PDA

View Full Version : noobie question: laying flat color in painter?

whiteweazel
12-01-2005, 02:43 PM
Well, I've noticed, and it isn't necessarily a bad thing, that my layers are really messy. Instead of having laid down flat color for the skin tone or a shirt, locking transparency, and flying in the breeze the rest of the way, in painter I use new layers only to paint over and fix errors and problems. The main problem I find is that often I will be wasting time, having painted a particular area nicely, I have to fix the other edge and end up ruining it-repainting, ruining, repainting, etc.

In photoshop I'd probably use the lasso tool, but what's the best way to lay flat color in a certain set area in painter? It might just be my imagination, but the lasso tool in painter does not offer as many options as in photoshop. Should I just do layers in photoshop and transfer over to corel? Perhaps erasing into the flat color to define the edge and then locking the transparency?

Just curious what the masters do,
Thanks,
whiteweazel21

zerae
12-01-2005, 08:41 PM
I just use a circular brush with size controlled by pen pressure with the rest unchecked I also set the spacing to 34 for speed and cover the area like I would with tradional media no need for lasso tool with Painter. For me the less fooling around with Painter the better if you have PS try doing the flats there and finish painting in Painter it's up to you to see what works best.

whiteweazel
12-02-2005, 01:38 AM
So..you basically do the paint/erase method for setting transparent layers? Or are you talking about flat out painting?

The problem I have with the natural way of painting (--lol?) is that say you have a face painted, but you decide to change hair color, there is virtually no way that you could change that haircolor without touching/altering the face pixels. In the long run, I have a feeling the seperate layers with the transparent pixel option checked is the fastest method of painting a final/finish piece, no?

zerae
12-02-2005, 02:25 AM
I was talking about flat out painting in this step its easy to change colors if I'm not happy with let's say the hair color of some character I just use the paint bucket and fill in with the new color, if you separate each color flat on each layer you could use the selection tool and use the tonal control and adjust the color.

If you want to correct or add something over do you check the pickup underlying color on the layers palette? This way you can work as if you were on the main layer and mix the colors without the fear of messing up your work when you're happy just clean up the egdes with the eraser then group the layers and collapse them that's what I do but then again I'm no master ;) . Please show examples with pictures I think it's easier to understand.

Just curious how many layers on average do you work with in Painter?

CGTalk Moderation
12-02-2005, 02:25 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.