistake, but it would be unfair to leave out of the challenge because i worked hard to finish it, I am asking you to consider my position and and if it is posible to make an exception having in mind this is my firts challenge and that every time i posted a milestone i had to ask somebody to translate what i wanted to say ( same as now ) please answer this e mail to make me know of your decision wich I will accept no matter wich it is, but I ask u once more time to consider my entry, if there is something i could do to enter to the judging part I will appreciate your help in this issue

Regards
Adrian Guerra

This is the link to my challenge page so you can check it out:
http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/spectacular/view_entries.php?challenger=9186 (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/spectacular/view_entries.php?challenger=9186)

polygonwarrior
12-08-2005, 04:55 AM
Congratulations to all who managed to complete the challenge on time.It was really fun working and interacting with cgtalk friends.Best of luck to everyone and wish u all a merry christmas.:bounce:

beelow
12-08-2005, 05:59 AM
you celebrate christmas in India!?:surprised Cool!:thumbsup:

pcjohn
12-08-2005, 06:57 AM
Spectacular!!

Good luck everyone!!!:thumbsup:

Versiden
12-08-2005, 08:54 AM
congrats to everyone that managed to finish. The work produced is just outstanding, I'm amazed at the creativity and talent out there!

3dmiao
12-08-2005, 12:00 PM
:thumbsup: 3 months... it's simple great to work with so many talented challengers.
I think, all of challenger have won something from the process.
Congratulate for the people who have completed this challenge. and thank CGTALK!!

Miao:applause:

ilusiondigital
12-08-2005, 12:05 PM
3 months, 300 images, lot of hard work, good friends, what can we say?, this is a great page and a great contest, this is my 2nd challenge and i´m so proud of this, hope to make thousand more. At least 100 impressive images, there´s a quality level, and i learn a lot.

My best wishes 4 all, and hope to see you in the next one.

Goood Luck.

Adrian: Espero que tu imagen cuente amigo :)

evanfotis
12-08-2005, 01:39 PM
This was the first challenge I participated in (finally pushed by friends to decide that it would be fun and wouldnt hurt), and I really enjoyed it!
Good practice for one, time to go over and over the same image to improve it (although too much time, doesn't work so good for me-see boredom-), fellow artists feedback (not for newcomers though...), get to meet other artists and their way of working, and so much more...

Best of luck to all participants!
hope I have time to get involved in the next challenge

madshooter
12-08-2005, 05:50 PM
Best wishes for all:thumbsup: This was a great challenge. See ya everybody in the next challenge, All the best and wish you all a very happy and a merry christmas:)

dern
12-08-2005, 06:01 PM
This was my fisrt contest and I had a blast! Thanks to all those who helped along the way, and a big thanks to the folks at cgsociety for putting this on. The level of talent here is incredible, it gives me a benchmark to strive for.

Best of luck to all!!!

That being said.... when's the next contest start:eek:?!?!?!?!? Kidding of course, I'm sure everyone could use a little break now.

reiv
12-08-2005, 06:19 PM
Really great challenge and entries!
Thanks and good luck all!

Nomad
12-08-2005, 07:58 PM
Good Luck to everyone! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

alvin-cgi
12-08-2005, 08:58 PM
Congratulate to everyone!:scream: :thumbsup:

alvin_cgi

My 3d Spectacular challenge entry:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=275950

JRBRAZ
12-09-2005, 12:44 AM
Congratulations for the 300 great artists who work hard to finish in time. :beer:

Was a great pleasure work this 3 months with all you guys.

I hope to see everybody in the next one :thumbsup:

Goul
12-09-2005, 12:53 AM
I've take fun to participate on this challenge, even if i've not complete my pic at time :)
It was a great experience :)

I will be one of the first to suscribe the next one for sure :D
Good luck to everyone who finish in time , and see you in the next :bounce:

iamawizard
12-09-2005, 06:01 AM
this was my first entry

saw it very late, just on 4th December

anyway was able to complete it on time..

was really a great experience.

Headless
12-09-2005, 06:32 AM
Congratulations to everyone that finished. I've just looked through all 300 entires and it's crazy. It's like getting enough work to fill the front page images for six months, all at once.

