PDA

View Full Version : Scaling Simulations

DTFD
12-01-2005, 04:16 AM
Hello!

I have a Maya 7 2D Fluid Simulation involving one emitter, and two fields. I am happy with what I'm getting and have imported it into another scene file. I need to scale the whole sim to fit with the set and the character. I've scaled containers before and have the sim stay proportionate, however this one has got a strange issue. When I scale the container down...the simulation increases in size...and then scale up is visa versa. Just wondering if there is a specific way to scale simulations and have everything behave the same. I've tried gouping/parenting the emitters and the fields etc...oh and scaling the set/character is one option that I'm trying to avoid.

thanks for any advice or suggestions!

peace

DTFD

AndersEgleus
12-01-2005, 09:29 AM
I really recommend simulating at the scale where you got satisfying results to begin with. If you have colission objects or other fluid-affecting objects in your original scene, you can just export them and group and scale the group down. When you group, make sure you only group skeletons of characters, not skinned meshes, also after grouping, you should zero the pivot of the group, using xform -ztp; . After simulating, cache the fluid, group it and zero the group's pivot and scale it up by the same amount you scaled your geometry down, export it and import it into the scene with the rest of the geometry.

If the geometry doesn't affect the simulation in any way, it's even easier, just simulate, cache, export and import it into the other scene, then scale it and move it where you want it.

DTFD
12-01-2005, 04:42 PM
Thanks alot for the help. Works!

CGTalk Moderation
12-01-2005, 04:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.