PDA

View Full Version : lowpoly future-traditional gun models

flaagan
11-23-2002, 06:50 AM
Four guns I modeled in maya 4 for my college's game club's (http://www.fuzzywoto.org ) upcoming game "The Company" (game info available at the site). All four had a poly limit of 60-75 polys and most ended up being around 40-55 polys (the grenade launcher was around 70). The textures are all 256x256 (the semi-transparent black lines are the UV Maps).

http://studioflaagan.com/images/3d/ftmodels.jpg

um... other comments... hmmmm
I'd offer the wireframes but these things are so low poly it's pretty much visible already. oh, yah, these are my first four real models in maya ever (excluding basic tests to get to know the tools), and the textures are my first for models. I'm looking forward to doing some (much) higher poly models for our club's next game, R3, a UT2003 racing game mod.
crit and rip and comment away folks~
- flaagan

Tumerboy
11-23-2002, 12:15 PM
THEY ALL SUCK!

ok. . . not really. . . .

MK2
11-23-2002, 05:32 PM
Low Poly not means Low Detail.
Rework the texture!
If it helps build the gun highpoly, render it and map that onto the lowpoly object.

mk

Tumerboy
11-23-2002, 10:16 PM
James, if you're coming tonight, I'll help you out with some stuff. . .
They aren't bad, but they do need more detail . . .

Tumerboy
11-25-2002, 12:12 PM
except when it's a stratagy game and there's potentially 90 characters on screen all with guns, armor, etc. . .
That's why they're 70

thedaemon
11-25-2002, 02:32 PM
U need to fix the seams, but nice work. Its hard to make real lowpoly sometimes :) expecially to make it look great. Keep on workin on the textures.

Tumerboy
11-25-2002, 10:08 PM
keep in mind that these are for a strategy game, so the biggest you'll ever see them, is MAYBE half the size he's posted. . .

thedaemon
11-26-2002, 12:11 AM
But its good practice to do the best you can :P Always do your best. And work your ass off! :airguitar

Tumerboy
11-26-2002, 03:24 AM
no question about work ethic, all I'm saying is that people have this expectation that all game art is for an FPS or something where you have a rather limited number of characters and objects, so the poly/texture count can be bigger. . . this is not that, this is a stratagy game, with lots of little characters running around a big map, so the poly count and texture size is quite a bit more limited. Again this is a totally separate issue from work ethic. We always do the best that we can, and we always learn from doing so, it's just that sometimes people don't realize the constraints you're forced to work with, and thus, interpret those constraints as poor quality. . .

Anyway, that's my rant for the day.

thedaemon
11-26-2002, 03:28 AM
I never said it was poor quality, it looks good to me :cool: But he still should fix the seams, see the bottom left gun? the tip of the gun doesnt seam in with the side of the gun (the green metal). Its the little things that count. BTW u guys got some ingame screenshots yet? :bounce:

Tumerboy
11-26-2002, 04:16 AM
nothing with weapons yet, we've been doing lots of engine tests, but it's just a character with general animations moving around. . .

flaagan
11-26-2002, 04:16 AM
I guess I should butt in at this point, since Nick (tumerboy) has been nice enough to stand up for my work.

As far as the detail is in the models are concerned (poly count and textures), I was told by the modeling lead that what was important was that they be recognizable in shape and texture when seen in-game. I use the term 'recognizable' because, as far as I know (and Nick can correct me if I'm wrong), the size off these models in-game will be tiny compared to how big they are shown here. I will try to get one of our programmers to get a screenshot of a character holding a gun to give an example.

Thanks again to all the input you guys have given, by the way! :applause:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.