PDA

View Full Version : skyscraper texturing?

Sbowling
12-03-2005, 09:19 AM
I'm working on a logo for a client that involves a bunch of skyscrapers and while creating them was fairly straight forward, getting them to look good is turning out to be quite the challenge. I'm guessing that the biggest problem is that the large flat areas are not great reflectors. I've tried adding some bump mapping to the windows which has helped a bit, but it's still not looking that great. Anway, just looking for some advice from anyone who may have more experience in this stuff than I do. BTW, these don't need to be realistic, just good.

Thanks for any advice!

JDex
12-03-2005, 09:38 AM
I have a solution, but it means doubling the triangle count of your windows.

1. Select all of your window polygons (assuming rectangles)...
2. Press Ctrl+D (assuming standard mapping)...
3. in the PPG, select X from the dropdown (I think the other options are plus, diamond, etc)...
4. select adjacent points from the poly selection, shink selection (this gives you the point at the center of the x)...
5. move those points a smidgen* by their normal with the "move components independently" toggled on (RMB click on the word transform over in the right-hand toolbar to get the menu and make sure to turn off COG)
6. to break it up a bit... on those same points, use the randomize deformer with very low values.
7. Make sure your Geometry approximation breaking angle is high enough to smooth the little window warps you just made...

Enjoy.

Edit... ROFL... I read flat areas as windows...

LemonNado
12-03-2005, 12:52 PM
Thanks for the trick JDex, I have good use for it.

To modify the look quickly you can also try to rouch up the surface a tad. OPen rendertree, open the phong or whatever shader you use for the selection and set the glossy slider in the reflections higher. It only works when you also change the sampling rate below that. Lower smapling rate looks rougher and higher looks finer but takes more time. Play with it...

Lemo

shaitan
12-04-2005, 01:42 AM
Really nice results.... :applause:
Thx
Grx

Sbowling
12-06-2005, 12:16 AM
Thanks for the responses.

Jdex, is there any benefit to using the extra geometry method over using a bump map on the windows? Considering I probably have thousands of windows in this scene all the extra geometry seems like it would slow things down quite a bit.

JDex
12-06-2005, 12:49 AM
In the fore-to-mid-ground... I think the extra geometry looks better... of course you take a polycount hit... for me it's a balance... If you do this to 2000 windows, you're only going to increase the triangle count by 4000 triangles... on many scenes, this won't even make a dent in the renders, while on others... well... fatal memory allocation error. Just another tool in the kit.

LemonNado
12-06-2005, 02:21 PM
Looks great Shaitan. I have to play with it. Thanks for sharing JDex.
Lemo

Sbowling
12-07-2005, 01:57 AM
In the fore-to-mid-ground... I think the extra geometry looks better... of course you take a polycount hit... for me it's a balance... If you do this to 2000 windows, you're only going to increase the triangle count by 4000 triangles... on many scenes, this won't even make a dent in the renders, while on others... well... fatal memory allocation error. Just another tool in the kit.

Wouldn't that be 6000 triangles? :D Anyway, thanks for the idea. I'm not getting that closo to the buildings, so I think the bump map will work, not I just need to figure out some kind of animation for the thing. Did I mention I hate doing logos!

JDex
12-07-2005, 02:14 AM
Hehe...

Correct me if I'm wrong...

2000 Rectanglar Polys = 4000 Triangles

Slicing up each Rectangle into 4 Triangles by making them an "X" doubles the triangles. It does however add 6000 polys... but renderers use memory based on triangles, not polygons.

Sbowling
12-07-2005, 03:54 AM
Hehe...

Slicing up each Rectangle into 4 Triangles by making them an "X" doubles the triangles. It does however add 6000 polys... but renderers use memory based on triangles, not polygons.

OK, I get it. I was counting a quad as one polygon, not two triangles. Visually I was right, but render-wise you were right. Or, maybe I'm just a dumbass. <-- very likely. :eek:

Sbowling
12-07-2005, 04:01 AM
Hehe...

OK, I get it. I was counting a quad as one polygon, not two triangles. Visually I was right, but render-wise you were right. Or, maybe I'm just a dumbass. <-- very likely. :eek:

Geese Howard
12-08-2005, 01:06 AM
Really nice results.... :applause:
Thx
Grx

sorry guys, i checked out this thread cause i also need to do a cityscape scene, so i hope i'm not branching off too far, can anyone point me to a tutorial or tell me how to set up texture/renders to have a reflection like a mirror? (like on Shaitan's thumbnail here.)
Basically, i have a chracter looking into the mirror and he sees his reflection from his POV. So as he moves, obviously i need the reflection to move with him also. Thanks.

CGTalk Moderation
12-08-2005, 01:06 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.