PDA

View Full Version : serenity 2?

Bsmith
12-02-2005, 03:54 PM
http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/673/673102p1.html

" Sources said that, given the strong sales of the TV series Firefly on dvd, Universal is planning a sequel film to Serenity that will be produced with and to broadcast premiere on the Sci Fi Channel. "

Leebre
12-02-2005, 06:19 PM
That would be so choice. Sci-Fi should buy the rights to Firefly from Fox (or whatever it is you have to do) and starting producing new episodes.

beaker
12-02-2005, 06:22 PM
That would be so choice. Sci-Fi should buy the rights to Firefly from Fox (or whatever it is you have to do) and starting producing new episodes.Fox doesn't own Firefly, Universal does. Fox just paid to have it on their station.

A. Wright
12-02-2005, 06:33 PM
It's such a good series, they've gotta keep it going.

Apoclypse
12-02-2005, 08:01 PM
Did the first movie even do that well? I saw it liked it but even then I was thinking thi would make a better show than a movie.

Doesn't Universal own scifi? I haven't watch the scifi channel since they took off farscape. Battlestar galactica seems interesting but a little to preachy and the robots look rather weak.

enygma
12-02-2005, 08:06 PM
No it didn't do too well in the theatres. I was really hoping it would, but such is life.

Domestic Total Gross: $25,374,750
+ Overseas: $11,979,109
= Worldwide: $37,353,859
Production Budget: $39 million

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=serenity.htm

Arrghman
12-02-2005, 09:33 PM
Fox doesn't own Firefly, Universal does. Fox just paid to have it on their station.

Fox owns the TV rights to produce new episodes... Universal only became involved when they made the movie, and just has the movie rights.

Para
12-02-2005, 09:41 PM
It's such a good series, they've gotta keep it going.

Can't stop the signal.

vfx fan
12-02-2005, 09:49 PM
I don't care if it's in the theatre, direct-to-video, or a Sci-Fi Channel movie, just get "Serenity 2" made! The first movie was the most brilliant space opera I've seen in a while -- possibly since "Star Trek II."

And here's hoping Zoic will be around to do the space fx.

phobos78
12-02-2005, 10:21 PM
Can't stop the signal.

Thats awesome :applause:

DB3D
12-02-2005, 10:31 PM
I recently just finished watching the series. My girlfriend even really got into it. We were hoping thered be more to be able to watch other than the dvd coming out.

Flog
12-02-2005, 10:33 PM
Domestic Total Gross: $25,374,750
+ Overseas: $11,979,109
= Worldwide: $37,353,859
Production Budget: $39 million

That is actually not to bad, considering they almost made their money back, but it will be more than that once it hits DVD. They will turn a profit for sure.

This is how much movies should cost to make.

PhilOsirus
12-02-2005, 11:39 PM
39 million is pretty good considering the quality of the special effects, but it was unlikely to be a big hit in theaters. Sci-fi is difficult to sell these days.

doomdragon
12-02-2005, 11:44 PM
Well at least in germany it is still running and just started last week I think, so the "overseas" part could still grow quite a bit. Especially considering the series never aired on TV here and probably not many knew of this before it actually hit the cinemas.

And checking the overseas breakdown on that link shows that it is running for about a week and some days in some other countries too. So it will at least earn it's production costs I think.

chadtheartist
12-02-2005, 11:54 PM
Shiny!

(filler to meet required character limit :D)

JDex
12-03-2005, 02:42 AM
Yeah I do think that the overseas totals will end up over 15mil... taking Serenity into in-the-black territory with DVD sales to come... All signs boade well for a return of my favorite smugglers to the small screen... I think that a solid SciFi movie will be followed by SciFi buying out FOX and bringing the show... the only problem I see is will the cast still have the availability and chemistry when that day comes...

Simon, Zoe and Mal are busy, and will likely stay that way unless they pull a bad role... And I seriously doubt that Inalya and Kaylee will be auditioning forever.

ATTENTION ::: NO SPOILERS ON SERENITY - VIOLATORS WILL BE FORCED TO EAT THEIR OWN LEFT FOOT, WITH NO KETCHUP.

gunslingerblack
12-03-2005, 02:49 AM
the only problem I see is will the cast still have the availability and chemistry when that day comes...

u dont have to worry about that, it's already been stated before in interviews that the whole cast was very into this project and are ready to act as soon as they hear the word from josh.

they were all hoping they could continue on in all the interviews and pre serenity press that i saw. im pretty sure they'll drop whatever thier doin and come back.

JDex
12-03-2005, 02:53 AM
Well, I saw all that too... but there usually seems to be politics at play when doing the press-junket. I think that if one of them (I'm actually thinking Simon, believe it or not) moves up to the next echelon of stardom, a little show on SciFi may not be a big draw on the career decisions list.

But, ya-never-know.

kraal
12-03-2005, 08:57 AM
i dont know think about the money that the cast of friends ended up banking.... and filming a season still leaves time for a movie through out the year too

JDex
12-03-2005, 09:40 AM
A season of Friends likely paid for anyone of the stars double that of the total casting budgets for 3 seasons of the 2 highest paying SciFi Series (would guess BSG and SG1 if I had to guess).

Friends was crazy big money...

Nemoid
12-03-2005, 10:27 AM
LOL i have to see Serenity yet and there's Serenity 2 talking ? cool !! i am a big sci fi fan so, i'll go and see Serenity ASAP !! too bad it didn't had that success and didn't recover the money.

I saw the first 9 minutes on the web and it looked good. :)

Well, i hope that if the sequel will be made it will be even better than first episode I want to see more sci fi !!

