PDA

View Full Version : Softimage|XSI Experience CD

machuc
02-27-2002, 09:16 PM
Hi, well I just wanted to know if Softimage is going to let us download both CD's from the web. There-s a 4-6 weeks shipping wait, and I'd prefer to download it.

Thanks in advance.

Mike RB
02-27-2002, 10:26 PM
why dont you email softimage and ask them?

Theo Diamantis
02-28-2002, 07:03 PM
Hi,
We're evaluating a possible download for the Experience CD. Other companies that have posted their CDs for download have experienced technical issues such as slow downloads due to traffic and the web site crashing.

Our CD, which contains a lot of video and documentation besides the actual software, is very large. By mailing the CD free of charge, we want to make sure people get it hassle-free, at no cost. We'll keep you posted.

Theo Diamantis
Web Editor
Softimage.com

machuc
02-28-2002, 08:00 PM
Thanks for the reply :)

element412
03-02-2002, 10:04 AM
excuse for this a bit out of subject post. but i have a question.
the softimage xsi free experiece cd (package ) seems good .
is it really free? . like im 16 in canada at high school and do some 3d ..is it free fo me ...r they goinna really send me that? is it working on all computer?
sorry for all those questions but i cant seem to understand this ''too good to be thruth.''

machuc
03-03-2002, 01:49 AM
Hi element, yes, the Softimage|XSI Experience CD is free, they will send it to u to Canada, it-ll only take aprox. 4-6 weeks to ship. The only thing that don-t work is the save feature. Anyway, it comes with a lot of videos, examples, and u can load dotXSI scenes from anywhere, there-s no special format attached to it. That way u can download scenes from tutorials on the net (or elsewhere), and see how it all worxs! :)

for more info go to Softimage|XSI Experience CD url:

http://www.softimage.com/Products/xsi/v2/ExperienceCD/

all u need to know is there :)

ciao.

element412
03-03-2002, 09:41 AM
wow . thats so great . i doesnt know a compagnie could be so great ..( execpt the saving features ...but anyway...)

Just a question to the moderator if he somes here again... i live near montreal .( canada ) and i think there is some kind of ''headquarters'' there... so im asking myself if i couldnt just go there and pick up one.???? maybe i should call there.... anyway if someone can answer me...

CIM
03-03-2002, 10:43 AM
It's funny how many ppl. think these companies are gonna give their software away for free. Get your head out of the sand and get with it--they're not gonna give it away for free, so stop complaining because they watermark the render or don't allow you to save. If you want it that bad, get the money and buy it.

EdHarriss
03-03-2002, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by element412
Just a question to the moderator if he somes here again... i live near montreal .( canada ) and i think there is some kind of ''headquarters'' there... so im asking myself if i couldnt just go there and pick up one.???? maybe i should call there.... anyway if someone can answer me...

I don't live in Montreal, but Softimage does. (that's where the Softimage Headquarters are.) I imagine that if you called them and told them that you'd be coming by, they might be able to accommodate you. (leave a set for you in the lobby or something like that) Who, knows? It never hurts to ask. :)

Theo Diamantis
03-04-2002, 07:30 PM
Hello,
Due to a huge demand for the Experience CD, we do not encourage people to come by and pick it up from our office. Please fill out the form, and we will send it to you.
Regards,
Theo Diamantis

EdHarriss
03-04-2002, 09:55 PM
hehe, listen to Theo, not to me. :)
Sorry about that Theo, hope you didn't have crowds of people "droping by" the softimage HQ.

Theo Diamantis
03-05-2002, 12:38 AM
No worries Ed....

guyt
03-05-2002, 02:37 AM
btw ed..
when u gonna upgrade ur vids to xsi2.0
and maybe some modelling vids too
anyway i represent a few fine
artists that is upgrading themselves form
3ds and lightwave to xsi
which the amount of information and training
u can find here on xsi is very lack
not mention the problem that theres no
good book on xsi available anywhere
in the levels of other books for 3d packeges
like "inside lightwave6"
(wut i used before i discovere the wonders of softimage world)

Guy

EdHarriss
03-05-2002, 04:39 AM
I'm working on some new stuff, but at the moment I can't say much about it. You can rest assured that new stuff will be coming out eventually. (Hopefully sooner than later)

dmonk
03-05-2002, 06:10 AM
Are you o any of the tutorial cds Ed?

Nik Clark
03-06-2002, 12:52 AM
Damn. I read all the stuff on the website and filled in my details. Nowhere did it mention save-disabled.

To quote thier website. "Full XSI advanced v2.0 feature set". I'm sorry, but saving files is a feature and I find this misleading.

I thought they had done a masterstroke that would change the world, but this is just another, crippled demo. If they had made it free for limited, learning, non-commercial use, everyone would be using it a few years from now and when these kiddies get a job, they will want to use this and generate sales.

From the site, it seemed much more than that. I'm not complaining or expecting enything for free. I use another common package and was hoping this would be the thing that would allow me to expand my horizons. If it can't save, I won't keep coming back to it to use it. I will load the scenes, hit render, follow a few tutorials and little more than that. I may not even install it now when it arrives.

