PDA

View Full Version : The Icewaste, Neox (3D)

Neox
11-22-2002, 06:55 PM
http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/1674/icewaste_medium.jpg (http://www.cgnetworks.com/galleryimages/1674/icewaste.jpg)

http://www.3dmax.de/neu/galerie/bilddatenbank/pics/6415.jpg

Hi

after quite a while since my last post. I would like to write and show you the new picture that i along with a few other people from SEK have helped to produce.

The picture (the first piece of artwork for our new game) took roughly two weeks to do and was published along with an article about SEK in a German computer game magazine called "Computer Bild Spiele".

The picture was quite a challenge for me as i had upto then only worked on pieces without having any real kind of artwork or time limit to work to. I found it quite difficult to make cut backs and looking back i have noticed that due to the camera view a lot of the details and modeling are not visible.

My main job consisted of modeling and unwrapping.
To explain a little about the work processes. The project began with myself receiving a drawing of the scene from our concept artist Tomas Wulff.
I began to model the Rhino and as i already knew that most of its body would be covered in thick hair and therefore any detail that i were to do on the body would not be seen, i therefore concentrated my efforts on the head. Next came the saddle, back pack and small details and then the rider which was for me a great challenge as i had until then only modeled human heads and animals. I felt that i had taken far to much time working on the character but it was a good exercise for me and also as i had not modeled any feet or hands i felt very happy with the results i made (unfortunately again due to the camera angle these details are not really clearly visible)
The clothes, creases and folds i found very easy to do even when they are quite complicated to reproduce. I feel that they are not truly accurate but work well in the overall picture and that was for me of more importance.

After i had finished with modeling the rhino and character. The character then went into the hands of Thomas Langhanki who unwrapped it in preparation to be textured, and the rhino to Simon Murray. In the meantime i worked on the landscape and foreground.

A little about the finished rendered picture which then went under a little photoshop job. The picture consists of four layers: 1. ground 2.with the main rhino, saddle, flags and main character 3. The in-game animals and characters and finally the fourth background, mountains, sea and the sky etc is a matte painting from Ingolf Hetscher.Thomas Langhanki finally worked on taking out the small colour and seam problems and generally touching it up in photoshop.

To the game itself i am as of yet unable to give any real deals away. What i can say is that it is a real time strategy game, in which human and huge animals (like the one in the picture) live together in this world. For who ever is interested in this animals might like to know that the rhinos exact name is "lat. Colodonta antiquitatis"

I must mention a big thank you to the following people who without their help i would not have been able to finish on time
David Fraas who helped out with the Rigging. Gildas Gerdes who gave lots of tips and help in achieving the hair affect on the rhino. At last but not least to Simon Murray who is more or less like a genius to me. Without his help i would not be the man today and would probaly be working in mc-donalds or somewhere...

and the wire for those who don't want to believe that its 3d ;)

http://neox.gfx-scene.de/public/SEK/Rhino_Wireframe_1024.jpg

Neox
11-22-2002, 06:57 PM
uh! don't wonder about the ending of the text, simon translated the german version for me... you little bastard! :D

ok i'm going to work in mc-donalds now...

:bounce:

stephen2002
11-22-2002, 07:13 PM
wow, quite impressive. I would not have belived that it was 3D. Most of it is painted anyway...correct?

Nicely done.

Neox
11-22-2002, 07:21 PM
only the background (mountains and stuff)
and some photoshop touchups are 2d, the rest is 3d
yes the snow particles too ;)

MadeInUterus
11-22-2002, 08:05 PM
very nice! outsanding render! maybe a tutorial ?:scream:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hexodam
11-22-2002, 08:11 PM
:bounce: amazing:bounce:

still have a hard time beliving its not a wacom job

Totitch
11-22-2002, 08:13 PM
Very nice work neox!

