PDA

View Full Version : A pirates life for me

Sarford
12-06-2005, 11:19 PM
Hello all,

Here it goes, my first WIP on CGforums. Kinda nervous.
This picture is about a drunken pirate bragging about something he did/is gonna do to captain .......
Meanwhile the person he is bragging about just entered the inn and he doesnt notice the person. This person is the much feared captain ....... You can see the captain is a very evil person becouse his cane is made of human leg bones :P

I wanna do this picture in a comic-style and trying to let the inn have an atmosphere like the ones in WoW (the game).

The captain still needs a hat, just haven't decided yet. The guys on the right still need some fleshing out. The cape of the captain look a little bit dull, need to work on that too.

Mind u, this is a sketch in progress, it still need fleshing out and cleaning up. I thought it would be wise to post allready to force me to continue on this drawing. :)

Crits are allways welcome

regards, Simon

http://www.blinqclients.net/images/BillyBone001.jpg

http://www.blinqclients.net/images/BillyBone002.jpg

http://www.blinqclients.net/images/BillyBone003.jpg
:p

plig
12-06-2005, 11:28 PM
i like the little guy hiding behind the coutner and the pirates moustache. definitely keep working on it, pirates are always fun.

Sarford
12-07-2005, 06:41 PM
a little update. The captain still needs a lot of work and a hat. Quite difficult to make a interesting cape. Maybe I should remove the cape.... it does give a sinister look though.

enjoy

http://www.blinqclients.net/images/BillyBone004.jpg

lanternkid
12-07-2005, 10:00 PM
Hey, cool. I like your style, looks good. Maybe you could fiddle around with the composition, though. The way you've got it set out is a bit straightforward, so I think you might have trouble making the figure behind him look menacing (especially if you are using a light source from the ceiling) without making the whole left side darker.

You can take or leave this though, since I realise that you're already quite a bit of the way through the picture now...

Loulu79
12-07-2005, 10:49 PM
Ouch! Your bragging pirate has his right leg twisted in such a way....that it's best to put his leg inward...

He's no ballarina...ballarinas have "duck feet". ;)

Sarford
12-08-2005, 12:00 AM
Hello, Thank u all for the reply's and critique :)

@ Plig: Thank you, I do hope to finish this one :)

@ Moonlantern: Actualy I started this picture out as a composition practice after reading Philip Straubs lesson on composition. So far I never bothered to think about a real composition. In the first sketch u can see some faint composition lines using a Rule of thirds. I thought this was the best way to make this scene and I hoped to make it better/fix it with the coloring (I was planning on making a fairly bright scene). Maybe u could give me some hints on how to make it better?

@ Loulu79: You are absolutly right :thumbsup: . I've adjusted his right leg more inwards and changed the perspective on his left knee too.

Work to be done:
- dress the midged
- redraw the captain and change his perspective
- flesh out the guy in the front
- add some stuff on the floor... maybe...

after that I plan on cleaning the sketch.

Perspective is a bit off in this drawing but I don't find that distracting (I still have to adjust the foot of the table), what are your thoughts on that?

http://www.blinqclients.net/images/BillyBone005.jpg

JesseBlunt
12-08-2005, 10:46 AM
How to put this...

At the point you last posted, I'm worried that the drunken pirate's face and personality is far more interesting than the captain's. I know that this is part of the plot of the picture, but it seems that the captain should be mysterious but still interesting. Unless of course, you're not going for that angle and you plan to lead the story with the bumbling drunken pirate who somehow gets out of the situation. I suppose those details are up to the director and tough to guess about for a WIP. I'll just say that I enjoy your style very much and you seem to have a good grasp on composition and story writing.

Sarford
12-08-2005, 11:37 AM
Hi JesseBlunt,

Thanks for ur sharp view. I was already worried about the captain not being interesting enough.

The plan was to make him a very sinister person without giving too much away, to let the viewer paint in the picture so to speak. The key-point to that are the cape (so viewers can imagine for them selves how manacing he realy looks), the cane wich is made of human femurs and his face only lid from underneath (the reflected light from the floor, because of his big hat).

Its the cape I'm having most troubles with, it makes the captain rather dull (visualy). But I'm afraid to give away too much if I remove the cape. I was hoping by giving a few visual clues the viewer could make up the charcter of the captain and also imagine his way of life.

