PDA

View Full Version : Linking clips

Makomako
12-02-2005, 08:39 AM
Hello, I work professionally with MB5.5 but I don't know it very well. I have about 11 characters (soccer match) 3 of them are touching the ball in a very hard to keyframe way. everything is on place but I need to deccelerate one of these 3 players on a move of about 20 fr... So the 2 others and the ball won't be well timed again.
So my question is.
1 : Can I make a clip of the ball (Generic animation track I think but I didn't tried it)
2 : Can I link the 2 clips (player and the ball) so if I change speed rate on one, the other will change too

Thanks
Matt

kiko
12-15-2005, 12:57 AM
You can animate the ball in story tool by creating a generic animation track with the ball elements (or if the ball is constrained to a null, drag that null in a track), switch on Animate (the A button), then you'll be able to keyframe the position of the ball in story mode.
This will automatically create a clip for you, albeit one that you can only shift in time, not scale.
Once you are happy with it, do a Plot Scene to Current Take, this will bake the ball anim in your take. You can then create an additional anim track for the ball skeleton and do Insert Current Take, that will get you a clip that you can scale and loop.

If you select your ball null, open f-curves and switch the story tool on and off, you'll see the curves swap from the spaced keys you created in story to the baked one-key-per-frame that the ball has in your take.

I wouldn't delete that key framed clip so you can always go back to it an tweak your ball anim, in any case just mute it (M button) whenever it's not needed. When you need to alter the ball, key frame in this track (you can also alter your f-curves in story mode) and plot back and forth.

Additionally you could have a constraint track to switch the ball from different feet and to your free-world ball null and so forth, this is by far the most efficient way to switch constraints on and off in MB.

As far as I know there is no way to link clips to shift and scale together, that would be a nice feature addition.

hope that helps.

Kiko

onikaze
12-15-2005, 03:31 AM
You should be able to scale the story mode clip while you are laying keys on it by either selecting the keys in the timeline and scaling them or by changing the loop/scale button to scale and draging the clip in the story mode.

CGTalk Moderation
12-15-2005, 03:31 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.