PhantomDesign
12-03-2005, 04:01 PM
Serenity was very poorly marketed, especailly that trailer! I think that's why it did so badly.

SovereignKnight
12-03-2005, 05:36 PM
There isn't going to be a Serenity 2, because the first one bombed in the theater. Wishful thinking is great, and a positive attitude is wonderful, but neither of those things is enough to convince the money whores of Hollywood to make another Firefly movie. You can make excuses and gripe and dream all you want, but it's not going to happen.

However, a TV movie or straight to DVD release is quite possible. Actually, DVD would be the way to go, considering that's how the franchise became popular in the first place.

I'm a HUGE Firefly fan. I loved the series and I watch it over from time to time even though I can practically recite the whole bloody thing from memory. Even so, I was MASSIVELY dissapointed in the movie. It just... wasn't right.

It belongs on TV. Small screen format. The thing just doesn't work on the movie screen.

blakshep
12-03-2005, 06:26 PM
what was your probem with the film ? i think it was a fine closing of a fine series. it was just like an episode just everything was bigger. i'll hope they make a new seaon.....

There isn't going to be a Serenity 2, because the first one bombed in the theater. Wishful thinking is great, and a positive attitude is wonderful, but neither of those things is enough to convince the money whores of Hollywood to make another Firefly movie. You can make excuses and gripe and dream all you want, but it's not going to happen.

However, a TV movie or straight to DVD release is quite possible. Actually, DVD would be the way to go, considering that's how the franchise became popular in the first place.

I'm a HUGE Firefly fan. I loved the series and I watch it over from time to time even though I can practically recite the whole bloody thing from memory. Even so, I was MASSIVELY dissapointed in the movie. It just... wasn't right.

It belongs on TV. Small screen format. The thing just doesn't work on the movie screen.

chrisWhite
12-03-2005, 06:44 PM
You might want to put a spoiler warning up there before saying that.

blakshep
12-03-2005, 07:06 PM
whoops i thought it's ok to talk about serenity 1 in the serenity 2 topic ;-)

You might want to put a spoiler warning up there before saying that.

JDex
12-03-2005, 07:08 PM
Sovereign... coming up 1-2 million shy of breaking even, pre-DVD sales is hardly bombing... Making half your investment back is bombing... When all is said and done, Serenity will turn a profit... it's still in 1st run theaters in many countries and DVD sales will likely hit at least 50% of the Series sales (which were stellar sales)... it's not being overly optimistic.

Boone
12-03-2005, 09:41 PM
I saw Serenity a month or two back and found it to be quite a treat.

But considering its theater coverage - I'm surprised it made $37million. I mean, it was only on for less than two weeks! How did they expect it to make money? :shrug: Hell, Stealth was in the same boat, but had a budget of 100+ million! I think it only made just over $60million... :lightbulb

The movie studios are just going to have to accept that they no longer make money on Theatrical releases alone - the DVD sales are now so vital.

Anyway. I would defintely be up for watching a Serenity2! :bounce:

f97ao
12-03-2005, 09:50 PM
I just saw Serenity here, it just came to Sweden a few days ago.

Those that saw it liked it, but it was very empty in the theater. only 5% full or so, but it was late in the middle of the week.

It actually got the maximum grade in one of our bigger Swedish magazines, I hope that should help selling it. I think the main problem is that who will really see these movies?

Serenity has a somewhat similar audience as Startrek (sorry). Most people I know would not appreciate the movie that much, since not that many are deep into science fiction.

Tis a shame I think.

/Andreas

beaker
12-03-2005, 10:13 PM
Sovereign... coming up 1-2 million shy of breaking even, pre-DVD sales is hardly bombing... Making half your investment back is bombing... When all is said and done, Serenity will turn a profit... it's still in 1st run theaters in many countries and DVD sales will likely hit at least 50% of the Series sales (which were stellar sales)... it's not being overly optimistic.Exactly. Look at Hellboy, including marketing costs, it barely made a profit pre dvd(around 3 million). Though they are still going ahead with Hellboy 2 and a cartoon based on it.

Boone
12-03-2005, 10:15 PM
Standing on the top of a cliff, the sunshine breaks through the clouds and holding up a golden disc...

"ITS ALL THANKS TO THE DVD!" :cool:

JDex
12-03-2005, 10:17 PM
Wait until true video on demand (HD-->iptv) takes the wold by storm... hehe.

Boone
12-03-2005, 10:24 PM
Re: Jdex.

Sigh..."ITS ALL THANKS TO VIDEO-ON-DEMAND!"

Climbing up a cliff makes you an old man before your time... :banghead:

UrbanFuturistic
12-03-2005, 10:39 PM
However, a TV movie or straight to DVD release is quite possible. Actually, DVD would be the way to go, considering that's how the franchise became popular in the first place. From the very first post:

" Sources said that, given the strong sales of the TV series Firefly on dvd, Universal is planning a sequel film to Serenity that will be produced with and to broadcast premiere on the Sci Fi Channel. "

Also, as has been pointed out in this very thread, Serenity looks very likely to turn a small, but not insignificant, profit.

Might want to read the subject matter before replying :p

regards, Paul

Ninjamonk
12-03-2005, 11:37 PM
I own the TV series DVD and will be buying the movie dvd for sure. I suspect I am not alone hence massive dvd sells for it.

I loved it and would like to see more.

I swear I read somewhere that Cinema takings only account for 10% of takings for most films. You have to take into account TV money that it will make as well as DVD sells so I think it will be a profitable film.

Interesting that the wheldon camp are saying its not happening.

CGTalk Moderation
12-03-2005, 11:37 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.