PDA

View Full Version : Why does she look so wierd....female head and body

RafiS
12-05-2005, 09:13 PM
Hi,

I have made a female model before but last time I didn't know anything about polygon flow and animating properly. Anyway, this time, after going through the Todd Grimes tutorials (for making a man) I made this woman using similar methods. Its done in Lightwave and I'm making it to do a small animation (with a lotta movement). Anyway, I made the head separately and the body separately - BOTH using background images....I'm not going for realistic but sorta more a cartoony look and I really like the way the head looks.

But when I put the head and the body together, for some reason it just looked really wierd to me....I thought maybe it was because they were from separate background images but I changed the size but it still looks sorta wierd - I dunno....what do you guys think.

I also now see that her shoulders look really wierd....but when I have the models separatly I really like the way they look....

So, I just want people to comment on whether the model looks wierd - and the polygon flow....and you can be as horrible as you want....I haven't done a lotta modeling, but its something I'm quite good at....so yeah....any comments on the model (the head and the body would be cool)

Thanks,

RafiS
12-05-2005, 09:18 PM
Here's another picture....

YankeesFanHB
12-05-2005, 09:24 PM
Not that this necessarily makes a difference, so feel free to ignore me, but what strikes me in your images is that the head is way more 'cartoony' than the body. They both look great, in different ways - the body has that comic-book superheroine quality (tall, thin, curvy, hot!) and the head has the big eyes/cartoony-stylized (sorry, can't find the words) look going on. They're both quite well done, but don't match. I'd save both, and make a hot-chick head for the body, and a more extreme-style body for the head.
Hope this helps, good luck, you have 2 good starts :lightbulb

RafiS
12-05-2005, 09:33 PM
Hiya....

I think I know what you mean....I really like my head and I don't want to change it - had to spend hours doing the stupid mouth, teeth and tongue so I think I'll be changing the body.

I'm actually going for the whole comic book super hero thing....so I'm glad the body looks that way - still don't know what I can do to the head to make it look more 'comic book'.

About what you were saying here, more extreme-style body, what exactly do you mean here....should I make the body bigger, smaller, a little more wierd....

Its like what you said....they look good on their own, but not together....and I still can't figure out what thing to change....

Thanks for helping, but feel free to add more comments:)

RafiS
12-05-2005, 09:33 PM
Another thing....not sure if you guys can see it from those pics but I think the hands are too small.

Baker17
12-05-2005, 10:27 PM
Rafi_
where about in new zealand you from??

i think the model is cool, but in my opinion, the head is a little too small for the over all figure, i also agree with YankeesfanHB. but maybe if you shrink the head size a little, it might seem in better proportion.

hope that helps??

RafiS
12-05-2005, 10:41 PM
Hey man,

I'm from Auckland....went to Uni at AUT where I found out about 3d....did two papers in lightwave, but now am thinking of doing a course in 3d using Maya at the Media Design school.

What about you - do you work - don't really know a lotta people in NZ who are into 3d so its always nice to see people from NZ who actually work in the industry.

RafiS
12-05-2005, 10:44 PM
Another thing....you said the head was a little too small and then I should make the head smaller, so not sure which one - head or body :)

I actually used the final body background when I put the head and the body together and the head fit....

I dunno, there's something about the head that looks wierd too....but I don't exactly know what. Maybe its a bit too flat....

And her chest....does anyone else see that....the way her chest goes into her shoulders....I was trying to make the shoulders in such a way so that she won't have pinches but now it looks wierd....

RafiS
12-06-2005, 06:49 AM
Any comments....please....I know she looks really wierd for some reason.....and I would really appreciate people having a look....maybe I've just been feeling wierd and she might look fine, but I'd really like some more comments....

*decides to shut up*

Pillboxx
12-06-2005, 08:14 AM
I know this is a cartoon styled head. But this is why I think it looks odd. As a rough guide the distance from the bottom of the chin up to the eyebrows should be about equal to the distance from the eyebrows to the top of the head. Now that it is understood you can always alter that to fit your needs.

RafiS
12-06-2005, 09:49 AM
Hey,

Thanks for suggesting that - I tried it - making the bottom of the head a little smaller but it makes it look even more wierd.

I think maybe she looks wierd cus she doesn't have any hair....cus I made it from background images.

Anyway, am still not happy with the way the two models fit together.

GReddyTalon
12-09-2005, 09:44 PM
I think that if you were to make the neck significantly thinner, it may work. If you look at it from your side view, you'll see what I mean. It looks to flow pretty nice with the curve in the spine, just try to maintain that when you scale the neck.

Goodluck.

CGTalk Moderation
12-09-2005, 09:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.