PDA

View Full Version : Portrait of a girl / light study, WIP

aparadja
12-06-2005, 02:09 AM
Last weekend, I decided to become the next Grand Master of All Things Painting after browsing through too many art books at a local book store. The road to Neo-Rembrandtism seems to be surprisingly difficult, but here is my first attempt at (digital) painting.

I'd greatly appreciate any critique and comments, especially on the lighting. (The hair is not yet finished, it's more like a placeholder for now.)

http://users.tkk.fi/%7Ejjsalon2/kuvat/portrait2.jpg

Euphrosyne
12-06-2005, 08:00 AM
The nose and mouth look pretty good, you need to look at some reference to get the eyes right. They look flat right now. There's potential here keep working on it.

Mu
12-06-2005, 08:35 AM
I decided to become the next Grand Master of All Things Painting

hell, yea I like it when people set themselves megalomaniac goals!

Go, aparadja, Go!

EDIT: take a look at this tutorial (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=267088)for posting images inline

As for critique:

- are your sure the haircut does not serve the main purpose of hiding places you are uncomfortable with? If so, I'd say do away with it and find out what your chracter really looks like.

- Otherwise, mind that the eyes are really spherical in shape.
- The part I like best as concerns shape and tone is the chin
- Unless she is wearing a sixties hairpiece on top of her hair the skull is way to conehead-like. I strongly suggest you remodel that...

A completely different thing: where does your light come from? If, like the background implies (which, btw, is another thing I do really like about this WIP) the light is somewhere behind the face in the upper left corner, you should reconsider the light values in the face.

aparadja
12-06-2005, 12:10 PM
Thanks for the comments, both Euphrosyne and Mr. Mu!

- are your sure the haircut does not serve the main purpose of hiding places you are uncomfortable with? If so, I'd say do away with it and find out what your chracter really looks like.
Actually, this was also an excercise in not trying to hide anything, and forcing myself to paint whatever I need to. And if it makes you feel happy, she has a fully painted bald head with an ear, underneath the hair layer :). But the hair now might look too invasive, I'll try to make it look more like a part of the picture, and not a curtain covering awkward painting.

- Otherwise, mind that the eyes are really spherical in shape.
- The part I like best as concerns shape and tone is the chin
- Unless she is wearing a sixties hairpiece on top of her hair the skull is way to conehead-like. I strongly suggest you remodel that...

Thanks Euphrosyne for the eye comment too! Yep, now that I look at the eyes and compare them to the work of others, they really seem more and more like flat glue-on paper eyes. And thanks for pointing out the hair, I hadn't even noticed, but now can't notice anything else :)!

A completely different thing: where does your light come from? If, like the background implies (which, btw, is another thing I do really like about this WIP) the light is somewhere behind the face in the upper left corner, you should reconsider the light values in the face.
This is a thing that puzzled me a lot. The actual light on the portrait comes from top left, and that light's source doesn't show on the picture. The background has a lighter part, and I can't really decide whether it looks like the primary light source in a wrong place, or just a lighter spot (or a secondary, back light source) in the background. If it looks wrong, I guess it should be fixed.

CGTalk Moderation
12-06-2005, 12:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.