PDA

View Full Version : Question for WIP people

alex_rial
12-03-2005, 09:19 PM
When I'm animating in MAYA I always use the playblast to see my progress, until I get it to where I like it. BUT, when I import targas in After effects it changes the total length of the animation. This is really fustrating when you have a 10 sec animation that you really like but when After effects is done, its only an 8 sec animation that now moves to fast, so my short holds don't even read

Someone help me, It has been a problem for a bit and now I can'ts take it anymore. My animation looks to fast.

thanks
Alex

Joscoon
12-03-2005, 11:25 PM
hey alex,
I think i know what might be your problem. In Maya, you are probably animating at 24 fps, and After Effects is defaulting at 30fps. Hence, it is taking your animation which looks good at 24fps and it is speeding it up to 30fps. What you need to do is either change the frame rate in maya using window>preferences>timeline...or, adjust after effects to 24fps. Hope this helps. I had a similar problem before and that is what I had to do.

acacia
12-04-2005, 07:45 AM
I concur. I animate in Maya and playblast as well... So it has been my experience that to keep the FPS even in Maya and AfterEffects, etc. You have to set the preferences to 30 FPS.

Sagii
12-05-2005, 06:23 PM
yup.. i actually am going ot have to stretch some renders in aftereffects cause i forgot to change my preferences in Maya :banghead:

OneSharpMarble
12-07-2005, 08:42 PM
*DON'T FORGET everytime you start an animation to set it at 30fps before you begin setting keys! If you change it to 30 after all of your keys will end up on frame 1.2 or 2.4 or some nonsense.

I had to learn this a couple times. :(

XenaTrek
12-07-2005, 08:48 PM
I concur with everybody since I do the same thing every now and then.. I sometimes forget that Maya is set to 24 FPS while AE is set to 30 FPS.

XenaTrek.

loshunter
12-07-2005, 11:14 PM
It would appear that the posts above are correct. This would be your problem. However I personally would go about changing the after effects project setting to 24 fps, in the composition settings (ctrl K). This is because I come from a classical background and have a sense of timing for film. I would leave everyhting in 24 fps until the final export, where I would then convert to 23.98 if exporting for DVD.

However animating at 30 fps is definantly not wrong and if you choose to go that way then thats totally up to you. Just a lot of places still look to classical for terminology (x number of feet a week ect.) and these terms are for 24 fps.

Hope that helps

sivasketch
12-10-2005, 04:31 PM
Hi alex_rial,
I agree with loshunter and i tell you to keep working with 24 frames settings in maya, and when you import targas in After effects change your settings to 24 frames.

ChrisSosa
12-12-2005, 01:07 AM
Hey guys I recently had this problem when I was doing a lip sync. I was animating in maya at 24fps but when I imported my targas in AE it would run it at 30 fps and the lips sync wouldn't match up. I figured out that if you right click on the targa sequence you imported in AE and go to Interpret Footage> Main. You can change the Targa sequence from 30fps to 24fps solving the Lip Sync problem.

CGTalk Moderation
12-12-2005, 01:07 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.