You already know what i think! :thumbsup:
(i just think the beast in the Background could have been done in 2D...Very little...No details) But it's really nice!

killer1.0
11-22-2002, 08:54 PM
:eek: :buttrock:
woooooooooooooow!!!!! great work!!!!!!!!!!!

aDiaNDi
11-22-2002, 09:26 PM
neox you know my opinion about it.... Thats just really cool :)

fellah
11-22-2002, 09:41 PM
wohooo, superb work neox! really! congrats :beer:

percydaman
11-22-2002, 09:52 PM
good stuff...i guess if i had to crit anything is that the fur should be matted and covered in places with snow. other than that, what can I say...good stuff

fr3drik
11-22-2002, 11:34 PM
Wow! I would never have thought that was 3D! Really nice work. :thumbsup: It would be cool to see some kind of animation of the scene :)

swag
11-23-2002, 01:18 AM
very nice work - u go for a animation? (Trailer for the game)
i think u have problems with the hair (iam right) it looks like u have work on it in PS
please do not go for a WC3 clone :)
and ure too late for the beast of burden challenge :)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Bokkie
11-23-2002, 09:24 AM
:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

Jed
11-23-2002, 09:36 AM
Beautiful,

I might add that I like the wire picture as much as the textured one.

Neox
11-23-2002, 01:01 PM
@made in uterus: tutorial? don't think so, maybe a making of or something like that but no tutorial :p

@swag: i think its not going to be a wc3 clone :9

@fr3drik: animation... hmmmm maybe, can't say anything about that ;)

@all the others thank you!

Elliotjnewman
11-23-2002, 03:16 PM
This is soo good. I really like the stylised look, I thought it was 2d. This is what I would like to see more of, people using 3d to assist the look of, an otherwise, 2d artwork. Very original. Well done!

KingMob
11-23-2002, 05:40 PM
i really really really dig this...Aa wooly rhino, sweet! why should elephant have all the fun?

two thumbs up my friend. My only complaint would be the ice and grass could look a bit better.

Is the hair 3d or photoshop (please excuse if this question has been asked already)

Neox
11-23-2002, 05:45 PM
its 3d... took the main time on rendering ;)

aYs
11-23-2002, 05:59 PM
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

i haven't read the text but the image is so great

i found my new wallpaper

keep it up!

Neox
11-23-2002, 06:31 PM
you can read it in german on 3dmax.de, gfx-scene.de or 3dmaxforum.net

maybe this is a possibility for you ;)

aYs
11-23-2002, 06:58 PM
of course i can read it but it was so long ;)

great job

Neox
11-23-2002, 08:30 PM
hehe you lazy fool ;)

Nicool
11-23-2002, 09:38 PM
Ho, I'm looking forward to see it animated!! It "dreamful"

Congratulations

facial
11-24-2002, 07:09 AM
Yes, You will amke a tutorial, right? :applause:

Neox
11-24-2002, 02:44 PM
read the first sentence of this page :p

but maybe you are doin a tutorial on how you did this cinese watercolor style :D

Neox
11-28-2002, 08:13 AM
Nothing new? :(

Oh come on guys and girl I want some crits :)

wanzai
11-28-2002, 09:52 AM
You want some crits? You can have some ;)

Just kidding, I find the picture pretty well done. Nice composition, matte painting and sweet rhinos :). Only thing I'd address would be the rider who kinda looks strangely unnatural. But for a first time complete character I guess it's OK. (But I seem to remember you doing some cowboy guy?)

In case you gonna ask, I'm TAFKAGS - The Artist Formerly Known As Gelber Sack. :surprised
I changed my nickname since only very few people would get the joke of it. This one at least reflects my origin...

btw... it's "Chinese", you ignorant fool! ;)

Neox
11-28-2002, 10:03 AM
Yu-Chung!! How are you man? Haven't heard from you since... week ehm month ehmmm ;)
I currently don't have ICQ :annoyed:

Well the cowboy... a head not more then a head, no character ;)
hmmm the guy is unnatural? Why? tell me :D

wanzai
11-28-2002, 10:36 AM
Steffen! How ya doin' man?

