PDA

View Full Version : COMING SOON IN 2006.....

RobertoOrtiz
12-06-2005, 07:01 AM
Keep an eye on this thread for a sneak peek of upcoming challenges..

-R

jigu
12-06-2005, 08:02 AM
hmm...smelling something new year's special!!

rakmaya
12-07-2005, 03:32 AM
Ohhhh! yes. It would be fun. Looking forward for the new challenges :thumbsup:

RobertoOrtiz
12-11-2005, 03:14 AM
Here are some preview images of future challenges...

We have some very wild ideas for 06...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/robertoortiz/cgtalk/two2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/robertoortiz/cgtalk/three.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/robertoortiz/cgtalk/one.jpg

=R
PS One of the challenges have been in development for almost 2 years, and another one will have A HUGE scope..... Keep looking at the forum for more info.

Dutchman
12-11-2005, 11:46 AM
Soooo coool Roberto! :scream: In development for 2 years... Whooohooo! :twisted:

I guezz one of them 'has something to do with uge crowd effects' and the other one 'something with pirates?!' :scream: I gues it might have something to do with the Daily Sketch stuff where they have to make a mattepainting about the pirates? :twisted:

We'll see, in every case I really look forward to it! :)

JB
12-11-2005, 05:08 PM
A giant "N" floating in green water?

RobertoOrtiz
12-12-2005, 05:17 AM
That one with the N, if i can get the logistics ironed out, will be HUGE.

-R

RFX
12-12-2005, 05:37 AM
Ahhh, sounds fun :) , haven't joined the pass ones, but i shall join these new ones :thumbsup:

ScottageCheese
12-12-2005, 03:26 PM
The Nautalis...?

Dutchman
12-13-2005, 08:36 PM
The Nautalis...?
Whoo Scott, you're just brilliant! :scream: That would be a veeery nice theme....! Well, in fact I can't wait starting to work/think of it! ;)

But first lets wait to see what the subject really is.... :twisted:

RobertoOrtiz
12-13-2005, 09:50 PM
Question...

Would you guys be intrested in doing a challenge that uses REAL LIFE production rules?

-R

RFX
12-13-2005, 10:10 PM
Hey Roberto, yeah i myself would like a challenge with real production rules, like providing some shot footage to actually make the scene and maybe even a storyboard to tell what is needed to be done, and then have people take it from there.

JB
12-14-2005, 03:27 AM
Question...

Would you guys be intrested in doing a challenge that uses REAL LIFE production rules?

-R

That would be awsome. As long as I can't get fired :)

RockinAkin
12-14-2005, 03:36 AM
Question...

-R
Interesting... more details please. ;)

Nando3D
12-14-2005, 12:37 PM
Hey Roberto, yeah i myself would like a challenge with real production rules, like providing some shot footage to actually make the scene and maybe even a storyboard to tell what is needed to be done, and then have people take it from there.

good idea ... i liked...

RobertoOrtiz
12-14-2005, 06:24 PM
Ok imagine we are doing a Live action movie based on

Nano, the Talking Coqui Frog. It is a warm tale of a harrowing trip of a little frog back to his homeland and his fight for the freedom of his people.

Let assume I am the FX coordinator of this nightmare..

During preproduction I would do designs for characters and scenes, I would also do storyboards, and animatics. Marquette and models would be built and color palettes would be selected.

In production I would film the live action footage and FARM OUT the different FX shots
of the movie. Based on a bidding process I decide that:

Digital Domain would do about 80% of the hero shots of the lead frog Nano. (Talking frog, tons of composite work)
ILM would do the big dog chase in the street of San Juan (CG Dogs, CG Frog)
WETA would do the big ARMY BATTLE at the end of the movie where army of FROGS fight army of evil cats.(CG Cats, HUGE Crowd Simulations)
Here is the clinker...
The companies HAVE TO talk to each other and share data. I cannot have Nano looking one way in one shot and completely different in others. INTEGRATION is key.

This is something that is a HUGE pain because most companies use different pieces of software.
AND have custom made pipelines.

But as FX vendors you have to subscribe to ONE vision. In effect you are a hired gun that is hired to do a piece of a puzzle. And this piece has to fit, in terms of design and style with the work done by others.

What do you guys think...still want to try that?

-R

RockinAkin
12-14-2005, 07:32 PM
That sounds pretty bad-ass Roberto.
Would require some hardcore teamwork.

We should split the teams up by software just to make it harder:
1 max team, 1 maya team, 1 softimage team :twisted:
Then maybe have a separate team for compositing.

JB
12-14-2005, 08:45 PM
Sounds great Roberto. Very challenging.

RobertoOrtiz
12-14-2005, 10:32 PM
Sounds great Roberto. Very challenging.
My concern is that people would drop like flies with a challenge like this.

It would be REALLY hard.

-R

RFX
12-15-2005, 01:10 AM
Hey Roberto, sounds like a fun plan, i'd definetly participate in any way i can, btw, you actually gonna shoot some stuff at good old San Juan? :P

RobertoOrtiz
12-15-2005, 04:28 AM
Hey Roberto, sounds like a fun plan, i'd definetly participate in any way i can, btw, you actually gonna shoot some stuff at good old San Juan? :P

No no, the frog idea is just an example
:)

-R

Nando3D
12-15-2005, 09:22 AM
Hi Roberto

I think it would be diffucult to completed..... as you said workflows and integration.
Remember we only have few hours a day to spend in this challange.
The best option, i think, Would be if you supply the footage and storyboard and the teams do the style they want or what they can do and the best final shot wins.

