PDA

View Full Version : Prop: Cairo architecture

PhilOsirus
12-04-2005, 08:08 AM
The first in a series of props based on references from Cairo. I have a few other models made but this being my most recent one the others pale in comparasion so I'll have to rework their textures.

346 tris total. It could have been far fewer tris than this but I wanted to overlap as many UVs as possible and have proper vertex lighting since I'm putting these up into a small Unreal map I'm doing for my reel (no gameplay involved, just visual stuff).

It's using one RGBA 1024x1024 (Unreal 2 doesn't have bump, specular, or normal mapping) but I will reduce it to a 256x256 in the end, it's never seen from up close. It was a good texturing excercise tho, but I still want to find a better workflow to make texture editing quicker, I wasted a lot of time due to the way my layers were setup. All of it is painted except for star-like design and the background layer which I made by combining various photos found on the net to end up with a copper-like material (I'm not sure what the original material was from my ref but that's what it looked like).

Anyway, enough typing, let me know what you think!:)

http://www.star-reef.com/images/3D_cairo_prop01.jpg

http://www.star-reef.com/images/3D_cairo_prop01b.jpg

jussing
12-04-2005, 11:51 AM
Very nice, particularly the textures! What's that light bulb?

- Jonas

WAcky
12-04-2005, 12:07 PM
Very nice, particularly the textures! What's that light bulb?

- Jonas

a light in the unreal map editor (unrealED?)

i thought it was the half-life editor at first...the icons are really similar...

edit: forgot to comment on how good i think it is!@# hehe

i really like it dude. the first picture made me cringe(?) but the second pic made me go :o

the spec/reflection youve faked there came out really well with the lighting in the editor. well done. can we see a in-game screenie?

Cant wait to see more props with this style. should look terrific.

Good work dude, keep it up!

PhilOsirus
12-04-2005, 06:38 PM
Thanks a lot!

Yep that is a light actor from the Unreal Engine. Right now I'm still working on the lighting of the map, so I won't post an actual in-game screenshot until I work that part out. And I have loads more to model and texture (I have a lot of untextured props right now, I'll catch up during the holidays).

Here is another such prop, again based on reference images from Cairo.

Note: Sorry for the bad image compression, I have to save some bandwidth.

http://www.star-reef.com/images/3D_cairo_prop02.jpg

Mastahful
12-04-2005, 09:41 PM
Cool stuff man, looking forward to how this pans out....not sure I like the colour of the first image, but the texture is good....if you want to use bump in unreal there are a few plugins around on the net for bump and normal maps...also you can play around with spec in the Unreal material editor by creating composits from various maps, if i remember correctly...:thumbsup:

PhilOsirus
12-05-2005, 12:22 AM
Mastahful: Originally it was wood, but these kinds of "windows" come in so many different kinds in Cairo I ended up settling for this copper-like material which I noticed on one of the reference images, but it would be more appropriate for a non-instantiated prop. I might revert it back to wood and make a unique one with this color scheme. The problem is all my props are made of wood right now, I wanted to break it up.

As for the normal mapping, I have been unable to find such plug-ins that would allow me to use normal mapping for Unreal 2. I know it is possible but I don't know if such plug-ins are available commercially. Any idea where I could them?

Mastahful
12-05-2005, 12:47 PM
Ill try and dig up the plugins, I think I have them somewhere....Until then you can always try using the Thief 3 editor, its basically UnrealEd but with advanced lighting and mapping features such as support for normal maps...the only downside is that as far as I can remember it doesn't have the animation tools Unreal Ed has amongst other things...

PhilOsirus
12-05-2005, 02:48 PM
Hmm good idea about using Thief 3 editor. Maybe if I have time I will make a new map with it, I have till May to finish this but with school I don't have much time to spend on it. I could even quickly convert these props to normal mapped ones with Nvidia's toolset. So you're saying if I buy Thief 3 I basically get UnrealEd with it, with some mofidied aspects of it, or is it completely different as far as workflow is concerned? I never bought another game which had a level editor other than Unreal Tournament 2K4.

Anyway I changed the colors of the first prop. I just made a quick color change but I'll add a wood layer over it as well to get rid of the stone look. Better?

http://www.star-reef.com/images/3D_cairo_prop01c.jpg

PhilOsirus
12-11-2005, 10:18 PM
Here are some new props. I had a lot of trouble making the textures, I think I was just tired! The metal sheet is 128 tris (it's split in three horizontally for vertex lighting purposes), the tire is 329 tris (!!!) because I had to model the inside as well for the textures. Let me know what you think.

http://www.star-reef.com/images/3D_cairo_prop03.jpg

CGTalk Moderation
12-11-2005, 10:18 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.