PDA

View Full Version : mrLiquid for Maya v0.7

gga
12-06-2005, 04:15 PM
mrLiquid for Maya v0.7
----------------------

What is it? A free and also open source maya to mray converter, using the mental ray stand-alone. Works with maya7 and mray3.4.

Features:
- Overall, 25-50% faster than Mayatomr
- Hair is properly supported
- PaintFX is partially supported
- IPR - simply put, the best IPR.
* normal/progressive IPR
* particles/hair are IPRable.
* change any shader setting
* attach new shaders
* create/model new geometry
* move lights, adjust shadows, create new lights
* duplicate objects, lights or instances
* open or import new scenes
* change approximation settings
* change displacement
* change frames in the timeline
* works with motion blur
* render passes support
* can work with file references
- Almost all of Maya7's Mayatomr features are supported
- Geometry baking
- Texture baking (including animation)
- Flagged approximations
- Free and, as soon as linux betatesting is done, open source

Demo videos at:
http://www.putfile.com/gga73

Where to get it:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mrliquid/

Currently available for Windows.
...Stay tuned for the linux version coming soon...

playmesumch00ns
12-06-2005, 04:37 PM
That looks very impressive gga! How long did that take you to write?

A quick technical question: how do you listen in Maya to tell whether anything's changed and so the IPR needs updating?

How long will the linux version be?

Bonedaddy
12-06-2005, 04:51 PM
Very, very cool. Bless you.

thomaspecht
12-06-2005, 04:54 PM
very interesting. i'm wondering about your version naming scheme though - if i wanted to try this under maya 6.0, would mrliquid0.6 be the version to get and compile or do the newer ones work as well?

gga
12-06-2005, 06:50 PM
That looks very impressive gga! How long did that take you to write?

Seventeen years for the knowledge. 5-6 months (on and off) of actual coding. Most of the core stuff was really done in 2 months.

A quick technical question: how do you listen in Maya to tell whether anything's changed and so the IPR needs updating?

I use the API. See all the MMesage and derived classes. It's all in there, albeit maya does some funky stuff and you also have to be careful not to update some stuff at some points as the api will crash beautifully if you do (or make maya exhibit weird behavior). Finding that out was, shall we say... an adventure. I also did some crazy shit here and there to make the update as fast as possible.

How long will the linux version be?

With the addition of approximations and baking in RC3, I consider v0.7 more or less feature complete now, so I don't plan to add anything else for this release.
Depends on how testing goes (ergo, why it is still RC3 and not just v0.7). I'm away from production, so some brave artists are now really starting to bang on it and they keep finding bugs here and there. I still feel we'll have one or two more RCs before I call v0.7 *done*.
That being said, I do think the main reason I have not put out a linux version yet is that I really have been too lazy to turn one of my windoze boxes into linux.

gga
12-06-2005, 07:19 PM
very interesting. i'm wondering about your version naming scheme though - if i wanted to try this under maya 6.0, would mrliquid0.6 be the version to get and compile or do the newer ones work as well?

Probably neither. v0.6 is an earlier release, that does only .mi spitting (no IPR) -- and with a bunch of syntax errors at that, as I developed it without any mray stand-alone. It was mainly done and tested with Maya5.0. I think I did add some stuff for 6.0 and 6.5 -- but without really testing it at all.
Also, v0.6 does not come with mrClasses nor rubyMEL -- two other projects of mine that are now housed under the mrLiquid roof.

thematt
12-06-2005, 08:06 PM
looks great!! that make me want to use mental ray..i can't beleive it.:)

Do you need to have the stand alone install for it to work or does it use the version alreadytied to maya? sorry if it's a silly question.
(asking that because of course i don't have acess to the stand alone so .. :shrug: )

anyway thanks a lot for the effort and thanks even more for sharing your hard work with everybody this way.

cheers

send2raj
12-07-2005, 11:47 AM
I've installed Mr.liquidin my comp,but it's not working though switched on in the plug in manager. Any info abt installation?