Well maybe "unnatural" is the wrong word (my English isn't too good either...). I find the rider looks a bit "blocky". Maybe the silhouette could be a bit more defined/ varied.

Nevertheless, the complete work is very nice. I'd also like to have some more time for such works. Would be some fresh change from the daily work.

Keep on... creating! :)

pabbloz
11-28-2002, 02:06 PM
wow!

Great start Neox! :D
I think is a good poly-sketch! :D

No,... really... I've been fortunately to see this image some time ago and now I remember how magnify it is.
In each work you do... you impressed myself with so many polys!
it's incredible! it's really hard work with so big scenes!
Excelent coordination!

And the final composition is awesome!
Just I would like see one render more 3D... although the difficult is do the 2D appeareance,.. I would like see a version not so "plane". And maybe with some darkness and sky-light colors... like a nebulosa. ;)
I know this is a heavy asking, but,... I just wanted suggest you :thumbsup:

Anyway... a really masterpiece for your portfolio!
I hope you get succes with that work!

See you!

RazzMataz
11-28-2002, 05:10 PM
Hey there, beautifull work, man.
The main rider does look somewhat wrong, as has been mentioned, and in my opinion, it is his pose, which is somewhat
stiff and forced. I would rotate the torso slightly, so that it does not face the camera flat, same thing for the head, he should not, in my opinion, be looking directly at the camera.

Other than that I think this rocks, please keep it up and post more!:thumbsup:

Cheers.

ki oku
11-28-2002, 09:22 PM
:rolleyes:

das zweite wollnashhorn ist extrem ungeschickt plaziert imo .. ;)

gruss kioku

Neox
11-29-2002, 07:37 AM
in english:

"the second woolyrhino is placed a extremly stupidly, in my opinion ;)"

@Kioku: why? its an caravan, the are walking in a group, and i guess they don't have to be all looking in the same direction... argh my english sucks ;)

lmc
11-29-2002, 08:51 AM
Really good lal....the pic u show is after composite or retouch!?,,,,,,:thumbsup: :applause: :beer:

gaggle
11-29-2002, 09:27 AM
Very very nice and painterly. The whole thing looks so painted that I have a hard time convincing myself that it's (mostly) not.

I'm not entirely filled with happiness with the 2d ground I think. The details gets kinda wishywashy in.. well everywhere but the front rhino really. The 2d and 3d merges completly seamlessly, it's just.. well, nice mountains in the far background, but at least the middle-part of the image, depth wise, seems.. washed out-ish.

But mad cool stuff for sure. I would've expected this to've hit the frontpage already :)

ki oku
11-29-2002, 12:09 PM
neox "its an caravan" n only if the next word starts with a vocal (or so) ex. a,e,i,o an apple ;)

i know is a caravan but in my opinion it would be better not to put one rhino behind another...

Neox
11-29-2002, 12:15 PM
ooops! ok a argh, as i said before my english sucks ;)

its 10-20 meters behind the one in the front... what do i have to do, in your opinion?:surprised

Supernova
11-29-2002, 12:26 PM
Maby put a man or two in between.

ki oku
11-29-2002, 02:34 PM
yes a bit more space would be nice :)

neox my english sucks too, i always have some problems to say what i want :surprised

Neox
11-29-2002, 02:51 PM
Thats EXACTLY my problem :D

Xaint
01-08-2003, 02:02 AM
My opinion is:
The pic could be better if it had done with oil on canvas and scanned, or done in painter.
This would give uniformity and artistic beauty to the image, rather than a computer generated patchwork feeling. It would take less time. And much less manpower.
The only reason I can think of, is to do it in 3D if it will be animated.

cocoalatte
01-08-2003, 02:17 AM
what software did you use. the image is very well done. :applause:

ribok7
01-08-2003, 02:31 AM
this is some very nice work :beer: and I like the subject matter as well but I have one stupid question on how you did that wire render *runs*

once again excellent work:bounce:

karabo
01-08-2003, 05:15 AM
I love the image but it just seems that the rider on the rhino would not be wearing a short sleeved shirt. It's snowing and the rhinos are hairy implying that it's very cold, where is the rider's coat?

