PDA

View Full Version : Help creating perfect Alpha

JuddWack
12-01-2005, 06:35 PM
I have noticed that after painting an alpha channel and applying it a 3D model that my alpha isn't a perfect match with the color. I always have a little bit of difference between the two.

When I create my alpha I am pretty much just selecting the areas I want to be opaque and paint bucketing them.

Does anyone have any tips on a proper way to make an alpha channel. Things to avoid and keep in mind, etc.

Thanks.

Ian Jones
12-02-2005, 12:22 AM
where exactly do the differ? just around the edges?

JuddWack
12-02-2005, 01:39 AM
A few pixels outside of each selection. My suspician is that it's caused by antialiasing.

Anuxinamoon
12-04-2005, 12:20 AM
I never have actually tried this method, but my partner says it makes the best alpha maps. The way he does it is he paints the alpha channel first, by creating a new channel in the channels box. Paint it by hand with a 100% hard brush and see how it turns out.

I'm not sure how he ended up colouring it, I only saw him do it for some grass textures but have a go at experimenting anyway :)

I hope it helped!

FLCL
12-05-2005, 03:55 PM
http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html

this is by far the best masking tutorial i've found. Go to advanced masking at the bottom of the page.

cheers

>>edit. Sorry this is more for 2D than 3D but very useful all the same

Jack Youngblood
12-09-2005, 04:29 PM
The best way to tidy up an alpha with a shaggy edge is:

1. Blur the alpha slightly. This creates a graded grey fringe between the black and the white areas.

2. Play around with Levels Adjustments (middle slider I think). This will gradually convert the grey fringe into white or black depending on your settings. You will effectively be presented with a 'live' feedback of a shrinking/enlarging of your mask.

You can do this either with the mask in preview (cant remember the keystroke) or on the mask with the image in preview.

Luck

CGTalk Moderation
12-09-2005, 04:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.