PDA

View Full Version : Image degradation problem?

gaggle
11-22-2002, 03:18 PM
Heyya,

I like AE, it somehow manages to a tool of much ease whenever I need to edit video stuff. But I've been told, by what I thought were reliable sources, that nono, I shouldn't use AE whatsoever, because it degrades the images.
Ie. they say you can take a videostream, run it through AE directly to a new output destination, and that in itself will cause the newly rendered images to differ from the original ones. Which makes AE.. impractical to use, at least for 2k cinema work, as far as I can tell.

But is there any truth to that? I sure haven't noticed anything, but they do claim it's very slight and will show up eventually if enough passes are done. But maybe it was in earlier versions? Maybe they're on drugs?

I tried searching the net for answers, but all the links I found made comments on how lossless and perfect AE handles its output, so hm.

So anyways, just curious is all.

Bennels
11-22-2002, 03:43 PM
I would say that any degradation in image output would be from using a lossy compression. But if you want to check, I would suggest taking the RGB value of a pixel in one of the image's corners before being put through AF and then checking to see if it changes after being through AF. If the values have changed you then have your answer.

Cheers

Bennels
11-22-2002, 03:45 PM
Pretend my 'AF''s are 'AE's....it's late here

beaker
11-22-2002, 04:56 PM
>>But I've been told, by what I thought were reliable sources, that nono, I shouldn't use AE whatsoever, because it degrades the images.

Your "reliable sources" are full of crap. AE is just fine for video work. I know many companies that use AE for film work(ILM, BFTR, the Orphanage, Strega Imaging, Flat Earth, Foundation Imaging, Pixel Magic). As Bennels said, this would only be from using .jpg(lossy) or crappy settings on a movie file or using just a crappy codec.

>>Ie. they say you can take a videostream, run it through AE directly to a new output destination

They probably have a shitty video capture/output card. You get what you pay for. You can't pay $50 for a tv card and expect broadcast quality or it could be crappy linear equipment. A $50 vcr isn't going to give you much quality to capture from in the first place. They could be capturing the movie at a very low bit rate. This is a totally a PEBKAC error(Problem Exists Between Keyboard And Chair).

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 05:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.