Neox
01-08-2003, 07:48 AM
@Xaint: Animations are planned, so its good that we still have the models, the hair is not animatable (yet), but it will be if we need it to

@cocoalatte: see my sig :D

@ribok: thanks / remove every Meshsmooth from your objects, duplicate 'em put a wire-material on 'em, and se whats happening ;) btw you maybe need to push the models a little bit

@karabo: thanks again :)
they don't need more clothing, they are as cool as ice :D
but don't get 'em in an area over 20C ;)

jfalconer
01-10-2003, 01:26 AM
whoa... not only is it executed marvelously, but the design aesthetic is spot on for the rhino. I mean, I really dig that design! Its so original to see a rhino like this, in a woolly mammoth style... excellent... :applause:

unrealwarfare
02-04-2003, 05:30 PM
great atmosphere! da bomb!

Neox
02-04-2003, 08:02 PM
how yan you see it, our server is down? :eek:

here's a version from another server...

picture (http://www.3dmax.de/neu/galerie/bilddatenbank/pics/6415.jpg)

smellovision
03-13-2003, 03:46 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHH my new precious..

Coop

Risibility
03-13-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by ki oku
neox "its an caravan" n only if the next word starts with a vocal (or so) ex. a,e,i,o an apple ;)

i know is a caravan but in my opinion it would be better not to put one rhino behind another...

vocal = vowel , is = it's :wip:

it looks cool but you should atleast make it look 3d cause when you don't even know it's 3d, its alot less impressive. nice work otherwise

Neox
03-13-2003, 05:45 PM
it was not my task to let it look like 3d ;)

digital_demon
03-13-2003, 05:48 PM
really nice work
i love the style
keep it up:applause:

loocas
03-13-2003, 06:02 PM
Mmmmm!!! really sweet! :thumbsup:

poe
03-13-2003, 06:35 PM
i remember that picture from quite a while ago now...not alot has changed since and i loved it the fist time round :D

frameless
03-13-2003, 06:47 PM
Neox ...this is simply amazing. Really great work. And as your signature says...KEEP ON MAXING!!!!.;)

igotit
03-13-2003, 07:00 PM
now this is way cool stuff, keep it going on :thumbsup:

Neox
03-13-2003, 07:11 PM
@poe nothing changed its the same thread with the same image someone dug it out :D

orange_3D
03-23-2003, 11:34 PM
hi,

nice image, but i've got some comments that i think will improve it, maybe...

my first impression was that it looked impressive but something seemed odd with the image...

1. It is Icy cold with strong winds, but the ground is covered with very green grass...i suppose it is possible to have green grass and snow at the same time, but maybe if you shift the hue of the grass away from the yellow and more towards the blue to make the scene feel colder?

2. Those men are really strong...very cold winds but they are wearing short sleeved clothing, and no fur...justifiable if the winds were sudden, but then it would be nice to pose them as if they were cold (ie. keeps their arms close to their bodies, not so open like the guy on the first rhino)

3. The problem with the second rhino is that he looks like he could be part of the first...one way to split them up is to add some more of your icy wind between the 2 rhinos, and possibly make the second rhino lighter in color and less saturated...

not really sure if my suggestions will work, but they are the ones that come to mind...

great job on the fur! i love it...and the ropes around the horn are exquisite...:thumbsup:

cheers

p.s. loved the texture on Wogi's face!

Matt
03-24-2003, 12:47 AM
Incredible.

runna
03-24-2003, 05:06 AM
Very impressive stuff!! How long did it take to model? and texture?

:beer:
Andrew

dark_lotus
03-24-2003, 06:18 AM
Beautiful, I love that psudo paint feel you have achieved.

