PDA

View Full Version : HL2 Weapon rigging and weighting?

Radeon
12-02-2005, 04:34 PM
Hi,

I'm trying to rigg a weapon for use with the source engine. But i relly don't know where to start. I have checked alot of tutorials on char rigging and the original hl2 weapons. I can make the rigg and assign the model to the rigg but i don't know how to assign the hammer, trigger etc to their own joint.

I've tried weighting it by painting with the paint skin weight tool but this takes like forever to do and when i move the joint i have weighted it to it just deforms the model instead of just moving it.

Basicly what i want to know if is there is an easier method to chose what part of a model is assigned to what joint and how i get it to not deform the model just move it.

I'm using Maya btw.

Best Regards

Pascaru
12-21-2005, 05:33 PM
i dont know what the weapon looks like.. can you post a screen capture please?

eek
01-06-2006, 02:20 AM
Im guessing for HL2, yourll need weapon links. I.e locators parented to the hand bones that the engine refers to. Then you parent this weapon to this link. You dont skin the weapon. If its got moving parts you parent them in a heirachy back down to the link. This is the approach for most engines.

eek

CGTalk Moderation
01-06-2006, 02:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.