PDA

View Full Version : Messiah:Studio Demo Flicker Problem

Fahad
12-06-2005, 03:25 PM
Hi,

I downloaded the demo from www.projectmessiah.com (http://www.projectmessiah.com/) to give it a try.

But I'm having a problem that's really annoying, which is a constant flickering problem.

It flickers whenever the mouse is over any button of the user interface. For example, when I start messiah, the defult view is that of "File", when I choose "Animate" and move the mouse about, the left side menu bar changes back and forth between "File" and "Animate". As well as a scene's contects seem to go back and forth between the current file and last file I opened, though when I play the animation, everything is Ok.

This is one example, I found to be true for any menu item I choose.

My system specs are as follows:

Processor: Pentium 4 560 (3.6GHz)
Memory: 1024MB
GFX Card: nVidia Quadro FX 1300.
Driver: 77.56

The one workaround I have found is to minimize the application then maximize, and everything is Ok. But once I choose another menu, it starts again.

It might be a driver settings issue, I'm not sure.

It's really annoying, as it doesn't give me a chance to learn anything about the application.

Anyone have any tips as to how to fix this?

Thanks.

isobarxx
12-06-2005, 04:40 PM
I've had that happen when I have certain other applications open under messiah that use per-pixel alpha blending like some winamp skins, kapsules, desktop X widgets, etc.

Other than that, here's my openGL settings. The 16bit texture depth is important.

http://66.180.150.90/temp/messiah_opengl_settings.jpg

Fahad
12-06-2005, 08:50 PM
Thanks isobarxx (http://member.php?u=1124),

I'll give it a try.

Update: ok it's still the same with 16bit textures.

Since you mentioned other application may interfere, the only two I usually have open is FF and mIRC.

I emailed pmG technical support yesterday, assuming that they've seen something like this before.

Thanks again,

cheers.

Layer01
12-06-2005, 09:57 PM
well this is just a stab in the dark, but i had some weird graphical glitches once in XSI, turned out i had hardware anti-aliasing truned on, once i turned that off everything was fine.
maybe you have something similar going on?

Parsec3d
12-06-2005, 10:14 PM
,, if nothing works ,, go to Troubleshoot on advanced display propieties and disable cursor and bitmap aceleration ,, that did the trick for me, and does not make messiah behave slow.

Fahad
12-07-2005, 07:20 PM
Thanks guys for the tips.

It's strange, but this is what happened:

I turn on my PC and start FF and mIRC, see your posts, so I straight away turn off anti-aliasing, and then open messiah. Everything works great, no more flicker.

BUT ... I decided to make sure if was actually an AA problem. So I close messiah, turn AA on to 4x. Opened messiah again, and it works fine. Got through a whole tutorial without a problem.

Hmm.

Anyway, so far so good, thanks again for the tips.

cheers.

Parsec3d
12-07-2005, 09:22 PM
yep that is normal, some times the problem starts once you open an app that has stay in front activated... but stops once you turn off aceleration.
weird but controlable once you know were to make it stop. lets hope there is a fixin a no so distant future but so far this is not on my list of urgent fixes..

ZenTarzan
01-31-2006, 06:26 PM
hi guys,
i also have a quadro 1300, and am experiencing the same flickering. the above fixes didnt work for me though. does anyone have any other ideas?
i just tried the latest driver and the previous two. no change. help me. oh please, help me.

WesComan
01-31-2006, 11:00 PM
Turning off 'Use unified back/depth buffer' usually fixes it for me.

shadowfork
02-01-2006, 01:55 AM
I have the same problem with my NVidia card.

I tried using an ATI RADEON card from another workstation and the flickering disappeard --among other issues. My openGL also got faster.

EDIT: nevermind this. I still get a flicker with the ATI card.

Geco
02-01-2006, 11:04 AM
Please can someone help me to solve my display problem?

http://img95.imageshack.us/img95/3125/interface9qn.png

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/8421/setting4tm.gif

I use a Dell Precision 670 dual Xeon workstation, winXP sp2, NVIDIA Quadro FX 3400.
ForceWare version: 81.67

ZenTarzan
02-01-2006, 11:07 PM
okay, i got it to work. i guess im just a dork and didnt do it right the first time or something. i turned off anitialiasing as well as the v sync and changed the buffer flipping to block transfer. the unified back/depth buffer seemed okay on... but who knows.

WoodyLWG
02-02-2006, 03:58 AM
Meh. None of the above worked for me. I'm using an old QuadroFX1100 by nVidia.
Still get the flickering menus, but I suppose that I'll just learn to look through it. *shrug*
Hopefully pmG has a fix waiting in the wings for everyone, it is rather annoying...

CGTalk Moderation
02-02-2006, 03:58 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.