PDA

View Full Version : Wacom Intuos3 and Cintiq Owners: Add Useful Functionality in Painter!

pixlart
12-04-2005, 12:48 AM
Hi:

I recently discovered a useful productivity enhancement that I'd like to share with Wacom Intuos3 and Cintiq 21UX owners.

I've owned a Wacom Intuos3 tablet for about a year. When I initially received it, I found that when using it with Corel Painter IX, the Touch Strips and ExpressKeys (located on either side of the drawing area) were a nuisance and that I would inadvertently hit/touch them with my drawing hand. To eliminate the problem, I disabled them.

Well, I recently had one of those Aha! moments and realized that I could take advantage of this functionality for productive purposes. I've mapped Painter's Increase Brush Size and Decrease Brush Size keys to the Touch Strip.

Since I'm left-handed, I applied this functionality to the right Touch Strip (I keep the left Touch Strip disabled to avoid accidental input when my left palm occasionally rubs it while drawing). Right-handers may want to alternatively apply this functionality to their left Touch Strip/ExpressKeys set.

This new functionality enables me to paint and interactively adjust my brush size. The size change increment is adjustable in the Preferences: General palette. I personally prefer a 2 pixel increment, but you can set it to any interval you'd like.

Once I mapped the Touch Strip, I played around with the adjacent ExpressKeys and found that they make very useful screen adjusting shortcuts. I've mapped the keys to Zoom In, Zoom Out, Fit in Window, and Toggle between Full Screen and Window modes. All this is now accomplished without interrupting my drawing/painting activity.

I'm assuming that this functionality will also work with the Cintiq 21UX (which also has ExpressKeys and Touch Strips. I don't have one, so I can't test it, but I'm believe the drivers are the same.

I hope this is useful for some of you Intuos3/Cintiq owners.

Viva la Painter!

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/640/intuos3mapping5vl.th.jpg (http://img217.imageshack.us/my.php?image=intuos3mapping5vl.jpg)

White Knight
12-04-2005, 03:41 PM
Excellent tip! Thank you! :)

umfridus
12-04-2005, 06:02 PM
Yep, Touch Strips and ExpressKeys can be a real productivity boost. I've heard people complaining about them being too sensitive, but they've been working great for me.

CGTalk Moderation
12-04-2005, 06:02 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.