PDA

View Full Version : Xbox vs Xbox 360 graphical comparisons.

laureato di arte
12-06-2005, 01:18 AM
hey this is an interesting read...

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3145953&did=1

http://www.1up.com/media?id=2533597&type=lg

http://www.1up.com/media?id=2535510&type=lg

Per-Anders
12-06-2005, 01:44 AM
ouch!

a little bit unfair as they did pick some choice shots there, the best shots from the xbox versus the worst shots on the xbox 360. and well they've been developed at the same time so that's probably held back fully unleashing the full power of the system on these titles.

all the same there were a couple there where i was wondering why they hadn't added a "looks better on the older system" option lol.

i'm sure with the next batch of releases we'll really start to see a signifigant difference between the platforms.

Icarus
12-06-2005, 01:53 AM
gotta love it when games are rushed...

but in all fairness, you have to wait a good 6months in my opinion to see a title which will push the machine to its upper limits, they've had (usually) longer times to work on the title, find out how it ticks etc, i do think its a bit unfair for a machine to be copping so much crap over titles (the hw issues i fully support dumping the pos - ie, crashing) just beacuse they we're debut games... you get simular things on other platforms

PhilOsirus
12-06-2005, 02:58 AM
The whole idea of releasing titles made for current gen consoles (and more specifically for the PS2 to begin with) on next gen consoles is a first and ridiculous IMO. How many times have I heard people (not on the internet mind you) say it looks like Xbox games because of this? This was just to beef up a poor lunch line-up for a console that should have been released a year later, so don't expect anything mind blowing until next fall at the earliest (with a few exceptions of course).

simps
12-06-2005, 02:21 PM
Uh...they're comparing Call of Duty 2 on PC to xbox360. IMO thats a pretty stupid comparison. The fact that it can stand up graphically to the PC version is a testament for the XBox 360. Stupid article that has negative intentions from the beginning.

Ondrayce
12-06-2005, 11:54 PM
Actually they liked Call of Duty.

So, how is it improved on 360?
An entirely new engine, written specifically for the 360 hardware, has the game looking and sounding better than it does even on a high-end PC. The smoke effects, for example, look even more incredible on 360.

Not so negative. Though they do have more red icons available in their legend than they have green. Hmm...

KolbyJukes
12-07-2005, 12:00 AM
EDIT: eh, read the header. makes more sense now

-K.

Pink Violet
12-07-2005, 12:13 AM
The company hype which accompanies the pages are a nice touch. Right down to the picture they used.:scream:

richcz3
12-07-2005, 01:21 AM
I am not a Console player anymore and haven't been for years. But the general rule for new titles released for new consoles is that the games aren't going to be up to graphics par with the potential of the systems.
Give it a year for the developers to work everything out and then make some comparisons.

Lorecanth
12-07-2005, 01:41 AM
the customers are finally putting a value on artist ability, versus, programming. Didn't matter much if everything was low poly and textures...heck that was its own art. But the reality is photogramattically projected textures are just not going to cut it anymore.

Hazdaz
12-07-2005, 02:47 AM
Did they play any VIDEOS of the 2 consoles?? I mean hell, it is one thing to have a nice looking still image, and another to have a nice looking image and animating it along with 50 other objects and still keeping a solid framerate.

I would be willing to bet that the smoother/better/more animation in the XB360 would really distinguish it from the XB1.

JeroenDStout
12-07-2005, 03:18 AM
the customers are finally putting a value on artist ability, versus, programming. Didn't matter much if everything was low poly and textures...heck that was its own art. But the reality is photogramattically projected textures are just not going to cut it anymore.
It's not really accurate to say 'customers' - many of them still want just a hyped up game. Often it's the 'better magazines' which are against hyping up graphicallity. As shown with games like Darwinia, Psychonauts and the lovely Beyond Good & Evil, originality and quality still doesn't sell that much.

MrPositive
12-09-2005, 03:18 AM
Well I happened to be in Best Buy the other day and they had Madden 06 playing on the Xbox 360 (small plasma screen I think) and let's just say I couldn't breathe. The graphics are so sharp and crisp it's just remarkable. It's better than even my computer can do. I'm neither pro xbox or sony but the 360 has definitely set a high bar on resolution. Of course, with the quality of games, the jury is still out. By the way these stills do it no justice, you have to see it in action. I flipped out mostly, because I expected much less.

CGTalk Moderation
12-09-2005, 03:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.