PDA

View Full Version : Object Emitting Light Test (Lightwave)

minus
11-22-2002, 07:54 PM
Just set this up quickly to try out somethings. I was actually also doing a fill test and a falloff test here too..... but I threw in an object light emission test for good measure. -- I think the fill ended up being a bit bright in the end.... but I didn't really tweak any of the scene much.

If you have some object light emissions... post em here. :)
http://www.opnotic.com/wip/lightfalll.jpg
*Edit* A new one:

http://www.opnotic.com/wip/notic9.jpg

Ian Jones
11-23-2002, 04:35 AM
Here's one I did with MAX 4.2 and Brazil 1.0

TMortan
11-28-2002, 10:12 PM
Just test also, MAX 4.2 and Brazil

Ian Jones
11-29-2002, 01:12 AM
Tmortan: Where have you go the geometry lights? are they along all the inside faces of those wires? or is it just from the circle at the base? if so, I'm geussing you turned up the GI bounces to at least 3 or more. It also looks like you may have a bit of sss, at least it gives a bit of the ambience you would expect from transluceny.

TMortan
11-29-2002, 07:37 PM
Well I donít have Brazil 1.0 itís with V0.4.53.
And its not a geometry light per say.

Used a Brazil test material, changed the luminous to red, and up the indirect NRG filters.

Works with effects like this but you really donít want to up the indirect NRG filters in most scenes.

Irie
11-29-2002, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by minus
Just set this up quickly to try out somethings. I was actually also doing a fill test and a falloff test here too..... but I threw in an object light emission test for good measure. -- I think the fill ended up being a bit bright in the end.... but I didn't really tweak any of the scene much.

If you have some object light emissions... post em here. :)
http://www.opnotic.com/wip/lightfalll.jpg

Hey minus, would you consider writing up a quick tut on how to do this for the lightwave forum? i would be interested to see how you pulled the effect nicely; looks great man

all the others look awesome too...perhaps you could share some hints too?
:thumbsup:

matt

Ian Jones
11-30-2002, 12:19 AM
TMortan: Thanks, I'll check out indirect NRG filters... I haven't meddled with them yet. I made mine by upping the luminosity to 100, setting an output map for the diffuse and luminosity and changing the RGB level to greater than 1.0 (since 1 is the default lvl) and the multiplier more than 1.0 aswell. I turned on Indirect lighting in the Luma server aswell of course. So it isn't true geometry lighting either, but I believe this is not actually possible with Brazil yet. Next version I think it should be coming out. We want Geometry lighting damnit!

Per-Anders
11-30-2002, 04:30 AM
here's a fun little one in c4d

Per-Anders
11-30-2002, 04:47 AM
and here's the same thing with no other lights, and a slightly different luminous texture.

Per-Anders
11-30-2002, 06:54 AM
and another in c4d... an attempt at molten glass... that slightly uneven heat glow etc... the object lighting is a little more subtle in this and there's a little caustics too...

Ian Jones
11-30-2002, 07:21 AM
Thats a realy nice motlen glass you got there. Not perfect, but very good. It needs some more intensity, and some specular bloom / glow wouldn't go astray for selling the effect.

Per-Anders
11-30-2002, 07:39 AM
thanks, yeah you're right... trouble is i'm just working on a simple dual g4867 and render times when working with radiosity can be quite slow with transparent materials (this particular material rellies heavily on lighting and radiosity to work)... and there's no G2 for C4D as yet :( wish there was... then i'd be steaming :) anyhow. it's just fun to play around i guess. i should have put some specular bloom and general glow on there though you're right. parts of the c4d engine are based on the Final Render engine for Max so it's pretty special, and certainly very fast comparatively... but still not fast enough for little impatient me :)

Per-Anders
11-30-2002, 07:43 AM
here's some fun with increasing radiosity strength to keep the tubes colour integrity while getting nice strong illumination.

Per-Anders
11-30-2002, 07:46 AM
it's even fun when you hide the object from teh camera... ah the joys of gi and spare time :D

Per-Anders
12-01-2002, 12:18 AM
here i updated the glass blob... the artifacting is caused by me not being bothered to wait the 6 hours for it to render at 10% accuracy with lots and lots of samples... 5 or 10 minutes is more acceptable

with self caustics, but darker lighting overall (all object lighting in scenes, one spot for caustics).

Per-Anders
12-01-2002, 12:20 AM
and then this one is without self caustics but a brighter lighting situation

Irie
12-01-2002, 12:37 AM
these are some really gorgeous pictures :)

Per-Anders
12-01-2002, 02:34 AM
yeah this kinda thing, abstracts can be fun... here's another, this time glowing glass but in different colours.

MJV
12-01-2002, 02:55 AM
This was done in Cinema 4D too. It uses a standard light to drive the translucency, which then drives the radiosity from the paper.

Irie
12-01-2002, 04:27 AM
damn, i gots ta learn me some lighting techniques....

oh well.. one step at a time eh?

MJV
12-01-2002, 04:46 AM
Here's another Cinema render. This time completely image based lighting.

MJV
12-01-2002, 04:51 AM
And another view.

DeathCarrot
12-01-2002, 09:04 AM
An idea for the logo of a cinema 4d website, the pic and anim are done in c4d, they're just quick ideas, so no 5 hour renders. Anim can be found here: http://graphicheaven.homestead.com/files/c4d_warehouse_test_render.avi

Ian Jones
12-01-2002, 11:38 AM
Some more excellent exmaples. Great work guys.

Irie: It's really quite easy. Heck I have a lot to learn about modeling. I can't even produce a model anywhere near as complex as your little 'beast of burden' yet. So If I can do this lighting then you certainly can.

Here's another, nothing remarkably different than the other. Except that there is a cloned object with a glass material, caustics included. Yet I need to somehow adapt the GI sampling for refractive and reflective surfaces because they seem to have problems with lower GI sampling, that you can clearly see the diffuse enivroment of the rest of this image is not affected by.

The other problem I'm finding is that I can't get softer ranges of lighting. I can only get the light to affect nearby surfaces, and those surfaces get overexposed. Granted some of this 'exposed' look is due to an RGB multiplier that gives it the colour at the edges. The falloff is extreme, the only reason the walls an a lot of the GI is showing in this image is cos of the reflection of light from the plane. Not the actual light emmitting spikey object itself.... ah well I'm sure I'll figure something out with settings eventually. Unless anyone has any tips? I'm using Max 4.2 and Brazil 1.0.

ThirdEye
12-01-2002, 11:39 AM
Image Based Lighting for me too :thumbsup:

ThirdEye
12-01-2002, 11:40 AM
Cinema 4D rox!!! :thumbsup:

minus
12-11-2002, 08:01 PM
Reposting since the server crash:
http://www.opnotic.com/wip/notic9.jpg

GoodCleanVegan
12-31-2002, 05:48 AM
I'm using Lightwave 7.5 and I tried doing something like that, but I failed. I just wanted to use a lightbulb to light up a room...so I modelled a simple shape, turned up luminosity, turned on radiosity, but it sucked. It didn't light up the room at all. It only lit up the area close to it, but it was like really really bright.

CHRiTTeR
12-31-2002, 09:35 AM
Why use radiosity for a lightbulb??? Just use an omni light for that. Much faster (just disable the bulb from the light's shadowcasting options.

Greetz
CHRiTTeR

CHRiTTeR
12-31-2002, 09:45 AM
Wooooow, :o

CHECK GoodCleanVegan 's website!!!!
Some real crazy shit going on over there! :scream:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.