PDA

View Full Version : Game character critique

marley6611
12-06-2005, 01:45 AM
hey could i get some critiques on my game character? this is my first time posting some of my work here : ) some background on it:

2300 polys, was given 200-2500 as my poly range for the game.
51 joints, including finger controls (although i set up 2 joint chains and a thumb, one controls the pointer and the other controls the other 3) and a jaw control, and IK spline chains for the front and back of his half-coat thingy. Weighted to 3 influences max. The side is kidn of messy looking because it's going to be a sort of cloth wrap that goes from his waist up under his arm to his shoulder. The left shoulder has a metal plate on it, and the chest and right shoulder are sort of a stiff trenchcoat sort of dealie. the shoulder is supposed to be pointy : ) The game engine will be running a cel shader and can't have any backfaces showing so the coat is double thick and the hair is geometry pulled down in front of the face. The whole model is closed to keep backfaces from showing. He's a sword wielding character for a hacknslash game like castlevania or devil may cry, so i felt justified in making 2 extra joints for each arm to make the arm twist correctly.

let me know what you think or of you disagree with anything i did or said, or have any suggestions for something i could fix or do better in the future : )
for a self critique,
I kind of wish i had added another 20 polys or so for elbow deformation : /
also i think i could have saved a few polys here and there, point out any place you see that you think i could have saved some or could use more : )

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b50/marley6611/gamecharposes.jpg

Brain Trepaning
12-06-2005, 05:04 PM
Looking good!

A wish and a dollar will buy you a chocolate bar, but they won't add the polys you said your model needs. Add them, then post again!

jfalconer
12-06-2005, 10:58 PM
Keep em comin. I assume there are some texture requirements, and lets see some close ups on the face.

marcial84
12-07-2005, 07:34 AM
sorry marcial84 one of the computers in lab here has cookies leaving you logged in as anyone who visits the page... just posted for you by accident

marley6611
12-07-2005, 07:44 AM
i wish i could add those polys in hind thought, but the cool thing about the mesh and the game it's going into is that it blendshapes into the other main character in a transformation in-game. made it out of the same mesh and pulled lattices and verts heh. I'll post the other character and some blendshape transformations in a couple days when it's done. The texture is 512x512 max, im painting it right now : )

CGTalk Moderation
12-07-2005, 07:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.