In an effort to find my favourites I opened all the images in tabs and then closed the ones I didn't think were as good until i'd narrowed it down to the final ones I liked. I felt really guilty doing it cause i'd be like "yes, no, no, no, yes", and thinking about all the man hours that went into this stuff made it kinda cruel just dismissing this amazing work simply because there was something that was just that little bit more amazing next to it. It seems like most all of the entries deserve to win something.

I have my personal favourites noted down and where i'd place them, but what's the word on posting that? No-one else has done it so far, so I was kind of wary about posting my personal top 4 for each category in case that's frowned upon.

Either way, well done to everyone who participated.

vampeta
12-09-2005, 07:52 AM
Hi Folks,

Congratulations to everyone!

Finaly we meet again at this place to take a short chillout bevore the next challenge comes up. :scream:hahaha

The Images at this Challenge are indeed the most spectacular i have ever seen!!
(wothy a new BOOK from Ballistic !! ... what do you think LEONARD? :D;) )

I want to send out a BIG thanks again to all the people behind this who are making this place so nice! and are pushing us to levels we would normaly not reach! not?

It was an great honour to challenge with you again
See on the next :D:buttrock::thumbsup:
Alex

Lovas
12-09-2005, 08:14 AM
Amazing quality of artwork - as expected! I'd also like to express my congratulations to all of the fellow participants and to thank again the people who organized this Challenge. A great, creative, three-month long holiday party with great people all over the world creating great stuff!!!

mmoir
12-09-2005, 02:38 PM
Hey CG Talk ,

I just want to thank you for running this contest , this is my third contest and I have improved my skills because of this contest . It really is great to participate in them and I look forward to the next one.

Jaba153
12-09-2005, 02:45 PM
yeaaah big up to every spectacularacer in 2d&3d thanx to da cee gee comunity great level!!

and massive ultraspectacular entries good luck to everybody
cheers
jaba

BobbEr
12-09-2005, 03:39 PM
Many thanks to CGtalk, & waiting for results :)! I hope it'll be earlyer than in M&S :)!

JeroenDStout
12-09-2005, 08:09 PM
I have my personal favourites noted down and where i'd place them, but what's the word on posting that? No-one else has done it so far, so I was kind of wary about posting my personal top 4 for each category in case that's frowned upon.

On the previous page someone did a large composite of his favorite works. I must say I do want to know what other people's favorite works were, everybody worked long on this competition and now suddenly there is very little chat about it.

I guess :)

In the hypothetical case this would be turned into a book and my entry would be published I'd be weirded out. I could have this book and go 'hey. Look who's on page 35' twenty times a day. And that is when nobody is around :)

GonzaloGolpe
12-09-2005, 08:53 PM
hehe Parrot this would be a wonderful idea. A book of all works of this Challenge,:) . I´d like to put here my favourite works and it´d be cool if you put yours,hehe.

I LOVE mostly of your works but,from my point of view these ones represent the instructions of the challenge (in alphabetical order):

Ben Hooley (Avatarist) (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/spectacular/entry.php?challenger=8198)

David Freeman ( Mr.Freeman ) (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/spectacular/entry.php?challenger=7853)

Frederic St.Arnaud (fred12) (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/spectacular/entry.php?challenger=9307)

Hector Acosta (barbapapa) (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/spectacular/entry.php?challenger=9493)

Jason Lynch (lynch) (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/spectacular/entry.php?challenger=7996)

Joel Carlo ( Mecha Hate Chimp) (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/spectacular/entry.php?challenger=8137)

Matt Dixon (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/spectacular/entry.php?challenger=8326)

Michael Dashow (Walrus) (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/spectacular/entry.php?challenger=8205)

And if you let me,the mine (http://features.cgsociety.org/challenge/spectacular/entry.php?challenger=8159) hahaha:p

Really I like many works and I´ll give them an award, but these are my favourites. Good luckk again and regards!!

Zalo

GonzaloGolpe
12-09-2005, 08:54 PM
I forgot to say that those were my favourites on 2D, I´ll post my favs on 3D later,hehe

CGTalk Moderation
12-09-2005, 08:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.