PDA

View Full Version : Texture: Normal mapped plane;)

PhilOsirus
12-02-2005, 10:47 PM
Nothing major, i'm posting this just in case anyone might learn something as far as texturing goes. I made this quickly back in October I think and turned it into normal mapped just to see how it worked. It's an 8 tri plane with a diffuse/specular/normal map. When seen in motion it really feels like the electrical wires are behind the grid, with an actual depth. Such is the fun of normal maps. At least when making them out of images, normal mapping non-organic models has been a huge failure for me this week.

Anyway click (http://www.star-reef.com/3d_art/3d_nm_grid.shtml) the image to see more details!

Note: Most of it is painted, but the graffiti and sticker, along with a bit of the wall texture, was tweaked from pictures found on the net.

http://www.star-reef.com/images/3D_nm_grid.jpg (http://www.star-reef.com/3d_art/3d_nm_grid.shtml)

smurfbizkit2
12-03-2005, 01:43 AM
and here I excepted to see an airplane!

Not much to say about it, looks nice. :)

requiem2d
12-03-2005, 07:23 AM
Nice quality :D

HellBoy
12-03-2005, 11:53 AM
thats good texture

I too was expecting a airplane but its a plane

PhilOsirus
12-03-2005, 05:48 PM
Thanks for the comments. BTW I was thinking, why do people use (for example) 3 512x512 images for a normal mapped prop when the specular map could be of lower resolution? The same often goes for alpha maps. I doubt halving the size of the specular map would be a big issue, and if the majority of the props have lower resolution specular maps it saves a lot of memory. Also, thanks to normal maps, even the diffuse map can often be reduced in size since it no longer has lighting information painted in it, so a lot of types of props just need a good resolution normal map while the rest can be much smaller.

nathanielbell
12-03-2005, 07:40 PM
Looks good. Two things stick out to me at first glance. On the sign, the edges are feathered. In real life a worn sign is not feathered its tore. So you would see harder edges and layers of the paper from wear. Also on the metal grate There seems to be a line going down the over in it that doesnt make sense. Is that part of the normal map? Looks good though. :thumbsup:

PhilOsirus
12-03-2005, 08:10 PM
Looks good. Two things stick out to me at first glance. On the sign, the edges are feathered. In real life a worn sign is not feathered its tore. So you would see harder edges and layers of the paper from wear. Also on the metal grate There seems to be a line going down the over in it that doesnt make sense. Is that part of the normal map? Looks good though. :thumbsup:

Good point about the paper, I'll keep this in mind when texturing. As for the line on the metal grate it was suppose to just be a scratch, it does look strange.

CGTalk Moderation
12-03-2005, 08:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.