PDA

View Full Version : HD shooting then camera tracking.

Rodi
12-03-2005, 03:00 AM
Hi guys,

Im looking to hire a camcorder to do some shooting, and i was looking at the option of using a HD camcorder. My worry is whether software such as Boujou will be able to track the high quality footage, how the footage will work with my single processor dated athlon xp PC.

Just any thoughts or suggestions would be great, perhaps tell me to stick with a good standard definition DV camcorder...:-)

Thanks in advance,

Rodi

aonikoyi
12-03-2005, 01:05 PM
in my opinion HD should offer more raw data that would allow boujou to calculate more accurately. however as you hinted the calculation time might suffer due to processor power. not sure if you have invested in boujou which is industrial strength but I prefer syntheyes as some of my personal tests have been faster and more accurate. Not saying that boujou is not accurate but I guess its a workflow type issue.

Head over to the pixelcorps to check out discussions on this. we use bojou as our main tracker.

Rodi
12-03-2005, 02:24 PM
Interesting, thanks very much for that, i have access to boujou at work, but for a personal investment that syntheyes looks amazing. I been having trouble with boujou, tracking is fine, but so far i havent been able to get the 'describe scene geometry' to export properly, for some shots i can only describe the ground floor plane, when this is exported to max its still way off.

Thanks for that link on pixelcorps im checking it out right now.

caulfield
12-04-2005, 02:29 AM
So syntheyes is quality?

I've used equalizer, and I'd use it over boujou ANY DAY! I've found that boujou can be really easy and straight forward, until you have something quite tricky, when it can just crash during a track. Try to add a locator or something, and it'll just blow out the processing time.

Equalizer on the other hand gives you the option to go into the track, figure out what's going wrong, and solve the problem. Totally stable, on unix - even when you're working on a 4k plate!

Pretty stable on windows, but they're not updating the versions...very annoying!

Eli1981
12-04-2005, 06:55 PM
hello :
boujou or matchmover will work well for u.
notes:
whatever program you r using ((automatic tracking ...lalala))
always use tracking points while filming
and use masking or alpha (for the unwanted area) while tracking

Rodi
12-05-2005, 02:25 PM
Oh I know that, thanks

SKODA
12-06-2005, 05:51 AM
I've been matchmoving with SynthEyes, I've found that I like to put HD through that at Half res. 540x960 square pix. There is lots of quality for tracking, and the frames load up quickly and tracks process much faster at that res. Then I just bump my 3D camera resolution to 200% to render out at full HD. Matchmoving can be very time consuming so it's worth it for me to speed up the process.

Jamshed
12-06-2005, 11:03 PM
Hey dude,

Have looked at 3D equalizer?
might be a good option.

CGTalk Moderation
12-06-2005, 11:03 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.