PDA

View Full Version : farm aid for student!

btha8086
12-06-2005, 12:27 PM
hi. i'm a student learning 3d and i'd like to build a very small render farm. i receive +school credit+ (!!very important!!) if i'm able to build a _successful_ farm which significantely decreases rendering time. i'm being offered 3 ibm netfinity servers (specs below) for a discounted price. but i'm wondering if the hardware is even worth the LARGE amount of time it would take for me to pick them up and the painful dent it would put in my excruciatingly tiny student budget (we've all been there haven't we?). i know it's hard to say if these nodes will preform well without knowing what a project entails, but assuming it's 'intermediate level' modeling using maya or else basic vfx with after effects+photshop/illustrator+3d studio max...will these work?

+++please help with ANY suggestions, tips or nods in the right direction. i'm very confused+++

specs:
each unit contains
- a quad motherboard running 4x500mhz xeons with either 1mb or 2mb L2 cahce per cpu
- 1 gb ram
- gigafast nic

total: 12x500mhz xeon (1mb/2mb L2) and 3 gb ram.

THANK YOU SO MUCH.

deathman20
12-06-2005, 06:15 PM
While its not that powerful of systems, its the question of how much you can get it for? It of course will help in render times, and pretty decently with that amount of processors.

Guess its really relys on how much it costs overall. Can you give us numbers of how much it will run?

SweetDreamz
12-06-2005, 11:53 PM
What's the price?

btha8086
12-07-2005, 10:10 PM
first off, thanks for the response. i was feeling like a chicken running around with his head cut off until i started posting =)

the costs is $150 plus another $60 for a 1 gig upgrade. the other problem is that it's going to take me almost a full day hauling these servers in my 2 door honda =D (circa B.C.).

all lic/sw costs are _presumably_ covered by university, so i think i'm o.k., plus i'm going for linux and if i do que'ing software probably something free like dr. que.

btha8086
12-07-2005, 10:11 PM
forgot to give everyone a GIGANTIC 'THANK YOU!'!!!

deathman20
12-07-2005, 11:56 PM
So wait its $210 total for all of them? TAKE IT THEN!!! Even if its 210 per system thats not a horrible deal as long as you don't mind space heaters :)

btha8086
12-08-2005, 09:02 AM
"Even if its 210 per system thats not a horrible deal as long as you don't mind space heaters"

lol - it's hilarious you say that - cuz i don't have heat at night! chicago winters man...i'm telling ya...so it'd definately be a nice bonus =D...

and no, my fault, it's roughly $200 per server, but that's 500mhz 2mb L2/3 gb ram.

imashination
12-08-2005, 12:48 PM
Thats $650 then. Consider:

- They will be so loud..... lOUD... I SAID THEY'LL BE LOUD!
- They will be hot
- Running all 3 will give you a nice electricity bill
- You could build a single modern system at the same speed for roughly the same price

deathman20
12-08-2005, 01:35 PM
Thats $650 then. Consider:

- They will be so loud..... lOUD... I SAID THEY'LL BE LOUD!
- They will be hot
- Running all 3 will give you a nice electricity bill
- You could build a single modern system at the same speed for roughly the same price

Yup they'll be loud :) Frogot that part, and at least it helps out with the heating issue.

But ya they will eat a good portion of the electic bill. But I guess that offsets the no heater but it still would be decently pricey for the whole setup to run.

As for a single system taking it over for that price, got a system in mind? Its a pretty tight budget so it limits things you can toss in it. Most benificail would be a dual core cpu but theres half the cost of the system basically.

CGTalk Moderation
12-08-2005, 01:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.