PDA

View Full Version : US: Court Strikes Down Illinois Video Game Law

RobertoOrtiz
12-03-2005, 03:24 AM
Quote:
"A federal judge ruled Friday that Illinois' restrictions on the sale of violent and sexually explicit video games to minors are unconstitutional and barred the state from enforcing the law.

State officials "have come nowhere near" demonstrating that the law passes constitutional muster, said U.S. District Court Judge Matthew Kennelly."

>>Link<< (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051203/ap_on_re_us/video_game_ban;_ylt=AixfHqQ.0bs61p8xgAGE4oms0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3cjE0b2MwBHNlYwM3Mzg-)

-R

pgp_protector
12-03-2005, 03:46 AM
so is it unconstitutional to restrict the sale of any magazine or movies ?

Ninjas
12-03-2005, 05:13 AM
The sale of movies is not restricted by law.

PhantomDesign
12-03-2005, 05:23 AM
In related news.....

November 29th 2005
http://www.gamespot.com/ps2/action/princeofpersia3/news.html?sid=6140535
This afternoon, Clinton's office announced she has written a bill that would institute federal regulation of game sales. Coauthored by longtime game critic Senator Joe Lieberman (D-Conn.), the Family Entertainment Protection Act will be jointly submitted by the two legislators when Congress reconvenes in two weeks.

I can add two people to my "do not vote for" list :deal: - oh wait - they were already on there. :hmm:

pgp_protector
12-03-2005, 06:50 AM
The sale of movies is not restricted by law.

Then why can't kids buy rated R movies if it's not restricted by law ?

KolbyJukes
12-03-2005, 06:55 AM
I've never...not once, been carded to buy an R-rated DVD, however..I've been carded 3 times in the last 5 months when buying an 'M' rated game (I'm 22).

to my knowledge it's not illegal to sell minors R-rated videos/DVDs.

PhantomDesign
12-03-2005, 07:01 AM
Store Policies.

Lorecanth
12-03-2005, 08:29 AM
I wonder when/if the ACLU will sue stores for the carding of adults for items not proscribed by law as needing to be ID'd for. I'm getting tired of pulling out my drivers license and showing some 16 y/o register jockey that I have a right to buy GTA.

Grim Beefer
12-03-2005, 10:42 PM
Don't wait for ACLU to do it alone, join them and help out. I'm sure you all remember the Tipper Gore driven frenzy about rock music in the 80's via the Parents and Music Resource Center (PMRC (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parents_Music_Resource_Center)). This led to the "Tipper sticker", that explicit warning label that all of the good albums have on them. It doesn't surprise me that the same camp is now going after video games. This is about censorship plain and simple. Everyone knows that big chains are reluctant to carry anything "offensive to minors". That's why Wal-Mart doesn't sell anything with a Tipper sticker, only "safe" versions of music CD's with all those home-wrecking bad words taken out. I think this is all horribly backwards minded. Can you imagine putting a Tipper Sticker on a Picasso because he depicted nude prostitutes? What about slapping them on Bibles for that matter (plenty of sex and violence there)?

I say beyond just refuting these laws, we need to do away with the whole rating system for all art forms. Sex and violence are a part of our lives. I don't believe that you should make children feel guilty because of the natural curiosities they are going to have about these and other taboo subjects. I think the very fact that they are taboo is going to drive children to want to obtain them. Other cultures regard sex, especially, as not a big deal and show things on television that would have people here foaming at the mouth. Furthermore, I didn't give any of these people the moral authority to decide what is and is not "obscene" or "objectionable" in the first place.

mummey
12-03-2005, 10:51 PM

Its self-regulated by the MPAA. There actually is no law for it. The MPAA enforces it so they(congress) don't have to make one.

EpShot
12-03-2005, 10:52 PM
so shop at best buy.

CGTalk Moderation
12-03-2005, 10:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.