PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave & Vue5I Volcano Wip

enochian
12-02-2005, 03:37 PM
After getting my copy of Vue5I as part of the upgrade special i decided to do a project using both applications , so I could get a handle on the workflow. So far I'm very please in using the programs together. I still very much a novice in working with both applications, so any trick and tips are very much welcome and appreciated.

http://www.nolinestudios.com/animation/videos/Movie.wmv

Ryan

dragon_little
12-02-2005, 04:29 PM
looks very nice, but the camera movement is too hard.
and would look much nicer if you would have more contrast in the sky.

chris

Kid-Mesh
12-02-2005, 07:43 PM
Great start :)

I literally just put my order in for the upgrade 30 seconds ago and I see this thread...cool. Could you elaborate on your workflow and maybe expand upon what seems to be seemless/cumbersome?

Thanks

Ed Bittner
12-04-2005, 11:52 AM
Much better than the first one.

E.

enochian
12-06-2005, 04:18 PM
Working with the two applications is straight forward. I start with Vue creating the scene lighting it and creating the camera movement, then I exported the volcano (as a low res.), lights and camera into lightwave. Everything exported perfectly into Lightwave from there I matted out the Volcano mesh and made the HV particles.

Some the short comings are that the synco is a one way street; you can not modify any of the Vue element in LW and have it update in Vue. Although in will be possible when fusion is released, (the first version of this is a Max and Maya plug-in so LW users may be waiting a while for this feature. Rendering is also an issue when both application have two vastly different rendering solutions and produce different results..

One thing I havenít tried yet is making an HDR image from Vue and then using lightgen to light the LW scene.

Mostly Iím very happy with vue and lightwave and I use the applications more Iím sure I will get more seamless results.

_____

Thanks E.

Eclyps19
12-06-2005, 10:46 PM
I can never get landscapes to look good when I import them from vue to lighwave =( how do you do it so well?!

enochian
12-07-2005, 02:13 PM
The landscape is all rendered in Vue, I only exported the landscape to LW to use it as an Alpha Mask and Collision Object for the particles. Then I composted then renders together in After Effects.

Going back to my last post one feature that I would find very useful is the option to export Vue's atmospheres into LW's skytracer and have LW support volumetric fog. This would help in making the renders look more congruent.

Ryan

CGTalk Moderation
12-07-2005, 02:13 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.