PDA

View Full Version : A first attempt at character design

ryv
02-27-2002, 08:38 PM
This is my first, humble attempt at character design. I'm working in Illustrator, using enough gradient meshes to slow my machine to a crawl. It's pretty slow going, but I'm really starting to like the results.

This critter is a pipe goblin. They're the unionized labor behind all the entropic systems in your house-- weird noises from the pipes (where the idea originated), light bulbs going out, electrical problems, etc. They get their gear, tools, and clothing from standard household garbage and items that randomly go missing-- walnut shell for a helmet (yeah, it needs some work), old potato chip bags and "lost" tube socks for clothing, rubber bands, matches... you get the idea. The mythology keeps growing in my head as the gradient meshes multiply on the screen.

Anyway, this beastly thing is taking forever. I've been considering switching to a 3-d program-- i like the stuff in illustrator, but i won't be able to reappropriate it for other poses or animations. In the past I've only done 2d work, so 3d programs are a little imposing.... well, I'm rambling.

Thanks in advance for any input. :)

.:ryv

bzhavoc
02-28-2002, 03:18 AM
nice work!!!
i think that the reflections on the eyes might use some more attention.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.