I'm still gonna try to redraw the captain with a cape but thats only because I have no clue how to solve this problem :/

Ill post an update later today

Thanks for ur comments :)

Sarford
12-08-2005, 03:14 PM
Ok, I think I solved the problem.

I did a redesign of the captain and changed his stance.
I droped the big cape and gonna add a cape with a much smaller collar.
His head is much more visible now wich gives him more character.
I placed him more to the middle of the scene wich enhances his involvement.
I made him watch the drunken pirate wich strengthen their relationship.
I show a bit more of his clothes, giving the viewer a few more clue's about who and what he is.

I think Ill make his eye's glowing red. Its a little corny but I think it makes him more manacing in a cartoon-kind of way.
I'm still not very happy with the hat but for now this is the best I could do. I tried some other variations but this one works the best in this scene.

Maybe tonight Ill have an other update otherwise maybe tomorrow...

ps: The captain is gonna be a bony figure but no skeleton. He still has flesh on his bones. For his clothes I think luxury but worn...

Any thoughts comments?

http://www.blinqclients.net/images/BillyBone006.jpg

spollock
12-08-2005, 03:58 PM
I was thinking about your pirate captain, and ways to show his character without giving too much away. I realize that your image is a more cartoonish one, but if you wanted to throw in some historical detailing, did not pirates sometimes borrow language or style from the navies they came from? Perhaps while keeping the captain's garments overall simple, you could add some braiding detail around the edges of the cloak, or epaulets, or a badge or flourish on the hat?

I was looking at this picture of Admiral Nelson when I got this idea:
http://nolantravels2.home.att.net/3engpic22.jpg

lanternkid
12-09-2005, 03:42 AM
It'd be a bad idea to change the whole picture when you've already done this much on it, so this is just a suggestion to keep in mind for next time. This is what I was trying to describe to you:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b169/moonlantern/piratecomposit.jpg

The focus is more clearly on the captain cuz he's positioned on one of the intersects, the line of the ceiling and the bench lead towards him and the pirate's friend are also looking at him. The dark background also makes him look more evil and ominous, and you can still make the picture bright like you wanted.

Anyways it's probably not such a good composition if you really wanna focus on the individual characters. They look awesome, btw, I love the sitting-down guy's expression :bounce:

KORG
12-09-2005, 08:11 AM
Wow, thats awesome. I think the captain update makes it 100% better. Nice job! I can't wait to see the finished work :thumbsup:

Sarford
12-09-2005, 04:02 PM
Just a very quick reply... I'm on an assignment right now and its gonna be late toninght, so no time to make an update :cry:

Thanks for all the replies, Ill reply tomorrow and make an update too :)

Sarford
12-13-2005, 04:10 PM
Just a small update, Im working on the captain now.

Im strugling now to get some decent lines on the paper. Anyone know the experience of drawing flawlesly one week yet the next week everything seems to go wrong? Well, seems I'm in the second week now :p

I hope u like the captain. As said I changed his cape and made him a bony figure.
His hair is gonna be thin white strands. Still trugling with his clothes. I tried to give him some 17th century clothes but when I do that he seems to come from the wrong timeframe. Still have to work on him some more I guess :hmm:

@ Spollock: Good Idear, I think Ill give him a Florish on his hat. Epaulets wont be vissible because of the cape though. I tend to make his clothes fairly dark, and maybe made of velvet. Thanks for your information, never knew that :) You are even a navy officer :cool: , cool!!

@ Moonlantern: Thanks for ur drawing, I see what u mean. I agree with u that the composition would be much more interesting but I also think the scene would be less clear, It would be harder to see whats going on. Thank u though for thinking along and following this thread :D

@ KORG: Thanks m8, Im afraid its not going as fast as I would like to :/

ps: the 'color' under his cape is just to mask the basefigure, nothing final...

Thoughts and comments are welcome :)

http://www.blinqclients.net/images/BillyBone007.jpg

Sarford
05-11-2006, 11:56 PM
Hi Guys,

It has been a while :P What can I say... busy busy busy...

But I picked up my wacom stylus again and continued the pirate drawing.

I decided the concept drawing is finished and started working on the color.
First I blocked-in the color quickly and now I'm fleshing it out a little.

This is the first time I paint without lines so the quality is not too great but its to learn to paint without lines that I started this painting to begin with. Before this I always made kind of cartoon drawings, you know, with thick black lines around everything :P

Comments and critiques are welcome as allways...

http://www.blinqclients.net/images/BillyBone008.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
05-11-2006, 11:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.