PDA

View Full Version : Sketch and Toon on displaced geometry

marcorabellini
12-06-2005, 02:57 AM
Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone has figured out if it's possible to use S&T on displaced geometry. The shading gets displaced but the lines stay true to the pre-displaced geometry. I've scoured the manuals but there's no mention of whether it is or is not possible. I've also clicked on and off almost every check box I could find that looked like it might affect the line drawing but no luck.

I've attached an example. This is a cylinder that has a material with displacement. I got the same result with or without a sketch tag.

Any help on this is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

wuensch
12-06-2005, 07:39 AM
Sketch does not work with SPD but it works with normal Displacement.
Solution:
put object in Hypernurb and let normal Displacement affect the Subdivided result, shoul give a similar result dependingon the Algorithm chosen in the Hypernurb Attributes--

Olli

LucentDreams
12-06-2005, 08:08 AM
Sketch does not work with SPD but it works with normal Displacement.
Solution:
put object in Hypernurb and let normal Displacement affect the Subdivided result, shoul give a similar result dependingon the Algorithm chosen in the Hypernurb Attributes--

Olli

yeah unfortunately it came out first and has still not had an update so this is purley a limitation for now. Its mostly because the SPD is generated at rendertime which means its not passing its information onto the SKetch renderer.

marcorabellini
12-06-2005, 06:19 PM
Thanks, I'll give this a try. (I know, "there is no try..." ;))

By "normal" displacement I'm guessing you mean a normal map? One of the frustrating things in the C4D manuals is they still use the word "normal" to mean "default" or "standard" or "regular" in addition to meaning polygon normals, hence my confusion.

m

LucentDreams
12-06-2005, 06:31 PM
standard displacement, since normal maps are jsut a normal offset technology that doesnt' actually "displace" anything.

marcorabellini
12-06-2005, 08:29 PM
Thank you all for the help. Using a HN works just fine. I have a rather complex model that's extensively displaced. I'm re-doing something for a client and they really want it to look like a pencil sketch. I had visions of sleepless nights polygonning the whole thing to meake it work in sketch.

Whew.

m

CGTalk Moderation
12-06-2005, 08:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.