Aeroplane
03-24-2003, 07:10 AM
:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

erik2003
03-25-2003, 07:10 AM
Neox you absolutely rule!

Neox
03-25-2003, 09:02 AM
thank you guys...
these kind words... :love:
yeah the design changed a bit, now they have more clothing, the thing that the guys on those artworks have to look like our ingame characters of that tribe, and they are not only living in these cold areas, so we had to find a middle between cold and totally heat places :)

phew modelling and texturing was not that long, not more then a week, but the fur was just horrible to do ;)

mage111
03-25-2003, 09:06 AM
lol, i can hardly beleive the outcome is not a 2d image, its wonderful, trully beautiful man, keep up get great work!

/me goes to use the image as his background

lildragon
03-25-2003, 10:49 AM
Holy how the heck did I miss this one? :eek: I know it's old but damn nice job man :thumbsup: [plugged]

salud

lildragon
03-25-2003, 11:04 AM
I'm still in awe that I missed this man, I really dig the final result. Absolutely incredible. COngrats to those involved!

You have received the CGtalk choice award .Please feel free to display this image anywhere you like! Incredible work.

upon receiving this award, it guarantees you a spot in the cgtalk gallery hall of fame (http://gallery.cgtalk.com) - which you are now placed

http://www.cgtalk.com/plug_award/cgtalk_award_mar03.jpg

P.S. Please email me @ tito@cgnetworks.com for the award .psd file

salud

LoneLobo
03-25-2003, 11:27 AM
i hate you neoxlein :D

g3n
03-25-2003, 11:44 AM
hmm not image is new? i think i saw it in some challenge or something quite som while ago? nice thoug :applause:

Neox
03-25-2003, 11:57 AM
HOLY F***ING! WHAT THE HELL????
After months..... AAAAHHH Thank you Tito! :eek:

Egyt
03-25-2003, 01:09 PM
Better later than never Neox, Congrats! You deserve it!:applause:

MrBraun
03-25-2003, 01:49 PM
Simply great !!!! :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

podoba
03-25-2003, 01:50 PM
amazing work.. well done:applause:

CGmonkey
03-25-2003, 02:53 PM
Damn I've seen this plugged 3 times damnit! ;) I'm getting awfully tired of it.. But it's awesome though! ;)

lildragon
03-25-2003, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by CgMonkey
Damn I've seen this plugged 3 times damnit! ;) I'm getting awfully tired of it.. But it's awesome though! ;)

eh? :curious:

cowhen
03-25-2003, 03:16 PM
omg! this is amazing!

aaron johnson
03-25-2003, 03:59 PM
I think you did a pretty good job saying that you normally don't model human bodies. I can see how that can be difficult. Do you have another angle so I can see more?

JamesDeschenes
03-25-2003, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by lildragon
eh? :curious:

Yeah it has been plugged before (look at the date of the original post (the year is 2002 :P) but it is still cool.

Neox
03-25-2003, 04:13 PM
it was on the frontpage? when?? and who did it without telling me???

ki oku
03-25-2003, 04:52 PM
hey master come online tonight ;) need some models you know :D

Neox
03-25-2003, 05:01 PM
*cough* you know where to get em and you know the PW ;)

hanzo
03-25-2003, 05:41 PM
NJ dud, love the way you did the 2d background...

santiago
03-25-2003, 07:04 PM
that's loco man

[DSmod]Tweak
03-25-2003, 07:06 PM
omg that is just amazing. beautifull! :applause: :applause: :beer: :thumbsup: :bounce: :buttrock:

Maya4fun
03-25-2003, 07:10 PM
Great stuff man !! Special mention to "fur". :thumbsup:

KotsVlok
03-25-2003, 08:34 PM
lol @ 'lil dragon :D ...Cool of u to still give this artist an award ;)

It's a damn nice piece of work....can't do nothin' more than just love it and drule at it about an hour :drool:

Corn Dog
03-25-2003, 08:59 PM
Only thought is that if they have been travelling a long way in the open, with snow blowing about there should be snow stuck to the Rino and a little on the character and staff.