Koogle
12-07-2005, 12:16 PM
I'm having problems getting the rubyMell.mll file to load:

// Error: Unable to dynamically load : C:/Program Files/Alias/Maya7.0/modules/mrLiquid/0.7RC3/plug-ins/rubyMEL.mll
The specified module could not be found.
//
// Error: The operation completed successfully.
//
(rubyMEL) //

The other mrLiquid.mll file loads up fine in the plugin manager. Both files are in the same directory. Is there any fix I can try? Wouldn't mind trying the plugin out anything thats "Overall, 25-50% faster than Mayatomr" has got to be worth trying out :thumbsup:

leuey
12-07-2005, 06:25 PM
This looks fantastic - but did I hear you say PII w/ 128 megs? is that your main workstation? if so you have to win some kind of award.

-Greg

Nick2970
12-07-2005, 10:51 PM
I get the same problems, rubyMEL won't load, mrLiquid loads but I get no menus or any sign that it exists within maya. Same errors in the script editor

I would really like to try this, as I believe mayatomr is the main reason I don't use mental ray (oh and the slow motion blur)

Cheers, Nick

Jozvex
12-07-2005, 11:36 PM
You need to install the Ruby scripting language first, before you install mrLiquid. At least I did and it solved the problem. You get the Ruby stuff from here:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/rubyinstaller

Koogle
12-08-2005, 12:19 AM
Thanks Jovex.. the link didn't contain the installer(File Couldn't be Found) but I searched and grabbed it from this site instead: http://www.ruby-lang.org/

edit.. nevermind all startup errors fixed.. just get the new V0.7RC4 from sourceforge

zhenyang
12-08-2005, 04:32 AM
Hello, i got this error when i start Maya after installing mrLiquid. How do i resolve this conflict?:

mrLiquid: Error: Could not register shader "zDepthDOF" with id 3001. Possible ID conflict.
mrLiquid: Error: That ID corresponds to node: gg_reflectionocclusion

Nick2970
12-08-2005, 04:49 AM
Thanks Jared, helpful as always, I would be very interested in your opinion when you have had a chance to use this tool, as a mental ray expert your thoughts would be a great help. I am all mayaman/air over here so I don't muck around with mental ray much these days

Cheers, Nick

send2raj
12-08-2005, 07:02 AM
Phew :banghead: ...........even after installing ruby and mrliquid,it's giving the following message
// Error: Unable to dynamically load : C:/Program Files/Alias/Maya7.0/modules/mrLiquid/0.7RC3/plug-ins/rubyMEL.mll
//
//
(rubyMEL) //

what gud be wrong?Help me out guys.

Jozvex
12-08-2005, 10:21 AM
Thanks Jared, helpful as always, I would be very interested in your opinion when you have had a chance to use this tool,

I've been using it for a few days now and it actually shocked me how good it is... For those that have used XSI, mrLiquid's IPR is pretty much the same as XSI's preview render mode (not the viewport Region Render), in that it's a fully finished render, supporting everything, that just 'knows' how to rerender to keep the image current. `Progressive IPR' mode is good for when you're making quick changes because it will rerender at a much lower quality (so it's fast) and then it'll gradually ramp up to your desired final quality while you're idle (even the FG settings do this).

Rendering hardware particles and (some) paintfx natively is nice, as is the general scene translation speed. It can also render coloured triangles showing you how your objects are tesellated.

Basically, if you have a license of MR Standalone!and Maya 7 there's no point not getting it!

stuffy
12-08-2005, 05:21 PM
Phew :banghead: ...........even after installing ruby and mrliquid,it's giving the following message
//
//
(rubyMEL) //

what gud be wrong?Help me out guys.

Did you install ruby as Josvex mentioned before? I had the same problem as you. The ruby part of the mrliquid installer is not enough you need the full installer from http://rubyinstaller.rubyforge.org/. Install mrliquid again you should be fine.

