PDA

View Full Version : Weird artifact with FR: missing polys in render!

talos72
12-01-2005, 06:23 PM
I have been trying to do test renders with a scene using FR and I keep gettinng these missing polys in the paper object: FR seems to simply not render half the object. Here are comparisons between FR and AR:

The image on the left is FR render and the right one is AR. I am running C4D R9.521.

Any ideas? I would appreciate help...not sure if it's a bug.

dann_stubbs
12-01-2005, 06:31 PM
I have been trying to do test renders with a scene using FR and I keep gettinng these missing polys in the paper object: FR seems to simply not render half the object. Here are comparisons between FR and AR:

The image on the left is FR render and the right one is AR. I am running C4D R9.521.

Any ideas? I would appreciate help...not sure if it's a bug.

is force double sided turned on in FR settings?

dann

talos72
12-01-2005, 06:41 PM
Awesome...that worked. Thanks Dann. Guess should read the manual fully before messing around.:) I figured it had to do something with FR evaluating poly normals differently than AR.

Ernest Burden
12-01-2005, 06:48 PM
Awesome...that worked. Thanks Dann. Guess should read the manual fully before messing around.:) I figured it had to do something with FR evaluating poly normals differently than AR.

I haven't had time yet to test how fR2 handles a poly with a different material on each side. 99.9% of the time I just put on a texture tag set to 'both sides', but you can do front, back or both. If fR2 is sensitive to normals then how would it deal with one mat on the front, one on the back?

test, test, test

lllab
12-01-2005, 08:00 PM
force 2 sided is one klick in the general render options og FR.
no need to set this in materials.

this is very common in mentalray, vray, brazil etc.
for us c4d used people this option should be on al the time.

it is really worth reading the manual, if you are not so used to other renderengines...

but the are all verysimilar in aproach, at least fr is very similar in settings to vray.

cheers
stefan

talos72
12-02-2005, 02:46 AM
I guess it depends on the render engine really. It seems some renderers automatically read both sides of polys. In Lightwave they have double-sided polys with normals on both sides (not sure how that works at a mathematical level by the render engine, unless the double-sided poly is some form of a cheat with two polys stock on top of eachother with normals pointing in opposite directions). For FR, I just clicked on the double-sided option in the main parameters. I haven't even checked to see how FR renders with different material on each side of a poly.

CGTalk Moderation
12-02-2005, 02:46 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.