Still like it though.

flamedevil
03-25-2003, 10:00 PM
Very nice creature !
I like the render, good work of lighting and photoshop touch.

This picture is beautiful ! :thumbsup:

Maria
03-25-2003, 11:37 PM
Incredible!!!!!!!!!!:applause:

facial
03-26-2003, 02:43 AM
Neox, Your work is great. I love the coler key of it , and your design is cool also, Keep up the great work. :beer:

lildragon
03-26-2003, 02:53 AM
Originally posted by James Deschenes
Yeah it has been plugged before (look at the date of the original post (the year is 2002 :P) but it is still cool.

Nope not too my knowlegde, trust me I would've remembered since I do 80% of the plugs ;)

salud

michelleblue
03-26-2003, 03:16 AM
Neat looking stuffs!
Are you gonna animate it?:bounce:

Neox
03-26-2003, 07:12 AM
can't say this yet... doing such stuff inhouse takes time we currently don't have ;)

KotsVlok
03-26-2003, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by lildragon
Nope not too my knowlegde, trust me I would've remembered since I do 80% of the plugs ;)

salud
So that's 20% you don't :shrug:

Neox
03-26-2003, 08:05 AM
20% i should know :D

Zastrozzi
03-26-2003, 08:58 AM
I agree thread resurection sucks :(
perhapse this wasn't pluged before but it is quite old
what if threads that havn't had a post on them for say 2 months get moved to an archive section and out of the new finished works :P? this would prevent most thread resurection and still keep the great gallerys for veiwing :D

akewt
03-26-2003, 09:15 AM
imho you have lost most of the 3d quality that the model gives. the painting dosent seem to be of the same quality as the modeling. the fur on the beast is flat and the whole thing looks flat with the post work. can you post a un-touched up in photoshop version? just being devils advocate ;)

lildragon
03-26-2003, 11:07 AM
Zastrozzi does it really matter? art is art, don't matter the date. Plus it's like once in the 180 + entries I put in the gallery, big deal :shrug:

salud

lildragon
03-26-2003, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by KotsVlok
So that's 20% you don't :shrug:

again what is so wrong with that? so I missed one! keeping in mind I have like 3 sites to constantly maintain, I *am* after all only human :hmm:

Neox
03-26-2003, 12:31 PM
lil calm down, it really doesn't matter if the thread was plugged or if not... and i think it was not, i guess i would have seen that

its not your fault :)

feerik
03-26-2003, 03:53 PM
Neox>> I lost my words :drool:

Reza_82ir
04-02-2003, 11:08 PM
Wow,Its great model:applause: :thumbsup:

Maya4fun
04-03-2003, 02:52 PM
You use what for fur man?

My actual wip :

Finally it's a Troll!! : http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53224

Neox
04-03-2003, 03:14 PM
shagHair and Photoshop

Virtuoso
04-06-2003, 11:59 PM
I believe it deserves to be plugged more than once actually. Back in 2002 or 2002 BC or later this year for that matter........
:p :)

Beautiful composition. A real moving piece.Full of scope,a grand and vibrant piece of work. "Right click save as" it goes into my elite CG art Folder..........

Congrats Neox and all that are part of this great piece.:thumbsup: :beer:

woodwoox
04-15-2003, 08:39 PM
wow brilliant job !

JACRIP
04-15-2003, 09:01 PM
:eek: :drool: :drool:
great work, that a good idea.

TETRAGRAMMATON
07-21-2005, 10:48 PM
Cool,cool,cool really cool artwork.My compliments.

Neox
07-22-2005, 08:41 AM
wow 2 years after the last post ;)

thanks man :)

Heber
07-22-2005, 09:02 AM
i love your work neox!
this is one of my all time favourites , :)

CGTalk Moderation
07-22-2005, 09:02 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.