PDA

View Full Version : PSP street art rankles residents

Stillwell
12-01-2005, 02:37 PM
Apparent underground graffiti-ad campaign has some blogging Los Angelenos ticked off.

A few weeks ago, keen-eyed residents of San Francisco, New York, Los Angeles, Philadelphia, and Chicago began noticing some rather strange street art. A series of identical graffiti characters (pictured) began appearing on buildings and sidewalks in each of the cities.

Besides their high quality, what set them apart was that all the characters were playing with Sony's handheld, the PSP. However, Sony has not officially endorsed the various pieces of art, which, in most cases, is illegally painted onto public and private property. Requests for comment on the campaign were unreturned as of press time.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6140637.html

Which, in most cases, is illegally painted onto public and private property.

If that's true, then that's bad. I'm not into the whole company-bashing trend, whether it's Microsoft or Sony, but this is (another) very bad move from Sony, if true.

Slurry
12-01-2005, 03:06 PM
Not cool. Vandalism sucks.

Kirt
12-01-2005, 04:42 PM
Michelle also told Popgadget she has since taken action against the PSP graffiti. "I called the city today to have the stencils on the back of Juan's Market painted over," she wrote. "For some strange reason, I'd rather see my friendly local gang lay claim to that wall then have it given over to some crappy corporation and their urban marketing campaign." "Friendly local gang"? :eek:

What? You mean like Oompa-Loompas? :D

MCronin
12-01-2005, 04:47 PM
IBM also did this in the past. 4 or 5 years ago they had street teams running around with stencils spray painting little penguins and other linux centric icons everywhere,

j alan hawkins
12-01-2005, 04:48 PM
I was in San Fran for Thanksgiving and it was everywhere, slapped on mirrors in bathrooms, on a garage door, all over private property.

//lame

sketchguy
12-01-2005, 04:57 PM
I literally watched them be painted directly across from my aptartment window a few weeks ago down in the East Village, NYC. There are three separate instances in a 1-block radius down here.

-Steve

ntmonkey
12-01-2005, 07:44 PM
WTF?

SF and then NY? Surely this isn't a touring graffiti troupe. If it's corporate, then we've sunk to a new all-time low.

Lu

Thelvin
12-01-2005, 07:55 PM
While this does look like a marketing stradegy from sony, I don't see why they choose this drawings to be painted everywhere.

The painted kids look hypnotize by this device. They seem to be playing different activities yet the psp is always present. Sounds more like oppression, like they can't stay away from this device which is everywhere. Looks like this is more of a " stay away from this !" kinda add.

One of them is even licking it like a icecream! its kinda disturbing, I would not buy this or buy it to my kids (if I had any :P after seen this paintings/graffiti.

This may very well be sonys stradegy of course. Creating something disturbing to draw more attention to it. Advertisement has always been a very screwed up way of deceiving consumers. I hate it...

monovich
12-01-2005, 08:32 PM
wow. sony is full of winning ideas these days.

Neoklassik
12-01-2005, 08:49 PM
Sounds like they need some Chuck Norris roundhouse kicks to the head.

EpShot
12-01-2005, 10:49 PM
wow, thats really bad.
i saw soem of the penguins in SF, i don't know how bad it realyl was, but i only ever saw them once in a while on the side walk corners. really not that bad IMO, i mena over all. i thought it was kinda cute. low key, and easy to miss.

but these are huge and on buildings. very very lame. "Bad form" sony, very, very bad form.

TopherMartini
12-01-2005, 11:01 PM
Good call :thumbsup:

Neil
12-01-2005, 11:04 PM
Surely this isn't a touring graffiti troupe. If it's corporate, then we've sunk to a new all-time low.

I thought we entered a new low when boxers started painting websites on their chests and backs.

erilaz
12-01-2005, 11:06 PM

Heh heh hee! I love thread crossovers.:D

On topic, I think the PSP has MORE than enough publicity without needing this as well.

Kirt
12-01-2005, 11:10 PM
Maybe it's being financed by Microsoft?
The plot thickens ... :twisted:

JeroenDStout
12-01-2005, 11:18 PM
Heh, that's soo Half-life 2. Must admit I find some quite nice-looking, really. Even if it's illigal.

P_T
12-02-2005, 02:34 AM
The emergence of the PSP graffiti characters isn't the first time street art has helped hype a game product. In May, the Xbox 360 teaser Ourcolony.net ant logo was plastered all around many US and European metropolises.

Now you know where they got the idea from.;)

Ordibble-Plop
12-02-2005, 02:45 AM
I thought we entered a new low when boxers started painting websites on their chests and backs.

Not so.

On the subject of illegal advertising:

Vodafone streakers (http://www.streaking.co.uk/relatednewsvodafonestreakers.htm)

CGTalk Moderation
12-02-2005, 02:45 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.