PDA

View Full Version : On wind and such...?

Merlin
11-22-2002, 02:20 AM
Hey, I've got a scene where I'd like to add a small bit of wind to the grass (and the tree, but I figured I'd just fake that with bones), problem... I don't really know how to use the wind effects with Sas-Lite. At present, I haven't applied Sas-Lite to the object, rather than splines... somehow I'm thinking that I probably should use splines instead? maybe, apply a weight map to all the splines, and use a couple of bones with follower? ... what would you use??? Thanks,

Merlin

PS Countdown until "Planet of the Grapes" must be finished: 10 Days 5 hours. What is this thing they call sleep?

Steve Warner
11-22-2002, 02:36 AM
Planet of the Grapes? :scream: ROTFL!

You might want to try using a textured displacement map on the Sasquatch object. That should give you the blowing grass look you're after.

Here's a tutorial on using Sasquatch to do leaves.

http://balo.com/tutortree01.shtml

Scroll down to the bottom (after clicking the I have Sasquatch link) and view the Quicktime. It's pretty impressive, and very easy to set up.

Hope this helps!

Steve

Merlin
11-22-2002, 04:13 AM
Hey, this is exactly what I'm looking for! Now for the displacement map, I'm guessing I should use some type of procedural and animate it ... ?.... how does this work exactly? I think I sort of remember seeing something that if you use a null for a reference object in the surface/texture editor, and animate the null, the texture would move in relation to the null's position/rotation... does this sound right, or did I just make this up?

Doing a test render of about 20 frames using a Smoky3 procedural displacement, so I guess I'll know in a few minutes! Thanks for your help!

Merlin

Steve Warner
11-22-2002, 04:56 AM
I'm glad that helped! You could use a reference null, but it might be easier to simply Envelope the Texture Position a specified distance over time. Fractal noise works well in this type of situation, but almost any organic texture will probably work.

Let us know how it turns out. This looks like a fun project!

Steve

Merlin
11-22-2002, 05:04 AM
definately fun, I graduate in December and this is my senior thesis project, and is also going to be a huge chunk of my demo reel (it's basically set up as a teaser trailer, with a few loosely connected scenes). If you're bored check out the first draft of the first 5 seconds here:

http://jake.drama.uga.edu/~nholman/Movies/WindowKingScene.mov

it's got some tweaking to do (i.e., the king's waist banks but doesn't pitch, and his left foot needs to turn a little as well)
but other than minor problems I really like the way it's turning out. Most people can't even tell that's my voice, either.

Thanks for the help, and if all goes as planned, I should have this grass scene ready to go by tomorrow afternoon/night. I'll be sure to post here if I do, thanks again,

Merlin

Merlin
11-22-2002, 12:56 PM
Hey it worked!!!!!!!:bounce: The grass moves! The grass moves! The lip synch is kind of off, but who cares, the grass moves!!!!!! Check it out:

http://jake.drama.uga.edu/~nholman/Movies

click on GrassDraft3.mov

Thanks again, Steve,

Neal

Irie
11-22-2002, 01:50 PM
lmao!

That is great Neal!

I love the desperation, the feeling of isolation and depression... makes me soooo happy.

good work. cant wait to see the jail scene!

Steve Warner
11-22-2002, 01:59 PM
Nice work, Neal! :thumbsup: Glad I could help. Be sure to post something here when you're done. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished result! :)

Steve

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.