http://www.macromedia.com/

3 new bundles:

Design bundle. http://www.adobe.com/products/bundles/design_bundle.html
Web bundle. http://www.adobe.com/products/bundles/web_bundle.html
Video bundle. (NR) http://www.adobe.com/products/bundles/video_bundle.html

Squeakypics
12-06-2005, 09:35 PM
A sad day.
Lack of competition is not good for us users.

jeremybirn
12-06-2005, 09:46 PM
A sad day.
Lack of competition is not good for us users.

If it makes you feel any better, it could have been worse. They say Adobe was worried Microsoft might buy Macromedia if Adobe didn't.

-jeremy

rocarpen
12-06-2005, 09:55 PM
If it makes you feel any better, it could have been worse. They say Adobe was worried Microsoft might buy Macromedia if Adobe didn't.

-jeremy

Nice options. Microsoft vs. Adobe, or Adobe vs. Nobody. This takes industry consolidation too far, in my opinion. Can't see any way that this will be better for users (other than the inevitably tighter integration)

ulb
12-06-2005, 09:59 PM

-jeremy
let's just hope that microsoft will not buy adobe...:rolleyes:

BillSpradlin
12-06-2005, 11:07 PM
You still have Corel Draw... heh.

TetraLynx
12-06-2005, 11:50 PM
Man, seeing the Adobe Header on Macromedia's old site.... that just hurts. I really do hope that Microsoft's new deal Acyrlic is good. I want there to be some competition, some reason for Adobe to keep moving forward.

chrisWhite
12-07-2005, 03:48 AM
Corel Draw? Yeah right, still the best vector app IMHO, but their PS knock off is a very poor substitute. Still think they could put out something awesome if they created a product with Painter's brush engine, PSP's power with a big upgrade and some of Corel Draw's vector tools. Then just pack it up in a nice Draw/Painter hybrid GUI and we might have something solid.

Womball
12-07-2005, 07:08 AM
So now Flash won't be able to count just like Premier and Photoshop. Grrr messed up my batch actions for my animation project.

mustique
12-07-2005, 10:03 AM
I wanna hope that things will be better but I can't.

I'm afraid adobe will have tons of memory hungry apps which won't have decent upgrades.
If our 3D apps would have as poor upgrades as Photoshop, we'd all convert every 2 years.

Oh and the sluggish Adobe Bridge is getting on my nerves. It looks like things will only get worse with other adobe apps relying on Bridge too. Bridge even tries to sell stock photos and puts its folders here and there and will ask you a couple of times a week to get new desktop capitalizing updates. I miss the times where you didn't need to worry abou OS, program, antivirus/spam filter updates every day...

Its kinda sad that we'll rely on MS to be the only one giving Adobe a run for its money today. BTW can you imagine what adobe would do if it was selling you an OS?!

-JT-
12-07-2005, 11:16 AM
intersting article about how adobe was afraid of microsoft new suite : http://www.informit.com/articles/article.asp?p=425821&rl=1

igorstshirts
12-08-2005, 08:32 PM
From that article...
Flash has loosely supported 3D through complex and program-bogging scripts, or sequences of animation tools created with products such as eRain's Swift 3D, but it doesn't have the capability to directly support 3D models. Sparkle provides this ability.

That's pretty interesting. Adobe will need a full 3D app here soon to complete the circle. I wonder if they are working on one or are going to acquire an existing one.

Lightwave?

chrisWhite
12-08-2005, 08:39 PM
From that article...

That's pretty interesting. Adobe will need a full 3D app here soon to complete the circle. I wonder if they are working on one or are going to acquire an existing one.

Lightwave?

They wouldn't dare...

Would they?

igorstshirts
12-08-2005, 08:54 PM
It's a pretty good fit.

paintbox
12-08-2005, 09:37 PM
"universal client" .... this means there will be an adobe browser of some kind.

About the merger...I don't know yet if this is good or bad. Let's see.

Hazdaz
12-08-2005, 09:43 PM
Damn there is a ton of over-lap in this new and "improved" Adobe company.

Oh, and I predict that Adobe will most definitly buy up one of the 'lesser' 3D apps out there now. It's already got phot-editing, it's got vector graphics, it's got video and now web development. 3D seems to be the next logical step in Adobe having a foothold in all major graphic markets.

I say it's gonna take about a year for them to digest Macromedia, then the corporate entity will be hungry again and out to hunt for some prey. (Lightwave... run, run!)

Grim Beefer
12-08-2005, 10:05 PM
I also wouldn't be surprised if they bought Maya off of Autodesk, assuming they want to get into a more competitive market. I would imagine Adobe execs like the fact that they have no serious competition for any of their products, and wouldn't be too eager to change that.
When you think about it, we are all at the mercy of money in this digital content creation racket. I think someone else nailed it earlier; why hasn't Adobe combined Illustrator and Photoshop into one all powerfull editor? They certainly could do it if they wanted to, and this goes for any company that sells multiple overlapping products that are for some reason fragmented (Autodesk?). The answer, of course, is to make money - by forcing us all to purchase several programs with overlapping toolsets. This is not the way that most technology has evolved throughout the centuries (I don't have to buy a different paintbrush for canvas or wood), and I don't see a reason why we should stand by and let Adobe get away with halting the progress of evolution just to make a greasy buck.

chrisWhite
12-08-2005, 10:24 PM
If they buy one up I'll bet they buy one of the smaller highend programs like Cinema or Lightwave. The other thing I could see them doing is buying something smaller liker Truespace, Cararra or Electric Image and giving it some major R&D money.

Hazdaz
12-08-2005, 10:46 PM
GRIM - Being a long time AutoDesk user, I laughed a little too hard when you mentioned them. God damn that company has no clue about streamlining it's product line.

And also your point about MAYA actually makes a lot of sense. AutoDESK did not buy Alias for MAYA, so them selling off that asset to someone like Adobe actually makes a lot of sense.

chrisWhite
12-09-2005, 03:26 AM
I trust Autodesk to do a decent job with Maya, there's no way I ever want to see it in Adobe's hands.

*Note to self, any DCC company I start must have an 'A' name. Alias, Autodesk, Avid, Adobe, Apple...

Hazdaz
12-09-2005, 04:15 AM
I trust Autodesk to do a decent job with Maya.
Sounds like you don't have much experience with AutoDESK products... and MAX is jsut the tip of the iceberg when it comes to their productline. AutoDESK is one of the last companies I would want a peice of software that I use to be controlled by - and I unfortunataly know that from many years of experience.

paintbox
12-09-2005, 07:51 AM
A good chance that Autodesk bought Maya just so Adobe wouldn't have it. Unless Adobe buys Autodesk -or- vice versa. eek !

Leionaaad
12-09-2005, 04:58 PM
In the end, Billgates will rule us all! He is just waiting untill these small time loosers will buy eachother up. and then, Microsoft will buy the last company.

Behind all these things are the freemasons, of course, or other underground organisations

Hazdaz
12-09-2005, 05:07 PM
Behind all these things are the freemasons, of course, or other underground organisations

http://freemasonry.bcy.ca/fiction/fraternities/stonecutters/clubhouse.jpg

The Stonecutters for the win.

mummey
12-09-2005, 06:58 PM
At least Adobe hasn't merged with the Empire (Autodesk). yet... :hmm:

boutwell
12-10-2005, 12:37 AM
Excellent. Now perhaps Adobe will take a few minutes and release After Effects 7.

CGTalk Moderation
12-10-2005, 12:37 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.