PDA

View Full Version : easy grid?

typeA
11-23-2002, 09:31 AM
this might be a dumbass question but is there a quick way to get a draftpaper style grind in ps without layingout rulers and drawing all the lines????

jeroentje
11-23-2002, 09:47 AM
Ehm.. I would prefer to make that in illustrator and copy paste it to photoshop. (make a line, drag it with pressing alt and hitting reapeat a coupl of times).
But photoshop only, draw a line on a transperent layer, use the clone tool to get the same distance everywhere, duplicate the layer, and rotate one of the layers 90 degrees (ctrl-T, rotating pressing shift).
You could also merge the 2 layers than and use the free transformation tool to put the grid in a perspective.

Hope this answers your question.

Stroker
11-23-2002, 11:21 AM
Let's say you want your grid squares to be 30x30.

1. Start a new doc that's 30x30
2. Line across top
3. Line down the side
4. Select > All (ctrl + a)
5. Edit > Define Pattern

Whenever you need it, just Edit > Fill and use the pattern.
You might want to take the time to make a few such patterns at various sizes. I usually have around a dozen or so pre-defined for a variety of uses.

typeA
11-23-2002, 12:08 PM
yeah thanks the answer is realy simple now i guess i just ben at the comp to long:surprised :beer:

frog
11-23-2002, 04:36 PM
Even easier: hit control-k to get your preferences up, go to "guides & grid" and set up your grid spacing there.

You can toggle this grid on and off by hitting control + '

:)

typeA
11-24-2002, 12:45 AM
yeah but i want the grid in the pic that gird is just a reference tool...right?

HarlequiN
11-24-2002, 08:21 AM
Well, another way to do it is to use the noise filter, ram it all the way up and use colour noise.

Then use the mosaic filter, set to the size you want your grid and apply an auto levels to that (you don't have to, but I find it helps)

Then run a find edges filter over the result and use threshold till it's just a black grid on a white background.

That'll give you a grid. You can cut out the holes using standard selection tools and alter the colour and brightness of the lines with the hue/saturation tool.

It sounds complicated, but with an action set up it takes less than 3 seconds to do a grid at any time - and even then it's because I stop it so I can enter the mosaic size (and thus the grid size). The disadvantage is of course that your grid lines will be 2 pixels wide - though scaling it by 50% fixes this and can also be part of the action if need be.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.