I love the idea of switching to softimage, but if I can't do some projects on it and realy get to know it, I won't buy it.

A question "based on mental ray v.3.0.". What does that mean? Can it even render? does it just do preview renders? I don't understand.

I must finish this by saying I'm not as negative about this as my words seem to say. I'm just disappointed. No save = not using it very often for me, I'm afraid. I realy would have preferred a time limitation like 30 days full use.

Regards,
Nik

element412
03-06-2002, 02:35 AM
thanks for the reply . ill fill the form.. and as a student .... if i fill the form with ''not purchasing'' in the buying part. are they gonna send it to me anyway?
element

meloncully
03-06-2002, 06:29 AM
well i just say that i plan to purchase in over 6 months. I mean i really do. A few years is over 6 months right?

________
meloncully

SheepFactory
03-06-2002, 06:35 AM
Nik ,

I dont know if Softimage does that but many other companies offer time trial versions of their software (with save enabled) , write a mail to a softimage reseller to check if it is avaible.

Based on mental ray 3 means , it uses mental ray to render everything. Both the preview and the final.

even save disabled , xsi experience is a great opportunity to check out some hot features in xsi 2.0

A|i

Nik Clark
03-06-2002, 01:41 PM
Sheep Factory,

You are right, it is a great opportunity. I will try it, I was just reacting to my disappointment. I still think the website is missleading, but you never get a free lunch, so I should have expected it.

Thanks for your comments.

Nik

dmonk
03-06-2002, 06:23 PM
I honestly just ordered the package just for the video tutorials. Some said there pretty basic , but it still helps when your basically trying to learn the package n your own.

raffael3d
03-06-2002, 07:08 PM
I agree that saving is an important feature. Considering the user then of course you want all the features. But considering the situation for the softare developer then it's clear that saving and rendering have to be disabled. Tha rendering is disabled I understand, but saving could be included I think.
But so far the Softimage solution is much better than Maya PLE.
I mean why do you put watermarks in all viewports? what's the point? the people get sick of it. And the idea of learning videos is great at Softimage. Once more they are far more intelligent. It's not that I say Softimage is the best etc. no, I just see very often that Softimage has really the best ideas.
But that's my opinion.

Nik Clark
03-06-2002, 08:51 PM
I'm not sure what to think now. raffael3d thinks the rendering is disabled.

So if it doesn't save or render, who is this aimed at?

I have about 10 animators here in my office. I purchase MAX for them as it's cheap and for our uses is absolutely what we need.

If I want to use a new application, I would have to justify the purchase to the big heads above me. I would never get a penny if all I could show them was a few wireframes and tutorials.

To get money for new products, we rely on 30 day demos. These prove to the powers that be that the product fits in to our structure and completes the work required of it. We then purchase a boxfull of the products and distribute them to our teams.

So if this can't render and can't save, who is it aimed at? Students would not be able to afford it, kiddies would download a pirated version anyway. There are hundreds of programs I can show a few wireframe models in which are far cheaper.

To sum it up, we've got the money, but you ain't getting it untill I can prove to my bosses that this will benefit our company. A crippled demo would not impress at all.

This also goes for the MAYA PLE with the screwed up renders and viewports. That would cause a migraine immediately, no-ones going to use it for more than a few minutes. Gmax is a joke.

MAX is a best seller now because 5-10 years ago, it was easy to *find* on the internet and people grew up with it and now use it professionaly. In short, many people had access to it, and not to a crippled demo.

Do you see what I'm gettting at?

Still nice try, I love the idea of switching to Soft, I used to love it many, many years ago.

If "Full feature set" means no renders and no saving, it's time to re-write the dictionary. I wonder if it's legally binding........

SheepFactory
03-06-2002, 08:57 PM
Rendering is not disabled in Softimage experience.

As for the video tutorials , they are invaluable for getting familiar quickly with the features of softimage. They are not in depth tutorials like gnomon online's maya tutorials , but then again that was not their intention. The tutorials give a basic overview of all the features in xsi. its like a video quick start guide.

A|i

Apoclypse
03-06-2002, 09:32 PM
Once again this is the experience cd, they never said it was a learning edition or that it let you save and such. Basically it wasaimed at potential users who want to know what they are getting into before they buy something quite expensive (overall worh it in my opinion.) If you are a student get the student version for god sakes but don't bitch about, "oh , it doesn't save. I have to revert to finding a "free" patched version." That's plain bull. Softimage doesn't have to give their software away otherwise why bother selling it. I mean what's to stop a guy with free version from going on to make a short movie that makes big bucks and saying screw softimage i made this with free version. I'd rather have a no save feature than have watermarkes all over everything like certain other app I know.

ANY ways i heard that they watermark the renders not prevent you from doing it. Maybe I'm wrong. The point is stop bitching about somthing that's free. Hell you don't even have to pay for shipping. Also if they were to take out a 30 day eval it would be cracked the very next day. it's one of the easiest cracks to make for god sakes.

EdHarriss
03-07-2002, 12:27 AM
Originally posted by dmonk
Are you o any of the tutorial cds Ed?

No Cds.
Sorry.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.