What you think ??

Nando

RobertoOrtiz
12-15-2005, 02:12 PM
Hi Roberto

I think it would be diffucult to completed..... as you said workflows and integration.
Remember we only have few hours a day to spend in this challange.
The best option, i think, Would be if you supply the footage and storyboard and the teams do the style they want or what they can do and the best final shot wins.

What you think ??

Nando

That is nota bad idea,

Any other ideas?

-R

RFX
12-15-2005, 06:16 PM
That is nota bad idea,

Any other ideas?

-R

I agree with his idea, that's what is mainly my problem right now, no acces to a video camera, and no storyboards, so i can't work on shots, but if we where given the things, we could go on to focus more on the effect, like on most companies, but it would indeed be something interesting, and give more chance to people that can't go film footage, or are not very good at writing to create a shot.

RobertoOrtiz
12-15-2005, 06:53 PM
Ratman thanks for your input.

The project I ahve in ming is 100% cg, thus no camera.

I was thinking of doing separate contests for the desings, storyboards, modelling, rigging & animatics....Something that seems a bit daunting.

-R

rakmaya
12-15-2005, 08:21 PM
I think it is a fantastic idea. But it would require a lot of time and effort in communication than actual production. If so it would better to concentrate on one. If the "Set" (of teams) has to create(live/cg) and composite, then it would be too much. If we get some of footage it would ease up a little.

Like someone suggested, the set should be divided into teams with specefic task which requires integration. Instead of dividing it into software, we can divide it into shots, each requiring various production task. Just a suggestion :)

RobertoOrtiz
12-15-2005, 08:57 PM
Like someone suggested, the set should be divided into teams with specefic task which requires integration. Instead of dividing it into software, we can divide it into shots, each requiring various production task. Just a suggestion :)
Usually productions divide tasks by shots, that way it makes the whole thing more easy to manage.

And since I know how REALLY HARD this is, I want to make it into a 100% cg project.

The question is, how should assets be shared?

JB
12-16-2005, 02:30 AM
And since I know how REALLY HARD this is, I want to make it into a 100% cg project.

Would this be limited to the "Big four", Maya, Softimage, Max, Lightwave?

I don't own any of those.

mdillender
12-16-2005, 12:22 PM
I think entrants would drop like flies as you indicated. Quite a few entrants don't make it throught the "simpler" projects.

I suggest you think about something that engages the most people, while still being challenging.

My 2 cents.

Martin

RobertoOrtiz
12-16-2005, 05:09 PM
I think entrants would drop like flies as you indicated. Quite a few entrants don't make it throught the "simpler" projects.

I suggest you think about something that engages the most people, while still being challenging.

My 2 cents.

Martin

As I said it is just an idea...
But stillm, your comments are welcome.

anyone else?

-R

tharrell
12-17-2005, 09:48 PM
I absolutely love the idea, personally.

The whole logistics thing *would* be rough -- particularly when you're talking teams having to have specific versions of specific programs to facilitate working together -- I boggle a little at thinking of the poor layout artists on this one.

I assume that you'd pull the fine folks in from the concept art forum to do storyboards so no one gets too overwhelmed by straying too far out of their comfort zone?

--T

RobertoOrtiz
12-20-2005, 03:34 AM
what the hell....

This is the beginning of stage one.
THE FXWARS SHORT.... PREPRODUCTION ART...RESEARCH THREAD (post here your findings!) (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=303442)

(link)

-R

RobertoOrtiz
01-04-2006, 04:34 AM
Here are some preview images of future challenges...

We have some very wild ideas for 06...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/robertoortiz/cgtalk/two2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/robertoortiz/cgtalk/three.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v308/robertoortiz/cgtalk/one.jpg

=R
PS One of the challenges have been in development for almost 2 years, and another one will have A HUGE scope..... Keep looking at the forum for more info.

Ok here are some more sneak peaks of future challenges:
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/robertoortiz1/cgtalk/fire.jpg

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/robertoortiz1/cgtalk/old.jpg

-R

Dutchman
01-08-2006, 06:34 PM
It gets more and more and more interesting every update! :bounce:

I think that I should combine the fire with the pirates. That would result in a pirates battle...?! :buttrock:

And about 'the other images': a big crowd scene (& set extensions?) in a city of an age ago? If I connect that 'N' with that, I could imagine that the N comes of New York? :D

Its still a bit 'vague', but I get more exited every time! In every case I've been asking some people for 'an upcoming pirates project', so just lets hope one of them will have something to do with pirates?! :applause:

Greetz & Roberto: thanks for all the cool hints ;)
-Gijs

RobertoOrtiz
01-11-2006, 06:15 AM
Actually they all are different challenges, BUT indeed some challenges will build up into others.

More details soon.

-R

RobertoOrtiz
01-16-2006, 04:59 PM
As promised:

More challenges:
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/robertoortiz1/cgtalk/canon.jpg
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b216/robertoortiz1/cgtalk/mar.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
01-16-2006, 04:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.