PDA

View Full Version : Poly Count does SPD=Subdivide?

Glyptic
11-30-2005, 11:38 AM
I'm working with texturing for STL output.
For purposes of rendering and creating textures I can use SPD. For final output I need to use Functions>Subdivide to create a high poly model to create a smoothe texture.
My question is, do the settings in SPD Subdivide Level 1-8, create the same number of polys as the 1-8 settings in Subdivide. My preliminary visual tests say "Yes".
Obviously SPD does not change the *real* poly count of the model and Subdivide does, which is why I need to use Subdivide for my model's output.
Thanks in advance for any insights.
cheers,
glyptic

mmhnemo
11-30-2005, 12:05 PM
Without having tested it i believe SubPolygon Division uses the same CatmullClark algorithm.
At least in my toolset its interchangeable.

AdamT
11-30-2005, 02:09 PM
Yes, SPD subdivides the mesh like HN. Be aware, though, that different HN methods have different levels of subdivision. Namely, the older v7 subdivision method has finer grain control, e.g., subdivision level 4 of a cube resuts in around 350 polys, while level 4 with Catmull-Clark results in around 1500 polys.

You can enable the the Cel render effect (with Edges) if you want to actually see the topology that SPD is using.

Glyptic
11-30-2005, 03:35 PM
Thanks for posting guys.
Adam, thats the kind of technical information I need.
When you say "v7" are you referring to Cinema's R7?
Thanks again for the help.
cheers,
larry

pzdm
11-30-2005, 03:39 PM
Thanks for posting guys.
Adam, thats the kind of technical information I need.
When you say "v7" are you referring to Cinema's R7?
Thanks again for the help.
cheers,
larry

I am not Adam :-)), but...

No, in HN are three modes, linear (R7), catmull-clark and catmull-clark (n-gons)...

Glyptic
11-30-2005, 04:24 PM
Hi, Pavel. Thanks for the tip.
In texturing something like tree bark would there be an advantage to including n-gons?
Polygon count is more or less irrelevant. My textured models are small (under 14x8mm usually) and I end up with 500,000 to a few million polys. Faithful reproduction of the texture is whats essential.
Thanks again.
cheers,
larry

AdamT
11-30-2005, 05:11 PM
If you're using UVW mapping you might be better off witht the Catmull-Clark (non-Ngon) method, because it provides a number of options for dealing with UV subdivision.

Glyptic
11-30-2005, 05:19 PM
Hi, Adam,
I rarely UVW as I need to Scale, Move, Rotate the texture. So I generally use everything except UVW. Shrink Wrap and Camera whatever are also useless for my needs.
For Subdivision I generally *do not* click the HyperNurbs box. I subdivide with a setting of 1, over and over until I get what I want. Helps keep from from hitting that OOM wall also.
This information is very helpful. I find Cinema's texturing options (displacement) to be very powerful.
cheers,
larry

pzdm
12-01-2005, 06:16 AM
Hi, Adam,
I rarely UVW as I need to Scale, Move, Rotate the texture. So I generally use everything except UVW. Shrink Wrap and Camera whatever are also useless for my needs.
For Subdivision I generally *do not* click the HyperNurbs box. I subdivide with a setting of 1, over and over until I get what I want. Helps keep from from hitting that OOM wall also.
This information is very helpful. I find Cinema's texturing options (displacement) to be very powerful.
cheers,
larry

Rem: PLease visit http://www.3dsoftware.cz/3dsoftware/show.asp?nid=162. There are two examples of difference between two major UV modes in HysperNURBS function (linear and edge).

Glyptic
12-01-2005, 10:36 AM
Thanks Pavel.
Unfortunately, my language skills do not include Czech. I'll try to run it through one of those "mechanical" translators later.
Unless there is an English version hidden somewhere on the site.
I should probably look that stuff up in other texts as well.
I did doublt check and I've been using Catmull-Clark (n-gons) and its been working well.
Thanks again for the heads up on the info.
larry

CGTalk Moderation
12-01-2005, 10:36 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.