Steffen

Nick2970
12-09-2005, 01:23 AM
I have downloaded ruby and followed all the instructions for mrliquid but get this

// mrLiquid: Parsing mi file: "C:/Program Files/Alias/Maya7.0/modules/mrLiquid/0.7RC3/shaders/maya.auxlibs.mi"
// mrLiquid: Parsing mi file: "C:/Program Files/Alias/Maya7.0/modules/mrLiquid/0.7RC3/shaders/mray_shaders.mi"
// mrLiquid: Parsing mi file: "C:/Program Files/Alias/Maya7.0/modules/mrLiquid/0.7RC3/shaders/mrl_shaders.mi"
// mrLiquid: Parsing mi file: "C:/Program Files/Alias/Maya7.0/mentalray/include/base.mi"
// mrLiquid: Parsing mi file: "C:/Program Files/Alias/Maya7.0/mentalray/include/contour.mi"
// mrLiquid: Parsing mi file: "C:/Program Files/Alias/Maya7.0/mentalray/include/paint.mi"
// Error: mrLiquid: Include file "C:\Archivos de programa\Alias\Maya7.0\mentalray\include\base.mi" not found, for token ""C:\Archivos de programa\Alias\Maya7.0\mentalray\include\base.mi"" //
// Error: mrLiquid: in file "C:/Program Files/Alias/Maya7.0/mentalray/include/paint.mi", line 18
//
// Error: (mrLiquid) /

Nick2970
12-09-2005, 01:41 AM
Just downloaded RC4, problem solved!!

Spacelord
12-30-2005, 12:14 AM
Wow this is pretty cool for you Maya users :)
Coming from XSI I can see one reason why this would be
better than the XSI version and thats your getting
to use the standalone Mental Ray.
You no longer have to wait for Maya or XSI to
update there software.
You will always have the latest version of Mental Ray,
well, as long as you buy it :)

cheers

halfknight
12-30-2005, 03:30 PM
Just a question,is the source of the plugin and the mr shader available? (Because GG wrote, it's open source ...:blush: (http://misc.php?do=getsmilies&wysiwyg=1&forumid=0#)).

But anyway, great work...:applause:

mustique
12-30-2005, 03:57 PM
Hey guys. Got problems. please help.

Is there anything else I need beside:

- ruby182.5

- mrLiquid.07RC.exe

maybe MR standalone?

Bonedaddy
12-30-2005, 06:59 PM
What is it? A free and also open source maya to mray converter, using the mental ray stand-alone. Works with maya7 and mray3.4.

Yes, you need MR standalone.

bjoern
01-15-2006, 04:52 AM
Hi I have a prob with mrLiquid:
I can load mrLiquid.mll and rubyMEL.mll "without" any error.

And I made a test by just rendering a dummyscene (plane and sphere...blaa)
with MR Standalone from the Commandline.
And it works. no probs here

But if I want to render with mrLiquid I got this error:

// Error: (mrLiquid) CreateProcess failed with:
The system cannot find the file specified.
//
// Error: (mrLiquid) Could not open pipe to mental ray stand-alone. //
// Error: (mrLiquid) Check path, licensing and accessability of command. //
// (mrLiquid) Done. Conversion Time: 00:00:00 000ms

what can I do more? :(

bjoern
01-15-2006, 05:47 AM
Ups... that's my versions
ruby installer-version : ruby182-15
mrLiquid : mrLiquid_0.7RC7
MR : 3.4

Has anyone an Idea? :-)

HowardB
01-15-2006, 06:48 AM
Oh wow I have the worst problem, I can’t even get ruby installed… I downloaded ruby 1.8.2-15 and some how the install button is grayed out. Could it be an admin thing? Never had problems with any other program installs.

bjoern
01-15-2006, 03:36 PM
got it, the ENV "MRL_RAY" wasn't set.
now everything works :))

Ultrasonic
05-09-2006, 10:24 PM
THERE IS ANOTHER GOD OUT THERE...AND IT IS YOU GONZALO!

I've just tried it on a simple scene and it is amazing! I'll check it out at work, where we have to deal with millions+ polygons, finalgather and all the other nasty MR Stuff...if this works I'll build you an altar....

Thanks a lot for your great contribution to our community.
Oli

...as Jozvex said, this is a must have for anyone using MR-Standalone...Great...
BTW: I'm not drunk...just amazed!

