PDA

View Full Version : Aperture review on Ars Technica

beaker
12-06-2005, 12:04 AM
Aperture just started shipping a couple weeks ago. Here is pretty extensive review of it.

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/apps/aperture.ars

harlan_hill
12-06-2005, 12:36 AM
Thanks for the link.

It's kind of a shitty review to be honest. I'm not saying that in 'fanboy fashion' as the review is pretty harsh on Aperture; I'm saying that because the reviewer goes a little overboard in his comments and seems a little biased. For example, he says:

"It is also disappointing to see form beat out function here, but hopefully this will be Apple's software equivalent of the G4 Cube."

So.. he hopes that the product fails??? Wouldn't it make more sense to hope that Apple fixes the problems in the next version rather than hoping the product fails? There are a ton of products out there that I dislike, but I don't hope any of them fail or die off; I hope instead that they become better products.

Take Cinema4D for example; it drives me up a friggin wall when I try to use it. It's a product that I just can't quite wrap my head around, and I get so frustrated with some of the ass-backward methodologies behind it. But everytime they make a new version, I download the demo and give it a shot. With each revision, I hope they've overcome the problems that I have with the application and I'll test it out to see if its a tool that I'd welcome in my toolbox.

Yes, Aperture does have a fair share of problems, and that review covers them and then some. However he approaches those problems as though they're unfixable dealbreakers, which they aren't. I really have high hopes for Aperture, and while I'm pissed about some of the bugs/flaws in it; I don't hope it dies off, I hope they fix them and make it a good application.

***Edit - Repaired my shitty grammar***

rocarpen
12-06-2005, 01:43 AM
Over at Slashdot, the discussion of the review included comments from a lot of pro photographers who sung Aperature's praises, and disagreed with Ars' negative take. Just an interesting counter point.

My opinion, as a non-photographer? It's a 1.0 release. Apple's track record for software is pretty stellar these days. Give it some time (Aperature 1.5, 2.0, etc) and you'll see an amazing tool blossom out of an extremely promising initial release.

beaker
12-06-2005, 01:46 AM
It's kind of a shitty review to be honest. I'm not saying that in 'fanboy fashion' as the review is pretty harsh on Aperture; I'm saying that because the reviewer goes a little overboard in his comments and seems a little biased.Yea, his review is harsh, but it is reality. He has many valid points about the issues with bad quality coming out of the raw convertor and other filters compared to Photoshop.

L.Rawlins
12-06-2005, 01:54 AM
Competition can only be a good thing for either app.

Beamtracer
12-06-2005, 04:16 AM
Interesting review.

One of the main features of Aperture seems to be sorting and adding meta data to images (adding keywords and info that you can search for later).

It seems such a simple thing to add keywords and metadata to your images. But I can never figure out how to do it in Photoshop, without having to resample the image, which will cause image degradation and/or unnecessary increases in file size.

I begin to wonder whether it is possible to non-destructively add metadata in Photoshop. Please tell me if you know how (eg. add keywords to a JPEG image, keeping it as a JPEG without quality loss).

Such a basic feature, considering people routinely have thousands of JPEGs in their collections that need sorting.

rocarpen
12-06-2005, 05:17 AM
Interesting review.

One of the main features of Aperture seems to be sorting and adding meta data to images (adding keywords and info that you can search for later).

It seems such a simple thing to add keywords and metadata to your images. But I can never figure out how to do it in Photoshop, without having to resample the image, which will cause image degradation and/or unnecessary increases in file size.

I begin to wonder whether it is possible to non-destructively add metadata in Photoshop. Please tell me if you know how (eg. add keywords to a JPEG image, keeping it as a JPEG without quality loss).

Such a basic feature, considering people routinely have thousands of JPEGs in their collections that need sorting.

Maybe a dumb suggestion (I don't work at all with metadata), but what about the Browser (aka: Bridge) app? Doesn't it have inputs for metadata info? Not sure if it actually destructively resaves the whole JPEG, though.

eek
12-06-2005, 05:50 AM
People forgot its not meant to be a digital photgraphic editing suite, its basically a digital lightbox/contact sheet.

eek

mr3dguy
12-06-2005, 06:41 AM
Interesting review.

I might be wrong, but is that the info you can enter in when you view a files properties? In XP you can change Title, subject, keywords, comments and author on jpeg images. and you can select multiple files and change them to all be in the same subject etc.

Beamtracer
12-06-2005, 07:24 AM
In XP you can change Title, subject, keywords, comments and author on jpeg images. and you can select multiple files and change them to all be in the same subject etc.

You can add keywords and other info with Photoshop. But doesn't Photoshop recompress the image and save it again? That's the impression I have.

It seems Aperture and Photoshop will make good companions to each other. Each does things well that the other can't.

mr3dguy
12-06-2005, 07:31 AM
I'm not sure if you read what I said correctly. I am saying that you can change these file properties in windows xp, not sure if mac's OS can do it too. - Edit - These are different properties, while some of them are the same such as title etc, they are seperate. Seems a bit silly really, however most of my images are psd or lossless, so it wouldn't be a problem to have to resave them personally. On the topic though, I'm glad aperture has implemented a better system though.

frog
12-07-2005, 01:50 PM
You can add IPTC and XMP fields to any image in Bridge, it does not recompress JPEGS. Just open the metadata and/or keywords tabs. It's very quick.

CGTalk Moderation
12-07-2005, 01:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.