Korhon
05-10-2006, 12:35 PM
Hello.

I get this error message when Im trying to batch render with mrLiquid.
Im using mrLiquid_0.7RC8 and ruby184-16_rc1.

// File read in 0 seconds.
// ----- rubyMEL v0.80 (release) - (C) 2004/5 Gonzalo Garramuño - started init
// ----- rubyMEL v0.80 (release) finished init
// ------------------------------------------------------------
// YAML Config Maya Writer - v1.0
// Gonzalo Garramuño
// ------------------------------------------------------------
// Saving yaml file "C:/TEST/C:/TEST/TEST.yaml".
// Error: RUBY: c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/GG/ConfigMayaWriter.rb:179:in `initialize': Invalid argument - C:/TEST/C:/TEST/TEST.yaml //

Edit: Found the solution :) Just had to use the default Profject Data Locations and Data Transfer Locations under "Edit Project" in maya.

But now I got a new problem......
When i run batch with mrLiquid a windowserror pops up and says: "Windows cannot find RNDR.rb. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try agan"

Anyone know how to fix this?

Btw. Does mrLiquid suport maya particle instance?

Ultrasonic
05-29-2006, 03:52 PM
Hi,

mrLiquid works very well for us, but i have one little question. How do I involve Network Hosts into mrLiquid IPR Rendering. Somehow my rayhosts file is not used by mrl...

Thx in advance
Oliver

Rick Flowers
05-29-2006, 07:11 PM
THANK YOU!!! This is ace.

gga
05-31-2006, 02:27 AM
Somehow my rayhosts file is not used by mrl...

mrLiquid in and by itself does not use any rayhost file. It is up to your stand-alone mental ray.
Follow the instructions on setting a rayhost file for the standalone mental ray as provided by your vendor. Usually, maya2mr will use a file called maya.rayhosts while stand-alone will use a file called .rayhosts or .ray3hosts, by looking it in your home directory ( %HOMEDRIVE%/%HOMEPATH% on windows).
From a console, run:
> ray -v 9
and you will get full information of where mray looks for files.

gga
05-31-2006, 02:30 AM
When i run batch with mrLiquid a windowserror pops up and says: "Windows cannot find RNDR.rb. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try agan"

That probably means that the RNDR.rb script file is not in your PATH. Make sure your PATH environment variable points to the bin directory of mrLiquid's module directory.

Btw. Does mrLiquid suport maya particle instance?

Was supposed to, but it seems I broke the feature on some release. I've uploaded v0.7.5 onto sourceforge with a bug fix for it (among other small fixes).
Note, however, you cannot switch from point particles to particle instancer during IPR. You have to activate the IPR with the instancer already present.

Korhon
06-05-2006, 10:11 PM
Thanks sooo much for fixing particle instance! :applause:

Korhon
06-06-2006, 10:32 PM
Hmm....liquid wont render particle instance anymore :S

(mrLiquid) Error: |instancer1: Invalid object "particle1" type for particle instancer.
API 0.0 error 301088: [stdin], line 87: cannot delete "!MayaTranslatedWorld", no such entity
API 0.0 error 301088: [stdin], line 88: cannot delete "!AllLights:inst", no such entity
API 0.0 error 301088: [stdin], line 89: cannot delete "defaultLightSet", no such entity

Tried reinstalling liquid, but didnt help.
Im using maya 7.01.

marcury
07-04-2006, 09:49 AM
i get this error

// Error: (mrLiquid) CreateProcess failed with:

El sistema no puede hallar el archivo especificado.

//

// Error: (mrLiquid) Could not open pipe to mental ray stand-alone. //

// Error: (mrLiquid) Check path, licensing and accessability of command. //

// (mrLiquid) Done. Conversion Time: 00:00:00 016ms

sholari
02-12-2007, 09:42 AM
Hi everyone! Can you please tell me, wether mrliquid runs with Maya 6.5 and MR standalone 3.4 ? Answer would be great...

Thanks 2 all...

CGTalk Moderation
02-12-2007, 09:42 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.